Overrated/underrated musicians and bands

Underrated if you like them but not popular....overrated if you don't like them but they are popular ;)
So I guess I'd call every 'boyband' , Beatles, Michael Jackson, massively overrated.

...and most underrated ever would be Bad//Dreems....Aussie indie rock band, fucking awesome ;)
Check them out on YouTube if you like that sort of music, 3 cracking albums!

Dr Hook always looked like they were enjoying themselves

Overrated
Leo Sayer
Always seemed to be singing someone else's songs. A couple of Roger Daltreys spring to mind.

Underrated
Albert Hammond.
Sprung to mind when I was thinking of Leo Sayer as he wrote "When I Need You".
Also wrote
Aswad Don't turn around
Hollies Air that I breathe
Julio and Willie To all the girls I loved before.
Starship Nothings Gonna stop us now
Whitney opening song for the Olympics

I also remember a court case where he got some sort of financial rights to Radioheads Creep.

Wasn't it more the case that Roger was singing Leo's songs e.g. Giving It All Away !?

Everybody's music taste is different, and so inevitably there will always be bands, musicians and albums that seem, to the beholder, vastly misjudged.

I'm going to start;

Over-rated:

The Beatles - the most overrated band in musical history. Loads of decent songs, couple of outstanding, tonnes of dross. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is a good album at best. (note - i think the Beatles are good, but so far below the pinnacle on which they are held).

Van Morrison - forever dining out on 3/4 of one album. Total weapon to boot.
Eric Clapton - boring.
Radiohead - i like them but flippin' heck, not that much. God status undeserved.
The Eagles - going to go as far as to say shit.
AC/DC - why

Under-rated:

The Kinks - ok, some tosh, but brilliant and shadowed by the beatles
Talk Talk - amazing stuff
John Martyn - misanthropic warbler with amazing musical talent.

(nod to @BlueHammer85 thread where there was a brief discussion about Radiohead)
John Martin, incredibly talented guy, and what a sad story

No my lads love a bloke called Guthrie Govan. Go and enjoy on you tube he is absolutely amazing.
He was in Asia I think ? Stopped following them after the first album. Despite an impressive line up I couldn’t get to grips with the music.
Talking of Underrated talented British guitarists I like John Mitchell and Chris Fry. The latter is very much influenced by Steve Howe.

He was in Asia I think ? Stopped following them after the first album. Despite an impressive line up I couldn’t get to grips with the music.
Talking of Underrated talented British guitarists I like John Mitchell and Chris Fry. The latter is very much influenced by Steve Howe.
Underrated guitarist, there are loads of them. Have you heard of a jazz guitar player from Salford called Mike Walker, he taught my son briefly. He has to be one of the best of all time. Another one is a lad called Andy Makee, great sounds from his acoustic guitar check him out on you tube. George Benson, more known for his voice, is a brilliant jazz guitarist. Also check out Tommy Emanuel, amazing player.

Last edited:
Other music threads put both these in mind.
Lloyd Cole
Neil Hannon - The Divine Comedy

Both underrated.
Mate The Divine Comedy are brilliant, Becoming more like Alfie was the song which first brought them to my attention.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.