Painting outdoors when rain is forecasted

dobobobo

Please could any experienced painters tell me if I would be risking it by painting now when rain is forecasted at 9pm tonight?

1d03c6d1-bc51-45b9-a283-86733a2e91d4.jpg

I painted this rail on Wednesday afternoon but it was too hot for the paint, so it was rapidly drying out. I managed to paint the whole rail fast enough and it's turned out well, but there were corner bits (where the metal meets other metal) that I couldn't get too without it slowing me down and causing problems.

I've been waiting to paint the bits I've missed but it's been too fucking hot for the paint! It's now cool enough for the small bits that I need to do, but rain is forecasted for 9pm. I'm using Hammerite and the tin says the paint is touch dry in 1 to 2 hours. Please can you tell me if this is long enough before the rain comes, or should I just leave it and wait till I can do it again? (I can't do it during the week next week as I am starting a new job.)

If it's water-based paint, I'd say leave it, to avoid it running down onto the floor when the rain starts. If it oil-based, by all means go for it, but although the rain won't budge it, it will pit it. (making it look like little dots all over it)

Put a really big umbrella over it, or 3/4 normal-sized umbrellas

TangerineSteve17 said:
If it's water-based paint, I'd say leave it, to avoid it running down onto the floor when the rain starts. If it oil-based, by all means go for it, but although the rain won't budge it, it will pit it. (making it look like little dots all over it)

100% this.

If in doubt leave it a day or so.

TangerineSteve17 said:

Many thanks!!!! This happened in places on the shit paint I spent hours scraping off. I wondered what those dots were and just put it down to quality of the paint.

The Hammerite I am using is oil based, but the first coat came out well so I don't want to risk pitting it and then take a gamble that the second coat would cover the pits.

I'll wait untill there is a dry spell again.

Many thanks for your help TangerineSteve, I appreciate it! Far more helpful than the Hammerite website.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Feel free all to do what you want with this thread.

dobobobo said:
TangerineSteve17 said:

Many thanks!!!! This happened in places on the shit paint I spent hours scraping off. I wondered what those dots were and just put it down to quality of the paint.

The Hammerite I am using is oil based, but the first coat came out well so I don't want to risk pitting it and then take a gamble that the second coat would cover the pits.

I'll wait untill there is a dry spell again.

Many thanks for your help TangerineSteve, I appreciate it! Far more helpful than the Hammerite website.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Glad to be of service, been a PandD since I left school unfortunately. I assume you're using Hammerite smooth, and not Hammerite Hammered finish, the hammered finish will make metal look exactly that, hammered.

Barcon said:
Would oil based paint be dry in an hour or two?
I would leave it until a nicer day myself.

I think Hammerite were pushing that sales pitch, but yep it was dry after two hours. That said, I used a roller for the sake of speed which I think played a big part in it being able to dry quicker. I had to use the brush in places and in the parts where I missed the drips, the drips were still wet 24 hours later. (Which I aint complaining about because it enabled me to scrape the excess off.)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.