On This Day 26th April 1969: Manchester City FA Cup Champions:

Went there and back on a Finglands coach that picked us up on Platt Lane. As we set off we crashed into a Hillman Imp. I was thrown into the back of the seat ahead of me. Cut my head and had a blinding headache. Paramedics arrived and asked if anyone was hurt. I averted their gaze and pulled my homemade top hat down over my wound. I was convinced I’d be taken to hospital and miss the trip. A new coach was summoned and off we went.
Stood behind and to the left of the goal we scored in.
First trip to London for me, never mind Wembley, aged 18.

Went there and back on a Finglands coach that picked us up on Platt Lane. As we set off we crashed into a Hillman Imp. I was thrown into the back of the seat ahead of me. Cut my head and had a blinding headache. Paramedics arrived and asked if anyone was hurt. I averted their gaze and pulled my homemade top hat down over my wound. I was convinced I’d be taken to hospital and miss the trip. A new coach was summoned and off we went.
Stood behind and to the left of the goal we scored in.
First trip to London for me, never mind Wembley, aged 18.
Great memory to have mate

Was 12 and went on the train from Picadilly with my dad. They were actually selling programmes on Picadilly Station and Joe Corrigan who wasn't a first teamer then signed mine.
Sat at the side right in line with Nelly Youngs winning goal. Funny thing I remember is they weren't real seats but like school gym branches just loose on the terrace and when we stood on them to get a better view a lot tipped over. No one seemed to bother but can't imagine that today !

My dad and uncle took us to that game I don’t remember how we got there and back
The car broke down on the way home
I was 8 at the time and I missed the goal because everyone stood up and me being a short arse back then just gazed at everyone cheering jumping up and down.

Great memories, I was fourteen and went to every round of the cup that year. Including the away win at Blackburn on a knackered old coach from Hubert Hackett’s in Levenshulme, which broke down in Car Park leaving the ground. In those days you needed to collect programme tokens from home games on a token sheet and covers of away programmes and submit them with your ticket application. I think you needed 40 (from fading memory). I was a few short so I cut out the tokens for the missing numbers out of the previous seasons’ programmes and guessed they’d be so busy in the ticket office they wouldn’t notice - they didn’t ! My ticket arrived and I put it under the mirror over the fireplace…the fucking thing slid out and slowly wafted it’s way into out on to an open coal fire - never moved so fast before or since and snatched it before it burnt. Great day out at Wembley. Just knew we’d do it !

Great memories, I was fourteen and went to every round of the cup that year. Including the away win at Blackburn on a knackered old coach from Hubert Hackett’s in Levenshulme, which broke down in Car Park leaving the ground. In those days you needed to collect programme tokens from home games on a token sheet and covers of away programmes and submit them with your ticket application. I think you needed 40 (from fading memory). I was a few short so I cut out the tokens for the missing numbers out of the previous seasons’ programmes and guessed they’d be so busy in the ticket office they wouldn’t notice - they didn’t ! My ticket arrived and I put it under the mirror over the fireplace…the fucking thing slid out and slowly wafted it’s way into out on to an open coal fire - never moved so fast before or since and snatched it before it burnt. Great day out at Wembley. Just knew we’d do it !
Oh yes the tokens, think there was a sheet in an early season programme to pull out and stick them on.
The season ticket books used to have lettered stubs you use for particular matches. Remember one of my dad's mates sending off with loads of the wrong lettered stubs to get extra and he got them !

I can also proudly say that I went to every round of that great FA Cup run.
My Dad was a musician at The New Elizabethen Ballroom, Belle Vue and one of his fellow band mates used to take me in his car to the away games.
He drove me to Newcastle and Blackburn ( it ended up as an evening match due to the game being postponed a number of times due to freezing weather) and he took me and Dad to Villa Park for the semi -final vs Everton.
And he accompanied us on the coach from Middleton to Wembley, I am pretty sure it was Rex who took the photo of me and Dad outside Wembley I posted earlier.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.