P & O

I always thought it was against employment law to make someone redundant and then replace them with someone in the same role.
Hilts. What they have done is illegal and when the cases come to tribunal they will have to pay compensation. The compensation will include notice pay, stat redundancy pay and a figure for failing to consult properly.
In the meantime the company take in cheaper labour (pay and conditions) and probably bank the likely compensation bill in a matter of months.
Given the pandemic, rise in living costs etc this is a complete cunts trick.

Can’t help wonder if little or nothing happens about this, others will do the same shithouse trick these have done.

Hilts. What they have done is illegal and when the cases come to tribunal they will have to pay compensation. The compensation will include notice pay, stat redundancy pay and a figure for failing to consult properly.
In the meantime the company take in cheaper labour (pay and conditions) and probably bank the likely compensation bill in a matter of months.
Given the pandemic, rise in living costs etc this is a complete cunts trick.

What we need is a govt that can give companies huge fines on top of the above to either prevent this from happening or dish the fine out to the staff.

This falls on govts because you can’t expect companies not to be cunts, they will always be all about the bottom line.

I believe they have been offered enhanced redundancy if they sign by the 31st March. Twats.

Just watched another faux anger performance at the Despatch Box by a Govt Minister - angry at a firm that is simply implementing employment tricks that the Govt support and refused to block.

And if you wonder why they get away with it then read this and see how intertwined DP World are with the Tory election promises

What we need is a govt that can give companies huge fines on top of the above to either prevent this from happening or dish the fine out to the staff.

This falls on govts because you can’t expect companies not to be cunts, they will always be all about the bottom line.

I believe they have been offered enhanced redundancy if they sign by the 31st March. Twats.
How can they sign as they no longer work for the company?
I was told at a seminar when I worked in employer compliance in the Revenue (and then put into practice on reviews), that redundancy was when the job (or office) was lost The job has gone, not to be replaced. If the job was still to be in existence (as appears to be the case), it was not redundancy, and contractual procedures for termination of contract for the employees concerned should be followed, which, again, clearly hasn't happened.
Unless I'm so far out of date that this is not now the case, please let me know - every day is (still) a learning day.

Last edited:
Sounds like they are going to use agency staff for everything, so there's no "jobs" any more, hence they're being made redundant. The people doing the work will be employed by someone else.
Also, my understanding of contracting something like this out would be that it should fall under TUPE (Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment). Certainly if they were changing from one contractor to another it would mean that all employment including T&CS is protected (in my limited understanding).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.