Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Be cynical no more…

Exercise-induced asthma is when the airways narrow or squeeze during hard physical activity. It causes shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing, and other symptoms during or after exercise.

The medical term for this condition is exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Many people with asthma have exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. But people without asthma also can have it.

Risk factors​

Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction is more likely to occur in:
  • People with asthma. About 90% of people with asthma have exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. However, the condition also can occur in people without asthma.
  • Elite athletes. Although anyone can have exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, it's more common in high-level athletes.
Factors that can increase the risk of the condition or act as triggers include:
  • Dry air.
  • Cold air.
  • Air pollution.
  • Chlorine in swimming pools.
  • In a gym setting, fumes from perfume, paint, new equipment or carpet.
  • Activities with long periods of deep breathing, such as long-distance running, swimming or soccer.
Oh, I am fully aware of this, mate. My partner has asthma.

I was more referring to Lyles specifically, as a top professional athlete, given the way in which asthma medication can act to enhance performance with specific use cases, particularly running and endurance sport.

GB Schedule
9th August

I want us to at least hit the mid point of UK Sport's medal target of 50-70. We're currently on 50, should be looking for 5 or 6 more today.

06:30 – Marathon Swimming – Men’s 10km – FINAL – Tobias Robinson (GBR), Hector Pardoe (GBR)
08:00 – Golf – Women’s Individual Stoke Play – Round 3 – Charley Hull (GBR) tee time: 09:22, Georgia Hall (GBR) tee time: 10:33
09:00 – Diving – Men’s 10m Platform – Preliminary – Kyle Kothari (GBR), Noah Williams (GBR)
09:05 – Athletics – Women’s Heptathlon – Long Jump – Katarina Johnson-Thompson (GBR), Jade O’Dowda (GBR)
09:15 – Sport Climbing – Men’s Boulder & Lead, FINAL BOULDER – Toby Roberts (GBR), Hamish McArthur (GBR)
09:40 – Athletics – Women’s 4x400m Relay – Round 1 – Great Britain
10:05 – Athletics – Men’s 4x400m Relay – Round 1 – Great Britain
10:23 – Women’s Heptathlon – Javelin Throw – Group A - Katarina Johnson-Thompson (GBR), Jade O’Dowda (GBR)
10:30 – Athletics – Men’s 800m – Semi-Final – Ben Pattison (GBR), Elliot Giles (GBR), Max Burgin (GBR)
11:05 – Athletics – Women’s 100m Hurdles – Semi-Final – Cindy Sember (GBR)
11:35 - Sport Climbing – Men’s Boulder & Lead, FINAL LEAD – Toby Roberts (GBR), Hamish McArthur (GBR)
12:00 – 13:40 – Modern Pentathlon – Men’s Individual – Semi-Finals (Riding Show Jumping, Fencing, Swimming, Laser Run) - Charles Brown (GBR), Joseph Choong (GBR
13:00 – Cycling Track – Women’s Sprint – Qualifying – Sophie Capewell (GBR), Emma Finucane (GBR)
13:48 – Cycling Track – Women’s Sprint – 1/32 Finals – Sophie Capewell (GBR), Emma Finucane (GBR)
13:41 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint – Semifinals, Race 1 – Harrie Lavreysen (NED) v Jack Carlin (GBR)
14:00 – Diving – Womens 3m Springboard – FINAL – Grace Reid (GBR), Yasmin Harper (GBR)
14:29 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint – Semifinals, Race 2 – Harrie Lavreysen (NED) v Jack Carlin (GBR)
14:32 – Cycling Track – Women’s Sprint – 1/32 Finals Repechages - If Sophie Capewell (GBR) and/or Emma Finucane (GBR) need it.
14:52 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint – Semifinals, Decider – Harrie Lavreysen (NED) v Jack Carlin (GBR) – If Needed.
16:00 – 17:40 – Modern Pentathlon – Men’s Individual – Semi-Finals (Riding Show Jumping, Fencing, Swimming, Laser Run) - Charles Brown (GBR), Joseph Choong (GBR
17:00 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint – FINAL – Race 1 – If Jack Carlin (GBR) qualifies.
17:09 – Cycling Track – Women’s Madison – FINAL – Elinor Barker & Neah Evans (GBR)
18:02 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint – FINAL – Race 2 – If Jack Carlin (GBR) qualifies.
18:10 – Cycling Track – Women’s Sprint – 1/16 Finals – If Sophie Capewell (GBR) and/or Emma Finucane (GBR) qualify.
18:30 – Artistic Swimming – Women’s Duet Technical Routine – Kate Shortman & Isabelle Thorpe (GBR)
18:30 – Athletics – Women’s 4 x 100m Relay – FINAL – Great Britain
18:38 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint – FINAL – Decider – If Jack Carlin (GBR) qualifies.
18:47 – Athletics – Men’s 4 x 100m Relay – FINAL – Great Britain
18:58 – Cycling Track – Women’s Sprint – 1/16 Finals Repechages - If Sophie Capewell (GBR) and/or Emma Finucane (GBR) need it.
19:00 – Athletics – Women’s 400m – FINAL – Amber Anning (GBR)
19:25 – Athletics – Women’s Heptathlon – 800m – FINAL EVENT - Katarina Johnson-Thompson (GBR), Jade O’Dowda (GBR)
19:57 – Women’s 10,000m – FINAL – Megan Keith (GBR), Eilish McColgan (GBR)

