Old swimming pools

Burnage Burnsy

To follow up the old cinema thread.

I basically went to three as a kid.

Victoria baths in Longsight. Very old fashioned with changing cubicles around the sides of the pool. Very creepy in hindsight.

Sharston baths in Wythenshawe. Remember the high diving board and the fact the word SWIM had fallen off the front of the building. It was known as MING POOL for years.

Cheadle baths. When we felt like a treat.

Some I used to go to:-

Stalybridge...The "lifeguard" was an old bald guy about 100 with no teeth and always had a giant white mug of tea in his hand.

Ashton Baths.

Hyde Baths

Wythenshawe...(used to go with the school in the mid sixties)

Gorton Baths...(grew up in Gorton)....happy days

Glossop Baths...nice baths in pleasant surroundings...

Hayfield outdoor baths............now long gone

Plenty of old swimming baths( in ruins) here........(Grange over Sands very interesting)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php/7-Leisure-Sites" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/for ... sure-Sites</a>

The blue lagoon in Oferton the height of chic back in the day.Now Sharston was a work of art big diving boards seats on both sides of the pool then they made the pool to short so it could never be used for national or inter national events.

mancitymick said:
Used to be always Sale baths, However for a treat we would venture over to Sharston baths just for the high diving board
Those were the days when going to Sharston was a treat...

You know you're getting old when the swimming pool that replaced the one where you learned to swim, has itself been replaced because it was too old.

The old baths in Heywood is now a Kingdom Hall.

[bigimg]http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Heywood/TaylorStJW.jpg[/bigimg]

The outside of the building looks a lot smarter than it did when I was growing up.
Like Harpurhey baths, they had changing rooms all along the side of the pool. They also had balconies either side of the pool with male changing rooms on one side and female on the other. The older boys told me it was possible to see into the girls changing rooms by climbing up the side of the partition(which didn't go all the way to the ceiling)
Jumping off the balcony directly into the pool was enough to earn a ban, but it didn't stop people from doing it.
Local legend has it that the fat pool attendant was caught peeping in the girls changing room and was duly sacked. So I was mildly surprised when I went to senior school to find he was now the caretaker.
I remember his name too, but I won't repeat it on here because in all probability he was just the victim of schoolboy gossip.

Withington baths.

The galleon open air pool in East Didsbury in the hot summer days of 1973.

Happy days - swimming costumes for goal posts.

And that was how I got my first conviction.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.