P & O

again people were persuaded by a R/W press that organised labour was bad for them and their country - mad. More days have been lost this year to a Brexit induced labour shortage than were ever lost in any year due to strikes. Meantime they moan about the erosion of the benefits unions had fought for previously at where they work but won't join their union because "its a waste of time" and " I get the same benefits without joining " - yeah you may get the same pay rise but good luck in representation over things like disciplinaries and yes sackings..........

Spot on mate but people on the whole are selfish and I'm sorry to say it, thick. When Thatcher was in power and there was no minimum wage and millions unemployed and she was had devestated the north, because people there didn't vote for her, people still sat on their arses. I'd come home on leave and say, "Are you voting tomorrow? Get these fuckers out." They'd reply, "What's the point?" I'd answer, "How long is it since you had a job?? Surely anybody has to be better than this lot?" Total apathy.

On the ferries years later I'd keep on getting the same answer from the anti union morons. "The union is useless, what have they done for us?" I had to take a deep breath and list everything they had onboard had been fought for long and hard over years. Time off, meal breaks, working hours, food, messroom facilities, leave, the list was endless. It infuriated me when one of these cunts was in trouble with the management and they'd ask the union reps onboard for advice. I told the reps to fuck them off as they didn't pay for the representation and thought the union was a waste of time. Same with pay rises. I would have only given them to union members, the non union members could negotiate their own deal. Good luck with that.

If ever a company deserved to sink into the abyss then this is it.

They need to be made pariahs worldwide. I guarantee if they sold those ferries with all the old crew back onboard, barring another pandemic or WW3 they'd be making plenty of profit. I also believe that due to Brexit duty free can be sold again onboard. Massive profits will be made if that's the case. I used to do the banking onboard and as an example on a busy day onboard takings would be around £250,000 for a 14 hour period. That's not including nights. Post duty free the same takings were around £40-60,000.

Last edited:
If P and O can't play the game with an a semblance of moral decency then do not play the game at all. Not a regular user but have used them in the past and will never use them again. “You made your bed now lie in it”

If P and O can't play the game with an a semblance of moral decency then do not play the game at all. Not a regular user but have used them in the past and will never use them again. “You made your bed now lie in it”

Trust me I was a seafarer for 42 years and even setting aside the moral reasons I wouldn't use them for safety reasons. As an ex seafarer I'd probably have more chance of surviving as I did countless drills and training on those ships than I had hot dinners, but I bet if I was onboard in an emergency I'd have to take charge even after having left six years ago.

Trust me I was a seafarer for 42 years and even setting aside the moral reasons I wouldn't use them for safety reasons. As an ex seafarer I'd probably have more chance of surviving as I did countless drills and training on those ships than I had hot dinners, but I bet if I was onboard in an emergency I'd have to take charge even after having left six years ago.
A conservative at heart but utterly despise people or entities that think they can play games with other peoples livelihoods, seafaring or otherwise. I have spent time at sea but not the reason for my edginess.

I hope they swiftly become an international pariah on the world stage.

Last edited:
A conservative at heart but utterly despise people or entities that think they can play games with other peoples livelihoods, seafaring or otherwise. I have spent time at sea but not the reason for my edginess.

I hope they swiftly become an international pariah on the world stage as the times they are a changing.

This flag of convenience crap has been going on for decades. It's why many seafarer's ended up in the ferry sector as those were the only jobs available in the end . Now even those look to have gone. People in this country need the be very very careful. I'm not sure they realise the threat. This is a watershed moment. These companies and governments think three stages ahead. Unless proper action is taken to stop this I guarantee jobs ashore will be lost. You basically have a CEO having the brass neck to sit before a committee and brazenly admit they broke the law. He then said he'd do it again. Let that sink in. ( No pun intended) it's unprecedented behaviour. You couldn't sink much lower unless they had thrown all the old crew overboard and killed them. Big business will be watching the outcome and holding its breath.

