[Official] Guardiola to manage City next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken from Football365's mailbox http://www.football365.com/news/mails-guardiola-hes-average-and-over-hyped

Pep and his balls

As soon as the news was announced that Pep Guardiola would be the next manager of Manchester City there was a soul-sapping inevitability about the response of a minority of fans, and this morning’s mailbox did not disappoint. As soon as I opened the *yawn* email from Greg Benham, I’d have put my mortgage, if I had one, on the letter being from an Arsenal fan, disdain and moral superiority seeping from every word. My only surprise is he didn’t mention net spends or organic growth. File with the “is Pep all that?” comments. Pep will no doubt be devastated that a few fans of rival clubs are disappointed in him.

To put the response to Guardiola’s move to City into some sort of perspective. Have you ever – EVER – previously heard a fan bemoaning a top manager for not taking the best job available to him? When Mourinho was last available, did you hear a swathe of United and Arsenal fans (it’s always them) suggest that he would be perceived as a coward if he didn’t go for the Aston Villa or Stoke job, which would be a proper challenge? No, of course you didn’t, as that would be ridiculous. Except of course when City are involved, which allows perspective to be skewed somewhat and allows desperate fans running out of things to criticise the club for counting empty seats at the club with the 3rd highest attendances in England. After all, if you were one of the UK’s top company directors, you wouldn’t take a pay cut to manage a struggling village store “for the challenge”. Get real – the best managers will naturally want the best jobs.

And just because you read somewhere that Guardiola wanted a club with history (City were formed in 1894 under their current name – even MK Dons have a history. The words you are looking for are “success in the 1990s and 2000s”) does not make it a fact or demean his decision. Surely making history is more important than looking back at it anyway? What’s more, to suggest that taking over a team that haven’t yet reached the Quarter Final stage of the Champions League is not a challenge is palpably rubbish.

But anyway, some have missed the point of why Guardiola has moved to City. It is not just because of squad strength and wealth (and let’s not keep up the charade that City have more money than everyone else – United have, City are running at a profit now and will spend what their revenue allows, as they will not fail FFP again, which very much still exists. Our owners could leave tomorrow, it wouldn’t change much). No, he came here because it has been planned by City’s owners and Txiki Begiristain and Ferran Soriano for years and years.
So let’s spell out why he came to rainy, grey Manchester. He gets to work with trusted friends, confidantes. He oversees one of the best academies in world football, where all age groups play the same brand of football. The club structure is professional, and he will get levels of support he wouldn’t get elsewhere. And winning in Europe clearly presents a new challenge, in a new domestic league too. Basically, he has the perfect working conditions to succeed in, the ground work has been put in to capture him for at least 4 years and the academy has been shaped to lead up to this point in time. Why would he go anywhere else? Pep’s appointment is the result of proper planning, management and club development – and boy did City need some of that for a change. It’s easier with money of course, but that shouldn’t detract from the job that has been done – just look down the road.

This is not a guarantee of success of course – no one can guarantee success. The players may struggle with his intensity of play, the league may surprise him with its competitiveness. But it’s as close a guarantee of success that City could have hoped for, so it was a no-brainer, and Pellegrini, who has acted with dignity and class, knew this day was coming from the day he arrived at the club. With Klopp at Liverpool, Mourinho possibly at United and the wealth of the upcoming TV deal meaning Stoke can spend £18m on a player (as it should be), it could be a fascinating 2016/17 season. Try and enjoy it rather than letting your bitterness take over yet again.
Howard, Manchester

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35467814

"I am not sure that even David Silva fits into the template of speed and tenacity that Guardiola's pressing style requires."

If there is any 'Pep' style player, Aguero aisde, it is Silva; I don't know what Murphy is talking about.

hmm maybe he's on about Silva's pressing/workrate off the ball. I'm by no means criticising Dave, in my opinion he's one of our greatest ever players and has been one of the main reasons for our success over the last few years, but hes approaching 30 and we all know the work rate Guardiola demands from his players. I think there's definitely a place for him in a Guardiola team, look at Fabregas at Barca Maybe he will utilize Silva more deeper who knows.

Taken from Football365's mailbox http://www.football365.com/news/mails-guardiola-hes-average-and-over-hyped

Pep and his balls

As soon as the news was announced that Pep Guardiola would be the next manager of Manchester City there was a soul-sapping inevitability about the response of a minority of fans, and this morning’s mailbox did not disappoint. As soon as I opened the *yawn* email from Greg Benham, I’d have put my mortgage, if I had one, on the letter being from an Arsenal fan, disdain and moral superiority seeping from every word. My only surprise is he didn’t mention net spends or organic growth. File with the “is Pep all that?” comments. Pep will no doubt be devastated that a few fans of rival clubs are disappointed in him.

