Our New found wealth is not helping us.

LEE BRADBURY

I think our new found wealth has had a real negative effect on the club, for starters it has left half the squad knowing they are surplus to requirements, knowing they will be replaced sooner rather than later.

If that on its own is not negative enough the media have been reporting the names to be replaced in the press week in and week out, no coincidence then that the players mentioned performances have got progressively worse to such an extent that replacing them is now a matter of urgency.

Now January has arrived a month we have all been looking forward to, and even this has also turned in to a complete nightmare thanks again to our new found wealth which has become our Achilles heel.

We are being asked to pay in excess of £20 000 000 for a player like RSC, £10 000 000 each for players like Scott Parker and Craig Bellamy,then there’s the wage demands all speculation I know but figures mentioned like £100 000 a week, seriously it is taking the piss,.

Just wondered if anyone has any answers on how to deal with it ?

I think we might as well just break the bank for world class players than become a meal ticket for journey men, unless of course you think these players are worth the figures being mentioned ?

Early days yet but I think January could end up being a complete let down.

The biggest problem with the new found wealth is the rocketing 'expectations' (which, judging by the 'Hughes out' mob should more accurately be called 'demands to be met immediately or else') that we are now under.
The same thing happened to Chelsea when Abramovich took over.. do any of us really think that SWP was ever worth £21m?
Did Cook ever really think we wouldn't be forced into overpaying for players? There's nothing we can do, the other clubs don't have to sell, and our league position means that they can hike the prices up further cause of how desperate we are.
As for 'breaking the bank for world class players'... who can you realistically see wanting to come to play for us who is 'world class'?
Personally I think the squad we have at the moment is good enough to comfortably finish in the top half, and we will improve greatly in 2009. I'd rather see the current squad pick up some form than add people like Bellamy to it.

Kinky Dribbler said:
The biggest problem with the new found wealth is the rocketing 'expectations' (which, judging by the 'Hughes out' mob should more accurately be called 'demands to be met immediately or else') that we are now under.
The same thing happened to Chelsea when Abramovich took over.. do any of us really think that SWP was ever worth £21m?
Did Cook ever really think we wouldn't be forced into overpaying for players? There's nothing we can do, the other clubs don't have to sell, and our league position means that they can hike the prices up further cause of how desperate we are.
As for 'breaking the bank for world class players'... who can you realistically see wanting to come to play for us who is 'world class'?
Personally I think the squad we have at the moment is good enough to comfortably finish in the top half, and we will improve greatly in 2009. I'd rather see the current squad pick up some form than add people like Bellamy to it.
good reply i agree,must admit i think signing bellamy would be a step backwards.

Hold on a minute ,how can you say the new found wealth is`nt helping us ! ADUG came in at the last hour or so and pulled of a great scoop with robhino ,then the transrer window closed till now so obviously we could`nt buy anyone, january is a hard window to buy,does`nt matter how much money you have,alot of people on here think we can buy anyone anytime cos we`re minted(maybe not your self).
This club will come good but not over night.

CTID.

Kinky Dribbler said:

What did Hughes say about not being ripped off? Why are you blaming Cook?

Bold = making the case to get rid of Hughes. Italics = hopelessly crossing fingers.

LEE BRADBURY said:
I think our new found wealth has had a real negative effect on the club, for starters it has left half the squad knowing they are surplus to requirements, knowing they will be replaced sooner rather than later.

If that on its own is not negative enough the media have been reporting the names to be replaced in the press week in and week out, no coincidence then that the players mentioned performances have got progressively worse to such an extent that replacing them is now a matter of urgency.

Now January has arrived a month we have all been looking forward to, and even this has also turned in to a complete nightmare thanks again to our new found wealth which has become our Achilles heel.

We are being asked to pay in excess of £20 000 000 for a player like RSC, £10 000 000 each for players like Scott Parker and Craig Bellamy,then there’s the wage demands all speculation I know but figures mentioned like £100 000 a week, seriously it is taking the piss,.

I think we might as well just break the bank for world class players than become a meal ticket for journey men, unless of course you think these players are worth the figures being mentioned ?

Good post. To be honest, I think we're caught between a rock and a hard post at the moment - players like RSC, Parker, and Bellamy may not be the kind of names our fans want to be linked with but we won't become a team of world-beaters overnight and those players ought to improve the squad a fair bit and hence push us several places up the table. The fees being quoted are of course ridiculous - a combination of the inflated January window prices and us being awash with cash. Where we draw the line, stick two fingers up at the likes of Blackburn and West Ham, and look elsewhere I don't know. My thinking is that RSC now has his heart set on joining us - if that's the case, then it's all well and good for Blackburn to play hardball but they might not be quite so bullish if it gets towards February 2nd and they've still got a very unhappy RSC on their hands and not been able to strengthen other areas of their squad as a result.

So yes, at the moment our new found wealth isn't helping us in some respects but I guess we're in an infinitely better position than just prior to the takeover. If we were still under Dr.T's ownership we could be in administration by now....or even worse, not have a club to support at all!

Kinky Dribbler said:

As long as we trying to get world class players in then i have no complaints if they turn us down. But we need to at least be trying, and yes, we will have to pay well over the odds to get them, but if they are quality then in our position, we can afford it.

I agree with OP. I think the money was always going to be a problem initially, especially as there is no precedence set for the amounts involved. And we are currently a laughing stock but things will change, just not quick enough for a lot of us. (inc me!!!)

M18CTID said:
LEE BRADBURY said:

Good post. To be honest, I think we're caught between a rock and a hard post at the moment - players like RSC, Parker, and Bellamy may not be the kind of names our fans want to be linked with but we won't become a team of world-beaters overnight and those players ought to improve the squad a fair bit and hence push us several places up the table. The fees being quoted are of course ridiculous - a combination of the inflated January window prices and us being awash with cash. Where we draw the line, stick two fingers up at the likes of Blackburn and West Ham, and look elsewhere I don't know. My thinking is that RSC now has his heart set on joining us - if that's the case, then it's all well and good for Blackburn to play hardball but they might not be quite so bullish if it gets towards February 2nd and they've still got a very unhappy RSC on their hands and not been able to strengthen other areas of their squad as a result.

So yes, at the moment our new found wealth isn't helping us in some respects but I guess we're in an infinitely better position than just prior to the takeover. If we were still under Dr.T's ownership we could be in administration by now....or even worse, not have a club to support at all!
I never thought of that as regards RSC,you have a good point as February gets nearer they might be a bit worried about being lumbered with RSC,I don’t like the thought of “fat Sam the pie munching man” screwing us over.

LEE BRADBURY said:
Kinky Dribbler said:
good reply i agree,must admit i think signing bellamy would be a step backwards.

WTF?

Q - Is Bellamy an improvement on our current strikers?
A - Yes

End of debate.

LEE BRADBURY said:
M18CTID said:

I never thought of that as regards RSC,you have a good point as February gets nearer they might be a bit worried about being lumbered with RSC,I don’t like the thought of “fat Sam the pie munching man” screwing us over.

Me neither - I can't stand the fat bung-taking* bastard!

* - Allegedly!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.