Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

That's what I was going to ask, never heard of it
Just googled it. A bit like tag rugby, seemingly.

Flag football is a variant of gridiron football (American football or Canadian football depending on location) where, instead of tackling players to the ground, the defensive team must remove a flag or flag belt from the ball carrier ("deflagging") to end a down. In flag football, contact is limited between players. The sport has a strong amateur following with several national and international competitions each year sponsored by various associations but is most popularly played in America where it was invented.

I’d be interested to see a ranking of the sports at this Olympics based on number of events/medals for each.

I have an impression that some, cycling, rowing or diving for example, seem to have a helluva lot, but that might be wrong, and just based on what I seem to have noticed more on tv in the UK.

The main ones are ...

Athletics 48
Swimming 35 (39 with Artistic Swimming & Marathon Swimming)
Wrestling 18
Judo 15
Shooting 15
Artistic Gymnastics 14 (18 with Rhythmic & Trampoline)
Rowing 14
Boxing 13
Track Cycling 12 (Cycling 22 with Mountain Biking, Road Cycling & BMX)
Fencing 12
Sailing 10
Sprint Canoe 10
Weightlifting 10

Please tell me this isn't in the next Olympics? It's just a non contact version of American football.

yes, the equivalent of touch rugby.

It was said during the last week that the lightweight double sculls (max weight per rowing teams) is being dropped. Something called coastal rowing is replacing it - rowing in the sea sounds like it could be a bit accident-prone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.