On this day - Keegan Resigns

The start of the Stuart Pearce era. Had to be made of some stern stuff to sit and watch that City side home and away.
It started out quite well, then went to shit, but I remember not being too unhappy when Keegan left, we played some stunning stuff under him, but I'll never forget him disappearing into his jacket at Oldham in the FAC in 2005.

It started out quite well, then went to shit, but I remember not being too unhappy when Keegan left, we played some stunning stuff under him, but I'll never forget him disappearing into his jacket at Oldham in the FAC in 2005.
I agree, I remember not wanting Pearce as manager and disagreeing about his appointment on a different forum from this.
Then at the end of the first few months with him as manager feeling I was wrong. We actually played some decent stuff with Cole and Vassell for a short time. But when it went bad it went very bad.

Loved Kev.

We’ve got a lot of soul-searching to do at this club.

His quote when he wanted a few quid.

Mixed with Anelka!? Without that signing we’d of been straight back to where Keegan found us in no time at all.

Agree with your broader point though, as always he always wanted that extra player, to the point we were used by scouse rejects as a final pay day, at the expense of the likes of Berkovic who had been key to us becoming an establish Prem side again.

I think the real damage he did, was spending vast sums on the likes of Vouso, Macken, Fowler etc al, that led to Bernstein going in protest, it was petering out but what a ride it was.

In my memory mixed - although I've just double- checked the stats and he was top scorer for two years - so OK, probably not fair. I think I'm contrasting my initial reaction of "Wow!" when we signed him - to being so often frustrated by him and unable to get excited by the fact he played for City when we were shit(ish). Some great moments from him - but he was never The Goat was he? :-)

And yes you have listed some better examples of the money wasted in that period when we really couldn't afford to. & there was Danny Mills.

He was brilliant to begin with. We played some stunning football. First season in the PL I think we came 9th, which was a good start, but he never built on this. Some of his transfer business after we were promoted was abysmal. Fowler was a total waste of money. Bischoff, Negoui, Mettomo from memory were rubbish. We over paid for Macken. And then Matias Vuoso...wtf. In the latter phase of his tenure when he was interviewed he just seemed totally depressed all the time.

100% 1st thing Keegan did when winning promotion was build a spine Schmeichel (who did a job short term), Distin, Foe and Anelka who were all great signings at that time
Schmeichel Senior was more than decent for us, put in a great display in away win at Anfield but he probably knew when it was time to go, unlike Seaman 12mths later. Distin, Foe and Anelka all did well for us and were young enough to have a long term future unlike his later signings. RIP MVF.

He was brilliant to begin with. We played some stunning football. First season in the PL I think we came 9th, which was a good start, but he never built on this. Some of his transfer business after we were promoted was abysmal. Fowler was a total waste of money. Bischoff, Negoui, Mettomo from memory were rubbish. We over paid for Macken. And then Matias Vuoso...wtf. In the latter phase of his tenure when he was interviewed he just seemed totally depressed all the time.
Yes I agree. I thought the falling out with Berkovic in season 3 was really bad for us and then the poor signings as you say not forgetting McPointy sort of did for him.
The transfers were just scattergun and made us a worse team.
Still I remember King Kev fondly.

Reactions: Bez
A talker and a serial quitter. I was relieved when he went. IIRC, he said he’d leave at the end of the following season which was awful.

I’m grateful for him retaining Premier League football but that’s it. He’s a Liverpool and Newcastle legend. Never City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.