Athletics Schedule
09:05 – Women’s Heptathlon – Long Jump
09:40 – Women’s 4x400m Relay – Round 1
10:05 – Men’s 4x400m Relay – Round 1
10:23 – Women’s Heptathlon – Javelin Throw – Group A
10:30 – Men’s 800m – Semi-Final
11:05 – Women’s 100m Hurdles – Semi-Final
11:32 – Women’s Heptathlon – Javelin Throw – Group B
18:30 – Women’s 4 x 100m Relay – FINAL
18:37 – Women’s Shot Put – FINAL
18:47 – Men’s 4 x 100m Relay – FINAL
19:00 – Women’s 400m – FINAL
19:13 – Men’s Triple Jump – FINAL
19:25 – Women’s Heptathlon – 800m – FINAL EVENT
19:57 – Women’s 10,000m – FINAL
20:45 – Men’s 400m Hurdles - FINAL

Other
Breakdancing starts today.
17:00 – Football – Men’s – FINAL – France v Spain

Oh, I am fully aware of this, mate. My partner has asthma.

I was more referring to Lyles specifically, as a top professional athlete, given the way in which asthma medication can act to enhance performance with specific use cases, particularly running and endurance sport.
To be fair, I found this from 2020 so if it is one of the bullshit TUEs, he's definitely been playing the long game. Hope not though, because he's the first likeable 100m winner since Usain Bolt. Most of the others act like bellends, like they're a heavyweight boxer or something.

I always saw the asthma trick as more of an endurance sport thing anyway.

Good to know. Perhaps it has all been above board.

Speaking of, what are your thoughts on the officiating at the end of the US-Serbia game?
I thought the officiating was fine. It wasn't until I saw your comments here did I think there were questionable calls down the stretch.

Which calls in particular did you think were missed or called incorrectly?

I definitely think the Serbian player bringing the ball up the court went over and back at midcourt and was correct on a turnover. Credit to KD defense there. The fouls too that were called looked legit too. Anything I should be looking at in my DVR replay?

Obviously as others have noted, Curry, Embiid, KD, and LeBron were big down the stretch. The turning point to me was when the Serbian wide open 3 point shot didn't go in and USA finally got the scrappy rebound. For as well as Serbia shot all game for 3 periods, they hit zero 3 pointers in the 4th. That was pretty big, and many of the 3s they took were wild, shot clock running out, throw it up off-center attempts too. Credit the US defense on that, which was lock down in that period.

Last edited:
Been in quarantine since the 100M and had to wear a mask, except to race.
He covered most of this in the post race interview with NBC, including how he will not be racing in the 4x100m relay and that his Olympics are over. He was tested positive on Tuesday after waking up feeling sick that day. His NBC post race interview is also linked within this article:

He is and should be happy to earn a Bronze today. Tebogo ran a great race and happy for him and Botswana's Gold, the first ever for an African nation in the 200m.

Big congrats to "Kung Fu" Kenny Bednarek and his family on his Silver too! Great seeing them all enjoy that moment of hard work.
1723167049471.png

Last edited:
He covered most of this in the post race interview with NBC, including how he will not be racing in the 4x100m relay and that his Olympics are over. He was tested positive on Tuesday after waking up feeling sick that day. His NBC post race interview is also linked within this article:

He is and should be happy to earn a Bronze today. Tebogo ran a great race and happy for him and Botswana's Gold, the first ever for an African nation in the 200m.

Big congrats to "Kung Fu" Kenny Bednarek and his family on his Silver too! Great seeing them all enjoy that moment of hard work.
View attachment 127786
Bednarek seems like a top quality guy. Carries himself well and, as the new vibe goes, looks filled with joy!

Bednarek seems like a top quality guy. Carries himself well and, as the new vibe goes, looks filled with joy!
I see what you did there, and yes, I'm feeling those same vibes of joy for him too. ;-)

A humble no-nonsense athlete who just goes about his business. A great story of a kid from foster care at a young age who has really nice story of becoming a world-class athlete.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.