Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

That's not a huge surprise. Every country wants to do well at their home Olympics, and the benefits of that extra investment usually apply for the Olympics after that too. But then things go back to normal. We're still much better than we were when I was a kid. One gold medal in Atlanta. Three in Barcelona.

Brazil did well in Tokyo, and I suspect France will do well in Los Angeles. Japan arguably haven't had that rollover from Tokyo in Paris, but it's hard to tell until it's over, because you never know when each country's best events are coming.
Can't underestimate timezones of the Olympics either, this will be the most watched Olympics in Britain since London. I remember the Tokyo thread on here and it was much quieter.

So I expect we'll be stronger in LA, I think a lot of countries will be aiming to do well there due to the commercial benefits.

That’s the thing with the Olympics it’s very fine margins to win, so a close silver is still a silver (not having a pop)

That's my point. I've said a few times how many came so close to gold but didn't. We've been on the "losing" side too many times for this to be a "great" Olympics for Team GB. It's been good so far, not great. Yee (favourite), Pidcock (favourite) and the rowers pipping the Dutch are examples where we've "stolen" gold. But otherwise we've been beaten into silver far too many times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.