To put the response to Guardiola’s move to City into some sort of perspective. Have you ever – EVER – previously heard a fan bemoaning a top manager for not taking the best job available to him? When Mourinho was last available, did you hear a swathe of United and Arsenal fans (it’s always them) suggest that he would be perceived as a coward if he didn’t go for the Aston Villa or Stoke job, which would be a proper challenge? No, of course you didn’t, as that would be ridiculous. Except of course when City are involved, which allows perspective to be skewed somewhat and allows desperate fans running out of things to criticise the club for counting empty seats at the club with the 3rd highest attendances in England. After all, if you were one of the UK’s top company directors, you wouldn’t take a pay cut to manage a struggling village store “for the challenge”. Get real – the best managers will naturally want the best jobs.

And just because you read somewhere that Guardiola wanted a club with history (City were formed in 1894 under their current name – even MK Dons have a history. The words you are looking for are “success in the 1990s and 2000s”) does not make it a fact or demean his decision. Surely making history is more important than looking back at it anyway? What’s more, to suggest that taking over a team that haven’t yet reached the Quarter Final stage of the Champions League is not a challenge is palpably rubbish.

But anyway, some have missed the point of why Guardiola has moved to City. It is not just because of squad strength and wealth (and let’s not keep up the charade that City have more money than everyone else – United have, City are running at a profit now and will spend what their revenue allows, as they will not fail FFP again, which very much still exists. Our owners could leave tomorrow, it wouldn’t change much). No, he came here because it has been planned by City’s owners and Txiki Begiristain and Ferran Soriano for years and years.
So let’s spell out why he came to rainy, grey Manchester. He gets to work with trusted friends, confidantes. He oversees one of the best academies in world football, where all age groups play the same brand of football. The club structure is professional, and he will get levels of support he wouldn’t get elsewhere. And winning in Europe clearly presents a new challenge, in a new domestic league too. Basically, he has the perfect working conditions to succeed in, the ground work has been put in to capture him for at least 4 years and the academy has been shaped to lead up to this point in time. Why would he go anywhere else? Pep’s appointment is the result of proper planning, management and club development – and boy did City need some of that for a change. It’s easier with money of course, but that shouldn’t detract from the job that has been done – just look down the road.

This is not a guarantee of success of course – no one can guarantee success. The players may struggle with his intensity of play, the league may surprise him with its competitiveness. But it’s as close a guarantee of success that City could have hoped for, so it was a no-brainer, and Pellegrini, who has acted with dignity and class, knew this day was coming from the day he arrived at the club. With Klopp at Liverpool, Mourinho possibly at United and the wealth of the upcoming TV deal meaning Stoke can spend £18m on a player (as it should be), it could be a fascinating 2016/17 season. Try and enjoy it rather than letting your bitterness take over yet again.
Howard, Manchester

Pep and his balls

Howard, Manchester
Bravo sir

http://keithandrew.media/2016/02/02...-about-man-city-than-footballs-elite-realise/

This lad obviously isn't too easily swayed by the negative slant on all things City that's come from the media over the past 8 years.

He's not a lifelong blue, but rather a new resident of our great city, who opened up his eyes for himself and took a look around when he arrived.

This is the club's target audience, and it's working! Great piece - take 5 minutes out from what you're doing to listen to his views. Makes you proud to be a blue!!!

The Guardiola Game: Pep’s appointment says more about Man City than football’s elite realise

In some ways, the revelation that Pep Guardiola is to take over as manager of Manchester City in the coming summeris the most unsurprising news of the football season. As the club admitted in its press statement yesterday, City have been chasing the current Bayern Munich manager since 2012 and, arguably, this is the managerial move its owners have been heading towards since they took over in 2008.

In other ways, however, it’s no exaggeration to say confirmation of Guardiola to Manchester City sent shockwaves across the city when it was announced yesterday.

Despite all the success, despite all the investment, City fans are very much a ‘glass half empty’ bunch, and for those who have lived in this city for longer than I, memories of scrapping in the lower leagues of English football are still very fresh in the memory. Whether or not Guardiola goes on to achieve the levels of success at Man City almost everyone now expects he will is, for the moment, a side issue: right now, the very fact City have been able to attract a name like Pep is massive, massive news.

