our academy - overated ? discuss

gh_mcfc

Whilst it can be argued the academy has saved our bacon it can also be argued it hasn`t really produced a top notch player since ......well since possibly swp who we got by accident when he was 14/15

It has produced some good premiership players for us and a few other clubs but not a top notch player. The players it has produced tend to be atheletes first and footballers second.

Is this a product of where we have been in the past needing to make sure we have enough to keep us in the league. Does the academy now have to change its mindset and start to look for a different sort of player. ie real footballers not just atheletes who can play a bit.

Did tonight illustrate how week our academy is ?

It will improve with the new investment and better coaches but...

Can't expect to throw a horde of them on the field in the Carling Cup with very little experience to hold their hand and for it to work. The way we phased in Boyata last season is the way to do it.

Boyata, Guidetti, Nimely, and Weiss (yes, still, if he can progress) are genuine prospects who could become top quality if their progress continues.

Some like Ibrahim and Mee also have good potential but how much remains to be seen.

Then there are those like Vidal and Cunningham who are just not good enough and probably never will be.

We seem to have a lot of good talent at youth level like Roman and Henshall due to our new scouts.

the academy is not overated you cant base it on one game the young players were nervous and your forgetting ( in my opinion) players like trippier and ball werent playing.

This thread is such an OVER REACTION<br /><br />-- Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:32 pm --<br /><br />the academy is not overated you cant base it on one game the young players were nervous and your forgetting ( in my opinion) players like trippier and ball werent playing.

This thread is such an OVER REACTION

bluebannana said:
the academy is not overated you cant base it on one game the young players were nervous and your forgetting ( in my opinion) players like trippier and ball werent playing.

-- Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:32 pm --

Over reaction it certainly isnt. Just putting it out there as a disucssion point. Its something we have been discussing in the boozer for a while. Have we really produced top top quality creative and exciting players as an academy . Players we can hang our hat on to deliver . I am not slating the acadmey just saying in the past have we produced a certain sort of player and now do we need to change the emphasis

Guidetti put me in mind of Ched Evans - loads of effort but no pace. Can't see him as a Premiership player.

Mind you, he was a damn sight better than Rocky!

glenowen said:
Guidetti put me in mind of Ched Evans - loads of effort but no pace. Can't see him as a Premiership player.

Mind you, he was a damn sight better than Rocky!
Totally agree with this. Guidetti saw loads of the ball but his lack of pace and lack of skill to beat his man showed to me he is not top draw. Ok give him a chance and credit him for working hard but looks Championship material. At least we knew he was on the pitch unlike Santa Cruz and to a lesser extent Jo.

The good academy players haven't had their chance yet, they will impress. Veseli, Ellabdelaoui, Benali, Razak and Abu will impress.<br /><br />-- Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:48 am --<br /><br />
Royaloak said:
Pride_In_Battle said:
Guidetti, Mee, Trippier and Nimely have extremely bright futures

....possibly in the Championship.

Only trippier is any good out of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.