Our current status and our youth academy

Major said:
Im not sure about your last point, Richards, Ireland, Nedum, Johnno are all testament to Jim and others, but i will say these lads was brought in before the takeover. If the same players were 17-18 years old do you think they would be in with a chance now?
What I am saying is that we don't have to rely on them anymore as the great white hope, which was putting far too much pressure on them at an early age.
Some of the players you mentioned earlier were just not good enough. How many academy graduates play for other teams? How many premiership teams had five academy graduates in the match day squad regularly?
The fact that we play Micah, Ned, Johnno and Ireland, and Sturridge, with Weiss coming through shows that the academy still has a place to play.
Plus others who watch the Academy say they have seen Hughes there.

Amigo said:
I think that this is our squad, with no injuries:

Obviously more signings to come I hope!

Given
Richards
Onouha
Kompany
Bridge
De Jong
Barry
Ireland
Tevez
RSC
Adebayor

Then I think that Weiss could play instead of Ade or RSC, with Tevez partnering up front but bar that no academy players atm could get in. Petrov, SWP Elano all ahead in midfield and with Zabs and other signings bolstering defence nobody can get in there. And with 10 strikers!

Good point mate, i hope it doesn't come to happen...

No Robinho????????

People seem to have forgotten about this lad. I was on his back in the middle of last season, but i thought he finished the season really well and he scored a hat full of goals.

Hopefully he is fully bedded in to the prem, and he will take the league by storm, especially with the players around him.

squirtyflower said:
Major said:
Im not sure about your last point, Richards, Ireland, Nedum, Johnno are all testament to Jim and others, but i will say these lads was brought in before the takeover. If the same players were 17-18 years old do you think they would be in with a chance now?
What I am saying is that we don't have to rely on them anymore as the great white hope, which was putting far too much pressure on them at an early age.
Some of the players you mentioned earlier were just not good enough. How many academy graduates play for other teams? How many premiership teams had five academy graduates in the match day squad regularly?
The fact that we play Micah, Ned, Johnno and Ireland, and Sturridge, with Weiss coming through shows that the academy still has a place to play.
Plus others who watch the Academy say they have seen Hughes there.

Understood, I watch also and have seen Hughes there on the odd occasion and the branch meeting was a while back as i mention but when Jim said it, it kinda makes you stand up and think.

yankblue said:
Major said:
I look at lads like:
David Ball
V.Weiss
Keiran Trippier
Sam Williamson
Angelo Tsiakis
Shaleum Logan

Long gone. Plays for Wrexham.

Sam's name was brought up purely because of his 1 off performance for us, in which most people were impressed and he was never tried again im not saying Sam is capable of ever holding down a spot while there just opinions.

Clubber said:
Amigo said:
I think that this is our squad, with no injuries:

Obviously more signings to come I hope!

Given
Richards
Onouha
Kompany
Bridge
De Jong
Barry
Ireland
Tevez
RSC
Adebayor

Then I think that Weiss could play instead of Ade or RSC, with Tevez partnering up front but bar that no academy players atm could get in. Petrov, SWP Elano all ahead in midfield and with Zabs and other signings bolstering defence nobody can get in there. And with 10 strikers!

Good point mate, i hope it doesn't come to happen...

No Robinho????????

People seem to have forgotten about this lad. I was on his back in the middle of last season, but i thought he finished the season really well and he scored a hat full of goals.

Hopefully he is fully bedded in to the prem, and he will take the league by storm, especially with the players around him.

Agreed, Robbie and Shay for me are the first names on the team sheet. With last season under his belt and better players around him Robinho has to play week in week out - Also once Elano goes Robbie will be better off just my opinion.

Then starlets from the under 18's such as:
Marcelo Trotta
Jack Redshaw
Igor Paldon

Just a small point here, Marcelo Trotta has never and will never appear for the U18' as he only ever appeared for the U16 side before going to Fulham

Igor Paldan only made a handfull of appearances for the U18's and was released at the end of last season

what has basically happened with the takeover and the money is, the bar has been raised even higher when it comes to players progressing through the accademy, they will have to be world class players to make it at city now.

in my opinion citys accademy has punched well above its wieght for a long time now due to the limited funds it has had to work with and it just goes to show what a great job jim cassell has done over the years, i would have thought there will be big investment in the accademy to allow city to compete for the best young talent out there.

here is an example of how manure gobble up a lot of the local talent bearing in mind that clubs sign youngsters from U9 onwards,

utd have 26 what are termed satalite schools (basically this is where lads go from the age of 6 for special training for 4-6weeks to asses there ability, these schools are invite only after being scouted playing junior football) these schools have between 12-16 lads at each and are spread throughout the northwest and as far as stoke, sheffield and preston

i think city have around 5 i also think these are around manchester only so straight away there opurtunities are limited

if you consider manure have 26 and there are 2 scouts at each centre this gives them a minimum 52 scouts scattered around the northwest,yorkshire, stoke and lancashire.

how can city compete for these lads when the network is not in place, city do not have a great record with players coming through from 10 the majority of players who make the 1st team have actually been brought to the club at 14 from other clubs when the rules for accademmy players change
this for me is where city need to invest to ensure they have the best opportunities when it comes to picking up young talent

Ive said this before and i'll say it again:
if they are good enough they will make it through to the first team!

We may seem like we're buying and buying and buying at the moment and we will continue to until we are good enough to be challenging at the top on a regular basis! But it wont always be like this, after we are settled as a top club we may only buy anything between 0-2 players per season as we wont need to pile the money up and throw it out on player after player! when this time comes the youth team players will have more of a chance of coming through as we wont be looking at every club around the world for much needed quality for positions of need as we will already have them!

Chelsea have only produced Terry from their youth team for as far back as ive been a footy fan so it hasnt been in their culture to nurture talent through, even before the money! and now the money is there they buy in £millions of pound players and dont bother putting the effort in to producing home-grown quality! City are totally different to that and i believe from what i have read that it is in the Sheikh's list of priorities to continue to bring through home-grown talent from our Academy into our first team as it has always been part of the City culture to do so and he wants to keep City as much in line with its own culture as possible! i can see City's Academy seeing as much of an improvement as the first team with more and the best of the worlds footy coaches, skills coaches, fitness trainers, nutritionists, psychologists, educational teachers etc etc and there will be the optimum chance of making it in City's team as there is anywhere else!

Look at all the worlds top top clubs AC Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, United (not so much Bayern Munich or Liverpool as they dont seem to produce a lot of their own talent!) and Arsenal (even in their perfect year in 2003/04 when they did not lose one game how many players came through into the Carling Cup Arsenal team and made it to play on for them?)! Talent is produced at all of these clubs, and in fact at Barcelona is the absoulte core of the team and always has been to have Catalans playing and being the best in their top teams (Valdes, Pique, Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi, Bojan, Jorquera, Busqets and Sanchez - all in Barcelonas first team squad are from Catalonia!)
I can see City priding theirselves on the same thing in years to come! that should be our aim! A proper local club for proper local fans!

Cooke, Hughie and Mansour have stated the importance of the acadamy. Rather than stagnate they are investing heavily both in the UK and abroad. If these lads are brought through our acadamy, they taught properly and given an exellent education. If at the end of the day they dont make our first team they will still have a good career at another club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.