Overseas Marketing

mekonmcfc

I guess the club have been working hard over the summer with this, looking at the amount of new faces to the ground from all parts of the world. If it helps fill the ground and increase our revenue then long may it continue.

Although i dont want to turn into something we have slated the rags for years about, nice to keep the local community spirit alive.

Well done again City

I guess the club have been working hard over the summer with this, looking at the amount of new faces to the ground from all parts of the world. If it helps fill the ground and increase our revenue then long may it continue.

Although i dont want to turn into something we have slated the rags for years about, nice to keep the local community spirit alive.

Well done again City

Increased numbers will also help facilitate the go ahead for the North Stand extension...and with both ends completed the Etihad would look fantastic.

@mekonmcfc in fairness there has been a gradual increase in tourist fans i'd say within the last half-decade, just so now with the online inhouse ticket exchange/added seats it's making it easier to obtain tickets, rather than people having to do it on vianogo.

I've often used public transport to games, that's why I started going to Maine Road as it was easier as a young kid (no dad taking me) to jump the tram and get into town.
Over the years the trams on matchdays has increased in numbers, the change in the City Centre is even more noticeable as Manchester has become a more ethnically/culturally diverse society.
Everywhere I walk I'm hearing different languages being spoken, all groups of people living/working in Manchester.

Within the past 4/5 seasons I've noticed a big increase in the amount of people asking me for directions to the stadium (as I'm probably wearing a City shirt) confused as to which tram to get on and so on.

I've spoken to people who've literally come off a plane within hours of arrival into Manchester,and heading straight for the Etihad all via the Metrolink.

Credit to Metrolink as well this season, it ran smoothly for me and they were announcing the matchday lineups over the tannoy at platforms, also displaying the lineups underneath the tram arrival LED screens.

We're the real club in Manchester, the rags don't get that shit when they play at Trafford.
We should ban them lot from using the coat of arms on their suits with the amount of money we've contributed to East Manchester.

Yes we have in the past mocked United for being the tourist/gloryseeker club.

I have been one of them doing it.

But change is good, with success comes the bandwaggon jumpers and as long as the prices are fair and the stadium is big enough, locals like myself who have always come to games will be still in the stadium.
It's upto us to educate the newer fans about the club and it's history - if they don't know the words to the songs - educate them.

I remember teaching the words of Blue Moon to locals on a small island in Thailand years ago at a full moon party.
Had hundreds of em all singing it and reading about City :D

We benefit from the PL and some big name stars now.
Anybody in Manchester on business, or holiday who wants to experience a football match will now see City as a desirable option.
Once upon a time, it would have been United or Liverpool, but now City is certainly as appealing as either of those.

The down side (for want of a better phrase), is that we end up with more tourists. But it's an inevitable consequence of increased success and exposure. Might as well embrace as best we can.

Someone is far from bored yet I noticed... On an official pic today from his office there is a small memento on the wall :D

CMrnazZUEAAfIkf.jpg

Thanks for the well reasoned comments - Why Always Ste. Agree 100% with your thinking. I am sure there will be fans who would not agree with you but clubs have a choice, stay with the traditional fan base and stagnate or even regress as other clubs expand theirs. Or encourage a global interest in City and welcome those lucky enough to be able to take in a game at the Etihad. Don't know how many will remember it but many years ago (late 80s & 90s)Peter Swales tried a King Canute impression by suggesting that City were going to make a stand against excessive spending on players and that at the Leagues Chairman's meeting he was going to encourage others to do the same. Of course the truth was we were skint and he wanted some way of preventing other clubs going past us. History shows us how successful he was with his attempt. The modern Premier League is even less forgiving of those who stand still. The best example of the financial rewards of global exposure is the rags shirt deal. Chevrolet must have low single digit market share in the UK and will probably never be a major car supplier here but overseas they are huge in the developing football countries and want their brand all over the local TVs. City has always been a friendly club lets keep it that way.

I too noticed the amount of " johnny foreigners" - (meant in a nice way) -outside the ground on Sunday. I got there early , 1-45pm ,and had a walk round.
Black Coach (what happened to Fingland's) arrived with the players - thousands outside Main Entrance - and the weather was good.

Thanks for the well reasoned comments - Why Always Ste. Agree 100% with your thinking. I am sure there will be fans who would not agree with you but clubs have a choice, stay with the traditional fan base and stagnate or even regress as other clubs expand theirs. Or encourage a global interest in City and welcome those lucky enough to be able to take in a game at the Etihad. Don't know how many will remember it but many years ago (late 80s & 90s)Peter Swales tried a King Canute impression by suggesting that City were going to make a stand against excessive spending on players and that at the Leagues Chairman's meeting he was going to encourage others to do the same. Of course the truth was we were skint and he wanted some way of preventing other clubs going past us. History shows us how successful he was with his attempt. The modern Premier League is even less forgiving of those who stand still. The best example of the financial rewards of global exposure is the rags shirt deal. Chevrolet must have low single digit market share in the UK and will probably never be a major car supplier here but overseas they are huge in the developing football countries and want their brand all over the local TVs. City has always been a friendly club lets keep it that way.

if tickets were cheap i.e. match day tickets and season tickets, most of the ground wouldn't have tourists in it. we need to keep our traditional match going fan base as they make city what it it is. there are more than enough city fans in manchester to fill a 60,000 ground we just have to get pricing right. a ground full of tourists, with barely any local people or a ground full of local people with some tourists, id know which one id rather have. there a thousands of city fans who have stopped going because of pricing swell. the new south stand shows demand is there from fans.

tbh i think every club is getting more tourists now. i think we are one of the only top clubs who have kept there fan base.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.