Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

BBC doing a great job. Watch the women’s BMX alive on the ‘second’ channel, switch by to the main channel when it’s finished and watch it all again…

I reminds me of the different strokes in swimming. Why do they even exist? Why is it not just a case of seeing who can get to the end the fastest? And I say that as someone who came second on the Cumbria all-Scouts 100m breaststroke final in the 90s. Why not have the 100m hopping? Or running backwards? It'd be like the high jump splitting into two separate events, when the fosbury flop was invented, and some people continuing to do the scissor technique.
Well in this case we are talking about the difference between running and walking, which I guess is fairly important, unless walking races were to be scrapped (which personally I wouldn’t have an issue with!).

Some of the rules in athletics don’t serve any purpose, eg refusing to measure a javelin distance if it doesn’t land nose first.
I know some old skoolers would disagree but I’d also like to see long jump measured from where you take off; get rid of all of this foul jump business, and just measure who jumps the furthest.

Anyway, rant over. Congrats on the breaststroke btw. Always found that the hardest stroke to do, could never get the leg action right. Backstroke for me, dead easy - as long as you could keep going in a straight line …

Well in this case we are talking about the difference between running and walking, which I guess is fairly important, unless walking races were to be scrapped (which personally I wouldn’t have an issue with!).

Some of the rules in athletics don’t serve any purpose, eg refusing to measure a javelin distance if it doesn’t land nose first.
I know some old skoolers would disagree but I’d also like to see long jump measured from where you take off; get rid of all of this foul jump business, and just measure who jumps the furthest.

Anyway, rant over. Congrats on the breaststroke btw. Always found that the hardest stroke to do, could never get the leg action right. Backstroke for me, dead easy - as long as you could keep going in a straight line …
The long jump idea has been mooted, not sure if it’s going to happen soon though as it’s not popular with some athletes and ex-athletes like Carl Lewis.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.