Paul Merson

Thinking back to when Sky got rid of the Soccer Saturday panel (big nose, Charlie etc) I always wondered how Paul Merson kept his job. Maybe Sky knew the problems he was still having and didn’t want to throw him into a deep financial hole?

I did feel sorry for him....until I saw his behaviour in the first test. What an absolute dick, who gambles like that and then has a hissy fit because he bet on the wrong colour. Score of 93 was nearly double the average for someone with a gambling addiction...more about his lack of a brain and self control than anything else.

Until you had this kind of addiction then you cannot pull people to bits grow having it .............. it’s all down to the persons mentality and if you’ve an addiction then you know where I’m coming from ............ the FOBTS was the starting point how many of these bookmakers took billions of the vulnerable????? I used to play them and the antics that they used to do was absolutely shocking .......... they play on people’s anger and vulnerability:( how manybetting shops did you see with smashed windows ????? Now I can put money that they where never reported to the plod because these parasites didn’t want the hassle .............. for the rats make billions of bent races and even bent football matches but even that wasn’t enough

I didn't see the programme, but heard him being interviewed on the Guardian podcast. I read his first book 20 odd years ago, which I thought was excellent at the time.

What I found annoying about him was that he was saying he realised he had a disease. I was under the impression he had a disease 20 odd years ago.

Gamstop UK is a good tool online for anyone wishing to restrict their betting habits.
Takes details to ascertain your identity and ultimately stops you setting up accounts on online betting sites, at least to the sites that have signed up to it, which is quite a lot I believe. You can’t reverse it and it Lasts 5 years.

Until you had this kind of addiction then you cannot pull people to bits grow having it .............. it’s all down to the persons mentality and if you’ve an addiction then you know where I’m coming from ............ the FOBTS was the starting point how many of these bookmakers took billions of the vulnerable????? I used to play them and the antics that they used to do was absolutely shocking .......... they play on people’s anger and vulnerability:( how manybetting shops did you see with smashed windows ????? Now I can put money that they where never reported to the plod because these parasites didn’t want the hassle .............. for the rats make billions of bent races and even bent football matches but even that wasn’t enough
FOBTS were the reason for the proliferation of betting shops mostly in town/city centres. Betting shops had been in steady decline since the early 70’s, down to about 8k.

The shops were allowed a maximum of 4 terminals per site so to get more they simply opened more shops. When legislation was brought in to restrict the bet to £2 per spin shops were closed as business was declining (online also becoming more popular).

The FOBTS were (previous to the stake restriction) used for money laundering, they operate on a 3.5% margin so it’s an attractive proposition to clean dirty money for such a small commission, black or red, odds or evens, take your pick.

It is the crack cocaine of gambling, unfortunately most of the punters just go online now, the problem has been shifted not solved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.