Spot on mate but people on the whole are selfish and I'm sorry to say it, thick. When Thatcher was in power and there was no minimum wage and millions unemployed and she was had devestated the north, because people there didn't vote for her, people still sat on their arses. I'd come home on leave and say, "Are you voting tomorrow? Get these fuckers out." They'd reply, "What's the point?" I'd answer, "How long is it since you had a job?? Surely anybody has to be better than this lot?" Total apathy.

On the ferries years later I'd keep on getting the same answer from the anti union morons. "The union is useless, what have they done for us?" I had to take a deep breath and list everything they had onboard had been fought for long and hard over years. Time off, meal breaks, working hours, food, messroom facilities, leave, the list was endless. It infuriated me when one of these cunts was in trouble with the management and they'd ask the union reps onboard for advice. I told the reps to fuck them off as they didn't pay for the representation and thought the union was a waste of time. Same with pay rises. I would have only given them to union members, the non union members could negotiate their own deal. Good luck with that.

I had similar experiences as a workplace rep - I spoke to people who said "why did you agree to that pay rise when it should have been this ?" So the answer was "well I did what I could but if you want to contribute why not put yourself up for election as a rep get yourself on the collective bargaining team and do what you can?" then they slither away in fear. I did suggest that we negotiate for the 6000 members we had at the time and they could approach management on their own - again oddly no confidence they could do better. Because they knew they couldn't.
Anything sailing under the brand Pacific and Orient should feel the wrath of the people - as should have anything or any one dealing with British Gas and so on - people don't realise that here and now with this bunch of cunts in charge who believe the British worker is lazy an non productive because they are more interested in football and music - Jesus wept if anyone can vote for this lot they need an intervention to prevent further self harm

I had similar experiences as a workplace rep - I spoke to people who said "why did you agree to that pay rise when it should have been this ?" So the answer was "well I did what I could but if you want to contribute why not put yourself up for election as a rep get yourself on the collective bargaining team and do what you can?" then they slither away in fear. I did suggest that we negotiate for the 6000 members we had at the time and they could approach management on their own - again oddly no confidence they could do better. Because they knew they couldn't.
Anything sailing under the brand Pacific and Orient should feel the wrath of the people - as should have anything or any one dealing with British Gas and so on - people don't realise that here and now with this bunch of cunts in charge who believe the British worker is lazy an non productive because they are more interested in football and music - Jesus wept if anyone can vote for this lot they need an intervention to prevent further self harm

Spot on. It's fucking incredulous that people believe such claptrap. Having worked with British and foreign workers there are lazy fuckers amongst both. On ships the lazy ones get sorted quickly as we worked to such fine margins on crewing levels that if someone wasn't pulling their weight everyone suffered.

I watched those documentaries on the fishing industry, maybe still available on the I player? They employed mainly Latvian women in their factory doing the shit jobs like gutting the fish. They paid the minimum wage and said locals wouldn't do the work. No shit Sherlock, get £8.78 an hour in a cold, dark factory gutting fish for 8 hours a day, or work on the perfume counter at boots for the same reward. No contest. They implied by their statement the British workers were lazy when they weren't. Dig deeper and you find out why the Latvian women were happy to do the job. Firstly I think the company sorted accomodation for them. Then the minimum wage was FIVE times the minimum wage in Latvia. Let that sink in. The equivalent of a British worker being paid almost £45 an hour. That's like £7,000 a month. A couple of years doing that and they could probably go back to Latvia, buy a mansion and retire.

Of course the right wing press bang the drum the British workers are feckless and lazy. Why? So their rich chums can fuck them off and employ those hard working foreigners. Huge profits for them as a result and they cite being competitive if questioned, as Hepplewhite did. Well I'm sorry but if you live in the UK earning between £1.50-£5 and hour isn't going far. It might however buy you a comfortable life in the Philippines or Latvia.

I saw this and it made me laugh, although it has an element of truth about it. How low does pay have to go to remain "Competitive?"

img_1_1648461842816.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.