Nothing But Blue Skies

haha, i cant belive i saw this..he was my french teacher until i left last year..he let me read an extract of this book last year..i was just looking at it then on google and this was on their

I've just read 'Nothing But Blue Skies’ and can confirm its a really good read.

It's about the authors life growing up in Middleton and watching City play and going to gigs at the Electric Circus etc.

jayblue said:
2bluegp said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-4NkkC-ys[/youtube]
there ya go!
great voice for a darts player

Dexys Midnight Runners had a song inthe early 80s called 'Jackie Wilson said'.

When they were on top of the pops some bright spark had got a picture of Jocky Wilson on the big screen behind them.

Anyone who followed City in the late 60s might be interested in this story. (And if you're not, tough. I'm telling it anyway.)

On the night of Friday 8th/Saturday 9th December 1967 there was a heavy fall of snow across the Manchester area. Two significant things happened.

The first is that the following day - ie the Saturday - my Mum (then 9 and a half months pregnant) decided to get a shovel and clear the snow from the pavement outside our house. As she had planned, the exertion brought on her overdue labour and I was born at 8.10 the following morning.

The second is that City played Spurs at Maine Road on a snow covered pitch. Although Jimmy Greaves scored for Spurs early on, City gave an incredible performance and turned in a 4-1 win. The game has passed into Blues Folklore and is usually known as the Ballet on Ice. For my 40th birthday I was given a copy of the Sunday Times for the day I was born which of course carried the report of the game.

I read Mike Summerbee's autobiography recently, and although I knew what a significant game the Ballet on Ice was, I had never quite appreciated how much it meant to the players. It's a City win, albeit one before I was born, that means quite a lot to me, too.

It was a lot more than just the score, it was when people suddenly took notice that this was a team who has everything, they slaughtered Spuds in a manner that brook no argument, with a style of play that was pace, grace, and power..........with a swagger thrown in.

Its one of those games that stays with you if you were there, all of a sudden Big Mal was not a media scapegoat, Joe Mercer was not on his last legs with a club going nowhere, they were the real deal an now everyone knew it.

Gary James said:
Not been able to get this yet. Anyone know where it's on sale? Amazon don't seem to have any and I didn't see it in the City Store last week.
The Citystore have sold out but it is in Waterstones on Deansgate and in the shop at Urbis. If you prefer, if you email me at keoboy@fsmail.net then I will send you a copy by return of post. Cheers. Tim Keogh.

Tim Keogh will be reading from "Nothing but blue skies" at Hyde Library on Monday March 1st from 6:30 until 7:30. Admission is free and Tim will be selling and signing copies on the night.
tommyducks said:
Nothing But Blue Skies is a new book by Tim Keogh, on sale now in the club shop.

It documents childhood and adolescence as a City fan in the late 60s and early 70s, and is a great read (I read it in one go.) If you are late 40s/early 50s, or you know someone who is, this is a great Christmas present. I have also bought my dad a copy, as he first took me to Maine Road in 68.

Tim Keogh will be talking about watching City in the late 60s and early 70s on Sunday the 2nd June at the Albert Club Book Festival on Old Lansdowne Road in Didsbury. The event runs from 1;00 till 7;30 and Tim is speaking at 3;00. The follow up to Nothing But Blue Skies entitled This Was Our City will be available in time for the new season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.