Online Opticians

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest

Has anyone used an online optician and been happy with them? Were they very much cheaper than your high street optician for designer frames? If so, can anyone recommend one?

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest said:
Has anyone used an online optician and been happy with them? Were they very much cheaper than your high street optician for designer frames? If so, can anyone recommend one?
Would you be able to read the website?

I got some glasses from one about 2 years ago.

Entered my prescription on line, paid £5 and 3.50 p&p and my glasses arrived about 3 weeks later.

They are fine, just as good as any other glasses I've bought.

I've bought a couple of spare pairs since.

The only thing you need to find out is the distance between your pupils in millimeteres, which is not entered on your prescription at the optician, and they won't tell you it iether as they know you just want to know it to buy glasses on the internet. But it is easy to measure and websites give instructions on how to do it.

I've used glasses direct in the past. Frames and lenses were fine, but they needed adjusting. I couldn't very well just take them into specsavers and ask them to do it (I'm a rum ****, but not that rum!) For the extra few quid I opted for Specsavers again. Being able to try the frames on, and having them sit comfortable is worth the extra few quid IMO

It might be all well and good to get a pair of single vision glasses from online outlets, but I don't see how the hell they can sell varifocals properly.
We (specsavers) see patients come back in for a slight adjustment especially if the are first time wearers, how can they offer this after-care service like the high street opticians can?

cowboys

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest said:

i can 't see the computer keys so i'm goosed really!...double edged sword!

derryCITY said:
It might be all well and good to get a pair of single vision glasses from online outlets, but I don't see how the hell they can sell varifocals properly.
We (specsavers) see patients come back in for a slight adjustment especially if the are first time wearers, how can they offer this after-care service like the high street opticians can?

cowboys

Why are they cowboys?

They charge a pittance, so even if your glasses are not perfect you are hardly getting ripped off.

And for simple, straightforward prescriptions such as mine, they provide good glasses.

I'm old enough to remember the days whan high street opticians charged the earth for their services, and the government eventually decided to open the market up to competiton as a result.

Since that happened, and with the arrival of the internet a few years later, glasses have become much more affordable than they ever were.

As for after care service for my glasses, I've worn glasses since 1981 and have never needed any after care service from an optician.

I use contact lenses and bought a years supply online. I saved over £100 on the lens mail package I was on with specsavers. I say it's worth it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.