Oven problems......

iancity

Hi, after some advice...

Bought an oven as part of a kitchen Oct 07 from Homebase, Oven was a Candy.
Anyway, about April 08 the heating element on the bottom oven went, tripping the electric in the house (as a light bulb would do). Candy came and repaired it, 2 months later same thing happened, Candy came and repaired that, 3 months later same thing again...eventually managed to get a new Oven from Candy through Homebase in Nov 08

However, last night the new oven's heating element went again.
Went to Homebase who have basically said not their problem but Candy's - I dont really want to go to Candy just to go through the same cycle of repair --- fault --- repair --- fault etc etc as each repair takes about 3 weeks from reporting it to being fixed and I am left without an oven for 3 weeks at a time

So, what can I do - are Homebase not responsible, do Candy have to look at providing me with a different model, am I being silly, its just gone off once on the new oven ?????

Any advice much appreciated - who do I go to next or do I just give up (oven was £552) and get another one

Thanks

Ian

Demand a replacement mate, I work in this game the louder you shout the more you get

Whenever you complain you should always state your resolution too - too many people forget this last part, and often this can impair whatever result they seek.

I would imagine you have a fair case Ian, especially if you can document all the events you mention. It is always better to keep notes and details of everything that happens.

You don't say whether you paid in cash or by credit card - if it were the latter you would have additional comebacks through the credit card company. Anyone buying flight tickets these days should put them on their credit cards, and avoid paying with cash or debit cards (treated the same as cash) in case the travel company goes bust; with a credit card payment you are protected and get all your money back.

I'd suggest being firm with the retailer and also the manufacturer, and state exactly what you want (by way of resolution) - even if this is a complete refund of your money. You should not have to go without an oven for so long either, but I know how long some things tend to take in the UK.

In the USA I don't think either the retailer or manufacturer would put up much of a fight, and would probably want to get you sorted out quickly and quietly.

Have you spoken to your local newspaper about this yet or made a report to any consumer authorities/watchdogs? You may suggest in a firmly worded complaint to the appropriate parties that you'd much rather have your resolution promptly handled than go to the trouble of dealing with any of the former, as I'm sure your Homebase and Candy would rather avoid the negative publicity. Even someone like the Sun (one of our favourite newspapers I know) might make a bit piece of your hassle and if they have a local photographer or you want to send them a picture yourself and your appliance you may be surprised at the coverage you might get.

Personally speaking, I'd probably be thinking my goose was cooked with this oven, and would be seeking a way to get my money back or get an alternate (better) oven from Candy to replace it.

Hope you get things resolved for yourself very soon. Push hard, and be firm; I would expect you to get whatever resolution you decide you want.

check its installed correct[read manufacturers instructions]-If it is, fight your corner for a new one.Most companies would IMO use a standard eliment,so somthing else must be causing it to go.A faulty stat/stats ,slow fan,poor design reg its internal circulation.Infact could it set on fire?I don;t know! but I would be asking them that.

Under the sale of goods act the retailer is responsible or resolving your issue - don't be put off by them - stand your ground.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.