On This Day May 11th 1991:The Noise is Incredible.Limbs Are Everywhere:

Blue5964

Really enjoyed watching that back. It was a Great game of football,and both sides were up for it .on the last day or the season.

You can feel the noise..Mackems were in town that day, they took over Maine rd in so many ways.Their fans proper turned out for their team. I was loving watching Footbaall in those days,we had a half decent team, 5th in the league,the young home grown players were still about..including the goal keeper,and Steve Redmond, ultra professional Steve, proper committed and he was wound up ,as you can see from the footage..

Sunderland were desperate. Hanging off a cliff..but the wearsiders turned out for that day. Even though not much was riding on the matche for us, we turned up,as did the players, it meant so much to them....
We Fought and battled Sunderland that day. man to man,, we had our proud Kiippax to defend,our home record,we needed to finish above utd.
That was a hard game at Maine Road.
Energy and atmosphere was amazing, i was on the Kippax ...sunderland had a bit of the Kippax terrace that day..they were all round the ground it was mental.Sunderlamd were in town ,and we knew about it.
Intresting to hear Martin Tyler mention Jason Beckford, and the fact that Jason had been at lillishawe all week before the game,..I
I've played on these pitches at lillishawe..Civil service off8ces, national cup..taken very seriously..,they were pristine surfaces to play on back then! All new state of the art Astro turf ( i hated it tbh )
Talking of civil service I understand Pete Davenport used to turn out for the Scouse Birkinhead ? Civil service team back in the day....

It was also great to see Gary Bennett, giving his all,brother of Dave Bennett of course, Gary was very well respected up on Wearside,a battler,hard as nails( can remember his fall out with David Speedie of Chelsea..a proper ruck that was. Speedie did not back down..

Watch8ng that match back I think of the professionalism of the players
There were no contentious decisions really, just two teams ,going at it hammer and tong, on the last day of the season,

That match will live on in my memory..and the commentary is another good example of the young Martin Tyler, brilliant balanced, enthusiastic,knowledgeable....just how he should be,before it all changed.

A match to remember indeed... A perfect reminder of Maine Road.when it was rocking! And the Kippax was ours !

Are the City fans who go on, and on, and bloody on about how brilliant Sunderland fans were in 1991 at Maine Road and 2014 at Wembley related to those City fans who cry at the mere mention of Luton and Spurs?
Yes.but they were brilliant mate. That day Sunderland Football Club turned up at Maine Road. It was proper in its time...
Not interested in other matches you mention,.this is about when Sunderland came to Maine Rd shitting their pants at going down
When both The Team and the fans ,rose to the occasion , stood our ground, and got the job done.
Thats how I remember it,vividly...a proper match, a proper day at a proper ground ,with vociferous support from both ends. Blood curling .
A great game of football. Can't see what there is to be bitter about ?

Yes.but they were brilliant mate. That day Sunderland Football Club turned up at Maine Road. It was proper in its time...
Not interested in other matches you mention,.this is about when Sunderland came to Maine Rd shitting their pants at going down
When both The Team and the fans ,rose to the occasion , stood our ground, and got the job done.
Thats how I remember it,vividly...a proper match, a proper day at a proper ground ,with vociferous support from both ends. Blood curling .
A great game of football. Can't see what there is to be bitter about ?
I'm not bitter about Sunderland fans as they were great on both occasions, more about our lot who still cry about Spurs and Luton.

The noise when they went 2:1 up was mental, top atmosphere.
Yep, that was loud. That goal did my head in ..i was on the kippax and I knew, I just knew,as soon as they broke away with the counter attack....the ball switched to the wing,a cross and Marco Gabbindini ..their Centre forward scored with a diving header, right in front of their own fans Platt lane exploded with noise. It was a Great goal, out of nowhere, and gave Sunderland hope...it was just one of those moments...in your head ,they are gonna score now....it was brilliant mental few seconds....But City stood firm. And got the job done..
We won the game. The battle, which wasn't ours....but we won. For our fans ,for pride.. Great day . Great goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.