Our collective defence 2023-24

There's been some very decent finishing against us too. The two Newcastle goals last night being a case in point. And how many times have sides scored with the only real opportunity/opportunities they get? Too many to mention. Even last night we were battering them and somehow found ourselves 2-1 down. Palace at home and letting a 2 goal lead slip still grinds my gears.

Definitely don't have the same confidence in the defence at the moment though. Seem more liable to lapses in concentration and complacency. Spent all that money on Gvardiol and stick him at LB. Don't think it improves the side at all. Looked a better player when he's played CB but I prefer Ake at LB.
I thought the second goal was very poor. Good finish but he was given was too much space.

I thought the second goal was very poor. Good finish but he was given was too much space.

Agreed, watched it again on MOTD this morning. Very poor by Dias initially giving the ball away and Walker never really got as close as he should have. Hard to legislate for the finish though. Complacency again.

If the attack continues to stutter, then the defence will inevitably be exposed and we might concede. We also need to acknowledge that the defence has been plagued with injuries. Walker is one of only three players to have played in every league game this season (Foden/Alvarez) and the only defender, and even when players are on the park (Ake/Stones/Akanji), it has often looked as if they are moving gingerly and a source of concern on the sidelines.

Think this thread needs a bump!

We're shocking defensively! They almost got 4 tap ins..

And Walker must have thought it was still christmas since he gave Sterling a gift goal!

Pellegrini last season vibes with this defence at the moment.

We are probably going to concede near on 40 or more this season in the league which is shockingly bad for the quality in this team. Should be below 30.

Dias is mostly good. Ake is player of the year. We need stones. He knits it all together. It might even be an idea to play the best young centre back in the world at centre back instead of akanji. Just an idea.

Is it just me who feels this season teams can score against us much more easily than we can score against them?

People referring to our defence in the most over the top kneejerk reaction way after our first dropped points in ages ….. “shocking” this “shockingly” that.

The stats tell us something different.

24 games in …..

22/23 …. 24 conceded
23/24 …. 26 conceded

People referring to our defence in the most over the top kneejerk reaction way after our first dropped points in ages ….. “shocking” this “shockingly” that.

The stats tell us something different.

24 games in …..

22/23 …. 24 conceded
23/24 …. 26 conceded
It was 26 in 21/22 for the whole season, it is getting worse over time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.