Out of closet time......am now vegetarian

Phil Meup said:
SkyBlueFlux said:
SWP's back said:
I'd never go veggie. Who am I to argue with 2 million years of evolution?

That's the way I see it too.

There's plenty of ethical arguments about being vegetarian that I empathise with. The treatment of a lot of the animals is awful and I try to buy free range stuff where I can, but as for not eating meat altogether, I just don't see that as a morale obligation. Human nutrition is based around eating meat and it's the very reason we have evolved into a successful species. We don't live the lives we used to as hunter gatherers, this is true, but meat contains a lot of beneficial proteins which are still as vital to our diet today as they were back then.
Are you sure you two have evovled?!!!
You can get all the protein you need from other sources - beans, lentils, semen and tofu etc.

This explains your username at least.

andyhinch said:
bobmcfc said:
Paulpowersleftfoot said:
I've been a veggie for about 20 years ,my wife is veggie as well but we still cook meat for the kids. Don't agree with foisting our beliefs on them,they can choose what's right or wrong for them in their own good time

Very sensible.
Your lovely, I kill animals and eat meat does this make me a bad person, I love meat and don't really like veg.
No other stuff makes you a bad person.

Caveman said:
I will never understand how people don't eat meat. We are humans, it's part of what makes us human.

Part of what makes us human is eating meat? Thought it was reasoning and opposable thumbs, both of which would lead away from meat.

And Im not sure we've evolved into the super meat eating machines some of you have said. Last I checked most meat eating animals don't need to prepare theirs . I don't remember the last time I confused a human mouth with a lion's, or even a housecat or any real carnivore that has evolved through time to eat meat .

I mean I get it.. I don't think I'd ever stop drinking or doing recreational drugs or any unhealthy thing I like doing for that matter despite what facts are presented against it , but any argument for meat outside of "I like it" and "I don't care" is probably wrong.

I must admit, the older I get, I'm leaning more and more towards vegetables. This is from a man who used to eat nothing but meat. I might just be readying myself for when I get false teeth.

RandomJ said:
I really don't get veggies that still eat fish and dairy products. Oh the poor Chickens but never mind the fish or the cows who are crammed in a small area and have the milk pumped out of them. Double standards much?

I dont think Im practising double standards, if you read my OP more carefully I said that this is more for selfish personal reasons than concern over animals and the way they are killed, yes I hated the chicken factory I went into but that alone wouldnt stop me eating meat.

Someone has stated thats its normal to eat meat and humans have done it since dust was invented but the thing is that your average baby dinosaur wasnt injected with antibiotics, growth hormones and other things, read this;

According to the European Union’s Scientific Committee on Veterinary Measures Relating to Public Health (SCVPH), the use of six natural and artificial growth hormones in beef production pose a potential risk to human health. FThese six hormones include three that are naturally occurring – Oestradiol, Progesterone and Testosterone – and three that are synthetic – Zeranol, Trenbolone, and Melengestrol. When hormones are injected into cattle, some naturally occurring hormone levels increase 7 to 20 times. F The committee found that “no acceptable daily intake could be established for any of these hormones

Also theres growing evidence that (besides raising your cholesterol) a diet high in red meat can be detrimental to the bowel and possibly lead to things like bowel cancer in later life, red meat is high in saturated fats that stay in your bloodstream for hours after youve eaten it, man made meat products using inferior parts of animals like suasages & burgers are much worse.....whereas a diet rich in veggies, beans, pulses etc keeps the bowel healthy due to the high fibre content, these foods also have been shown to lower cholesterol and provide many vitamins & minerals

nimrod said:
Please dont label me as some kind of greeny tree hugger type, truth is its mainly selfish reasons but me and my lovely wife decided to do this 3 months ago, this is the first time any of us has told anybody so its not some thing we broadcast, in fact we still eat fish eggs & cheese so I believe the correct term is Pescatarian ?

yeah you're not a vegetarian, but well done for giving up so far :)

i've been a veggie for 23 years!
almost vegan really as i don't wear animal skin or have any animal fats or bi-product, it's only my love of chocolate that means i do still have a trace amount of milk in that!

i've not actually read past your first post if i'[m honest, cos i know veggie threads often turn nasty and i've had enough fights. I believe in what i believe in - but have found people generally like to have a go at me for it, and i don't talk down to others BUT often find meat eaters love to start online fights with veggies, so i keep clear nowadays! But just wanted to say well done and keep at it.

kippaxkid74 said:
nimrod said:
Please dont label me as some kind of greeny tree hugger type, truth is its mainly selfish reasons but me and my lovely wife decided to do this 3 months ago, this is the first time any of us has told anybody so its not some thing we broadcast, in fact we still eat fish eggs & cheese so I believe the correct term is Pescatarian ?

yeah you're not a vegetarian, but well done for giving up so far :)

i've been a veggie for 23 years!
almost vegan really as i don't wear animal skin or have any animal fats or bi-product, it's only my love of chocolate that means i do still have a trace amount of milk in that!

i've not actually read past your first post if i'[m honest, cos i know veggie threads often turn nasty and i've had enough fights. I believe in what i believe in - but have found people generally like to have a go at me for it, and i don't talk down to others BUT often find meat eaters love to start online fights with veggies, so i keep clear nowadays! But just wanted to say well done and keep at it.

did you spill my sausage roll puffter ?

I shot 12 wood pigeons three days ago and ate them in a pie.

It was lovely.

As sweep say's evolution wins whatever our delicate advanced mentalities.

You can indeed eat just veg but you will NOT get sufficient amounts of certain nutrients.

The reason we evolved to the standard of evolution we are at is heavily down to diet.

Meat packs a huge protien punch in one shot.
This allows us time to do things such as contemplate the universe etc.

I won't ever tell a vegie they are wrong etc, who am i to do so ?

I do ask they gtfo staring at me when i have half a pan fried cows arse hanging out of my mouth.
Who is some self rightcious vegie to tell me how to eat ?

Impose on me and make no misake i will impose on you to any level you want to go.

@nimrod

A male aussie veggie ?
The world has indeed gone mad :-D

TCIB said:
@nimrod

A male aussie veggie ?
The world has indeed gone mad :-D

ohh dont worry mate, theres plenty of tree huggers here, hippies everywhere, (Im not one of them though) although we have plenty of true blue ockers who live on steak n beer, dont believe the hype, we actually do have poets, artists, musicians, male ballet dancers, gay men etc etc (mostly in Sydney) :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.