Orange phone charges

unsworthblue

Just got a text from Orange saying as from 8th Jan they are increasing the charges by 4.34%,more information go to there website,why are they putting up there prices,simple because they can,just like the gas company's because they can also,i'll try putting my prices up but i can't! everythings going up except the man in the streets pay.If i didn't need my phone i'd tell them to fuck right off but they've got you by the bollocks! thought i'd get that off my chest now i'm off to Arsenal,come on you blues!

Hasn't everything (except wages) gone up though?

If you use more than £20 a month get a contract - if it's only a tenner you're only talking just over 40p a month.

Does this affect contractual customers cos I've not had a text yet. I'm only 4 months into a 24 month contract so if they think they're gonna charge me extra they can suck my plums the thieving bastards

had the same txt,but is it legal as i took out a 24 month contract with them for £17.50 a month so surely it should be that price for the length of the contract

bluemoon27 said:
had the same txt,but is it legal as i took out a 24 month contract with them for £17.50 a month so surely it should be that price for the length of the contract

<a class="postlink" href="http://conversation.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/orange-pay-monthly-price-rise-cancel-contract/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://conversation.which.co.uk/consume ... -contract/</a>

In section 4.3 of the contract Orange states that although you’re able to terminate if Orange makes certain changes the terms of your contract, you’ll be unable to do so if it puts prices up at a rate lower than the RPI measure of inflation

Is Orange playing by the letter of the law?

I’m getting deja-vu from the T-Mobile saga, where that mobile network slashed the data allowance for its existing customers. How can it be right that a company can change the payment terms of your contract when you’re already signed up?

Is Orange behaving legally? It seems that it probably is. Our lawyer Peter McCarthy told us that Orange’s T&Cs would stand unless it could be successfully challenged as ‘unfair’.

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 says a clause is likely to be unfair if it allows ‘a seller […] to increase their price without [...] giving the consumer the corresponding right to cancel the contract if the final price is too high in relation to the price agreed when the contract was concluded’.

Ultimately, the success of any such challenge against Orange would depend on whether the increase was considered to be significant or not.

Ofcom cites material detriment

We also got in touch with the regulator Ofcom, to see whether you should have the right to terminate your contract with Orange. It told us that customers will only be able to cancel if the changes are likely to be of ‘material detriment’ (as per Section 9.6 of the Telecoms Act 2003) which in this particular case, Ofcom was unable to verify.

However, you do have the right ‘to challenge the matter through the provider’s complaint process and, failing that, via Alternative Dispute Resolution.’

Nevertheless, even if Orange is playing by the book, is it being fair to its existing customers? Should companies be able to change prices mid-way through your contract, even if it has allowed itself to do so in the small print? And finally, will you stick with Orange when your contract comes up for renewal? Somehow I doubt it

‘Unfortunately, we’ve had to re-evaluate our prices for the first time and are sorry to say that there will be a 4.34% increase in our monthly plan prices from 8 January 2012. This is lower than the Retail Price Index measure of inflation, which currently stands at 5.4%. Out of plan charges, such as calls, texts and data will not be changing.’

‘Our Pay Monthly terms and conditions allow us to increase charges by up to the RPI figure in any 12 month period. The increase in the price plan charges is less than the 5.4% rate of inflation as measured by the Retail Price Index (RPI) in October 2011.

‘We can increase prices at any time on giving proper notice. In this case, the increase is less than the current rate of inflation and our terms and conditions state that we can do this without giving you the right to cancel your contract without paying the disconnection fee.’

That appears to act against rules laid down by regulator Ofcom that allows customers to terminate a contract when the terms are changed, where those changes cause a 'material detriment' to the customer.

It all depends on the definition of 'material detriment' looking at that. I've got 6 months left on my contract so I'll be trying it on. If not I'll just pay an extra £1.61 for the next 6 months.

Edit: Beaten to it^.

It does seem a bit unfair that they can up their prices but when, as in my case, the amount of minutes I now use compared to when I took my contract out has significantly reduced I am tied to the price I signed up to.

It's due for renewal on 18th of December and I'm seriously considering going for a sim only one month rolling contract. According to the sales team at Orange can get a new Samsung galaxy2 phone, three times the amount of minutes I'm getting now, unlimited texts compared to 500 and 2GB of data rather than 500mb - all that extra will cost me £4 per month less than I'm paying now. Trouble is the term 24 months - after 18 months I can get three times what I originally signed up for so what would be available for my £26 in two years? Four times what I'm being offered now - 4800 minutes, unlimited texts and 12 GB of data?

First Orange thread in the search, hope it brings me an answer.

I've got my kids a Blackberry each for Christmas, both on Orange PAYG. They'll get a dirty topped up on it each month, but what I want to know is, is £5 for the BB Service add on worth it? Also, they will be on 'Dolphin', and I was lead to believe that means free texts, (presume unlimited?), but the Orange fuckers say it's only 400 per month.

Anyone else use something similar and can anyone tell me if I should use £5 of their £10 allowance for the BB Service add on? (They will only want it for BBM).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.