And it’s not massive news for just City either, but rather the city of Manchester as a whole. Aside from United fans, most Man City detractors who talk of the club “buying the league” and being nothing but big spenders are unaware of the impact Man City’s relatively new found riches has had on large chunks of the city. It’s true to say that Eastlands, Man City’s current base, came to life before the club moved there in the run up to the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester. The Etihad started life as the Games’ official stadium, and its construction kickstarted the regeneration of an industrial wasteland that was home to little more than abandoned buildings and housing estates.

welcometomanchestersmall.png

The Commonwealth Games sparked the initial flame, but the full on fire that’s now burning in the east of Manchester is almost wholly down to Manchester City. In the last couple of years, the club’s owners have not only upgraded and expanded the Etihad Stadium itself – upgrades that still have a year or so to go – but they’ve built a mass of training facilities, a world leading academy, a sixth form college, a sports centre and new stadium for City’s EDS (Elite Development Squad) and Women’s team that’s big and slick enough to rival many of those playing host to Football League matches.

Indeed, the formation of the Women’s team is itself something the club can be proud of, but it’s Manchester City’s desire to spread the club’s influence well beyond the beautiful game that means more to residents like me. A couple of years ago, Manchester City Council announced that Man City’s owners were to invest £1 billion to help build 6,000 social and private homes in a corridor in East Manchester, helping to both expand and lift the quality of affordable housing in the city for residents – existing and incoming – for years to come. It would be naïve to suggest that there’s no benefit to City here; aside from drumming up some positive PR, it’s in the interests of Man City’s owners that Manchester – a city that’s been in a constant, almost frantic state of regeneration and progression for the last 20 years – continues to evolve at the pace it has been to date.

Though those in the south of England fail to see beyond the undeniable beacon that is London, those who have taken the time out to explore Manchester know that it is a dynamic and often radical, multicultural and creative city with a realistic grip on its place in history and an unshakeable desire to push itself forward even further in the future. ‘Manchester does things differently’ is one of the city’s mottos and, having gone from complete newcomer to self appointed evangelist over the course of the last seven years, I know this to be true. It’s why Manchester City’s drive to take what was still one of the most deprived parts of the country and turn it into a base capable of playing host to the likes of Agüero, Toure, Silva and De Bruyne is as crazy as it is ambitious. The will of City’s owners demands that Manchester City be one of Europe’s giants, and they’re determined to bring the city the club is tied to along for the ride.

city_sound_stand.jpg

The Etihad’s new South Stand, unveiled at the start of this season
And that’s just as it should be. When I moved to Manchester in early 2009, I did so out of a love for the city. I moved here without any allegiance to a particular football club (despite a love for the game) and with an entirely open mind. Within weeks I was naturally drawn to City because, living on the Manchester side of the Manchester-Salford border, MCFC was rooted into the city’s very streets. Comparatively, United had no presence here. Not even a shop in the city centre, or any notable support that I could see within Manchester proper, rather than Greater Manchester as a whole.

City’s owners have been aware of these roots since day one and, unlike other foreign owners who either fleece their clubs dry or simply pump cash into them with little thought for the supporters or the community around them, Manchester City’s Abu Dhabi owners have always seen investment in MCFC as more than just flooding a football club with money. On the one side you have the corporate reality – the desire to take the ‘City’ brand and expand it into New York, Melbourne and Yokohama. On the other side you have the sense of community, and the decision to lift Manchester as a whole rather than just the Etihad and its immediate surroundings.

Those who continue to fill column inches by talking of Manchester City “buying” trophies do so in complete (and wilful) ignorance of just what the club and its owners are doing for Manchester and the people that live here. Ironically, despite the amount of money that it has no doubt cost City to bring Pep Guardiola to the Etihad, his appointment at the club – and the seemingly classy way Pellegrini’s departure has been handled when compared to the deposition of his predecessor Mancini – is likely to soften many of Man City’s critics. If you’re a football fan, you can only be pleased that Pep has chosen to come to England, whatever the club.

However, Pep’s appointment is about far more than snapping up one of football’s most accomplished managers. It’s about building a legacy, it’s about City cementing its place at the top table, and it’s about ensuring that the club continues to grow and buries its roots deeper and deeper into the city it calls home. Welcome to Manchester, Guardiola.

5 United fans interviewed outside the Theatre of Sleep.

3 from Ireland, and the other 2 from down South. Arf!

Basically they were gutted. Then they spluttered some excuses why he should have joined United instead of City. I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.