Not open for further replies.
Sterling
Delph
De Bruyne
Otamendi
Pogba...

All wear Nike.

giphy.gif

Everything regarding the development of 20 year old centre halves would suggest he's not ready. 20 on all nearly occassions is too young. I'm sure there are fans at all clubs wanting the next young thing to be their star. 20 years old is too young. Not really an opinion, just commen knowledge in top level football.

Hence teams like Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, Chelsea, ourselves having experienced centre backs.

Raphael Varane.

Last edited:
Sorry to be so blunt, but what have Spurs or Liverpool won recently. It's piss easy giving youngsters a chance when you have no ambition but when you are aiming to be one of the top clubs in Europe and arguably the world then it becomes risk that has to be managed more carefully and cautiously. Should we put that at risk in order to keep a a academy prospect on board, regardless of his quality. I for one, wouldn't. Denayer needs us far more than we need Denayer.
Im not saying just play every youngster for the hell of it, but the only way to know if denayer is good enough is to actually give him a chance and personally I think he derserves that after his performances the past two seasons.

Not saying otemendi is bad player by the way I think he would be class here, he also seems to be a threat from set pieces which would l be a good advanatge to have.

Verane
kovacic
Hojbjerg
Gaudinho
zouma, chelsea also looking at signing a twenty year old

Anymore you want?

Zouma is way ahead of Denayer. Yet I would expect Denayer to have made 15 appearances for City by the time he's Zouma's age. Verane is over 2 years older and is a huge exception and the others are not centre halves. Thanks though.

Chris Smalling is now growing into a decent looking footballer, it's taken how long? Wasn't he playing Sunday league at Denayer's age?
Smalling played in 33 games for United the year he was 20. With that being said, you're right that it's very rare, especially at CB, for a player to be getting consistent minutes at CB as a 20 year old.

Denayer has played 3 times for Belgium (competitive games against Israel and Wales, a friendly against France), and 44 times, in his career, for someone's first team, and that someone was Celtic. Regular appearances, and top performances, against the likes of Kilmarnock, Dundee and Ross County are all well and good, but they're not exactly footballing powerhouses. I think it's possible you're overrating where Denayer is currently with regards to his game.

Even if we don't sign Otamendi Denayer is still likely to play less than 20 times for City this season (with Kompany and Mangala getting the lion's share of starts). There's a strong argument that, with so little first team experience, and at such a lower standard, he'd actually benefit more from a full season as a regular starter in one of Europe's top divisions than he would playing a support role for City.

Belittling Denayer's performances is grossly unfair. He has played in big games against tough opponents, he has played away from home in France & starred, he has narshalled the defence in the San Siro with ten men & starred

If he was bigger, I would start him in every single game ahead of anybody. It is only his physical size which makes me think he needs time. Vinny showed Ivanovich how that works on Sunday & he's a fucking big unit. That's my only concern re Denayer. So play him in another position if he struggles. Get rid of someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.