our academy - overated ? discuss

From listening to the commentary Guidetti seemed to be well involved and had an assist generally playing quite well but it is too early to tell. Boyata seemed like he had an good game. Seriously, Boyata is the only one that resembles a half decent player.

These guys have to be given some playing time, we have to find a way to integrate them in the first team and develop them further at the top level.

Arsenal seem to set the benchmark with their younger players experienced far beyond their years and therefore capable of stepping into the first team.

What you cannot do is play them all altogether, however injuries have left us very short and cannot be anyones fault.

Lets learn from this.

ChippyPerthBlue said:
Arsenal seem to set the benchmark with their younger players experienced far beyond their years and therefore capable of stepping into the first team.

Arsenal have a good record with "bought" young players, but Cole was the only one to come through and play for the first team in about ten years (till the one or two recent prospects).

Our most successful Academy players came through when we had no money to buy, so Nedum, Micah, MJ, Stevie, were able to grow into the first team. That won't happen again, as there's no space for new players coming through - and even if it did the bar has been raised so high that it's unlikely we'll get many, if any future stars.

Here's the future of kids coming "through" the Academy. Count how many Academy graduates have gone on to play regularly for United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in the last ten years. A United fan gave me a list recently and you had to go back to Wes Brown for the last graduate who played regularly. Liverpool? Chelsea? Anyone?

SamTheGuru said:
From listening to the commentary Guidetti seemed to be well involved and had an assist generally playing quite well but it is too early to tell. Boyata seemed like he had an good game. Seriously, Boyata is the only one that resembles a half decent player.

I went to the game, and he was very poor. Not coming on here to slag them all off, but, being brutally honest with you. He, Vidal, Mee, Cunningham, Ibrahim, were very poor mate.

Only Boyata has any class

Our under 9s through to U14s played the rags over the weekend just gone not one team won utd won the lot apart from the U12s getting a 0-0 our academy is not producing players of the quality we require I had the unfortunate privilege of watching our U11s get beat 7-3 and were lucky to come away with that
Our academy is not all it is cracked up to be trust me

bluenova said:
ChippyPerthBlue said:

Arsenal have a good record with "bought" young players, but Cole was the only one to come through and play for the first team in about ten years (till the one or two recent prospects).

Our most successful Academy players came through when we had no money to buy, so Nedum, Micah, MJ, Stevie, were able to grow into the first team. That won't happen again, as there's no space for new players coming through - and even if it did the bar has been raised so high that it's unlikely we'll get many, if any future stars.

Here's the future of kids coming "through" the Academy. Count how many Academy graduates have gone on to play regularly for United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in the last ten years. A United fan gave me a list recently and you had to go back to Wes Brown for the last graduate who played regularly. Liverpool? Chelsea? Anyone?

Evans? Welbeck? Fletcher? Gibson? O'Shea?

big blueballs said:
Our under 9s through to U14s played the rags over the weekend just gone not one team won utd won the lot apart from the U12s getting a 0-0 our academy is not producing players of the quality we require I had the unfortunate privilege of watching our U11s get beat 7-3 and were lucky to come away with that
Our academy is not all it is cracked up to be trust me

It's not about how they do at that level, it's how they progress in the 16-19 age range that will determine their futures. At those younger ages games can turn on whether one side has a couple of lads who are physically bigger and stronger for their age.

Before being over-critical of the Academy players on show last night it;s worth recalling that most were signed pre-takeover and of course that has raised the bar significantly for the standard of youngsters we need. Better to judge the Academy in 4 or 5 years time to see if we're bringing through some potential stars.

The point here is that last night we had too many players with only a handful of games at first team level between them.

These players will be better with more experience at that level, whether they become a first team regular is another issue, but we must provide more opportunities and game time. How a club does that is the secret formula, maybe bringing these players into a succesful side, even 45mins sub appearences will provide benefit in the longer term.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.