PC server question

ob

Doing IT course in Feb and need to know what a Linex Server does and what tasks it performs?

A server sits in the middle of a group of users with their own computers and it (usually) is used to store files, manage back-ups, handle shared resources like printers or internet access, provide some amount of security over all of that and give the IT bloke and excuse to get paid more because no one else understands what it does.

Danamy said:
Maybe they should teach you how to use Google first!! ;)

Do know how to use google how do you think I got on here. I have looked it up but wasn't very helpful or specific and thought someone on here might help. Sorry to have troubled you but thought whole point of this index was City fans helping each other with 'technical queries' may take my custom elsewhere.

Big thanks to those who did answer with tips though.

bluetealeaf said:
Do you mean Linux ?

yea sorry meant Linux, been on their website but didn't help much. Just got promotion at work and have this course to attend and wanted a bit of background before I go.

BlackSheep said:
A server sits in the middle of a group of users with their own computers and it (usually) is used to store files, manage back-ups, handle shared resources like printers or internet access, provide some amount of security over all of that and give the IT bloke and excuse to get paid more because no one else understands what it does.

Thanks blacksheep mate

ob said:
Doing IT course in Feb and need to know what a Linex Server does and what tasks it performs?

It does what you tell it to do.

Webserver, email server, file server, print server, dns server, database server, anything.

It's worth learning, Linux is growing very fast in the server market.

At work we use Linux on servers and desktops.

If you are learning it then I would install it, either as a desktop or server if you have a spare machine, if you have a good modern fast pc you could also use vmware and install linux that way so you dont have to replace your current desktop.

I can find links or explain anything you need to know about Linux, although not much this week, I'm in the UK and wont be home until next week. I have only every really used Linux so I know more about this and Unix than windows, started using it in 1997 and to be honest, once you learn it and understand it there is no way I could ever justify using windows. Why use something that does not do what microsoft say and is a constant problem with viruses and at the same time costs you a lot of money.

helmutvandeshaft said:
ob said:

It does what you tell it to do.

Webserver, email server, file server, print server, dns server, database server, anything.

It's worth learning, Linux is growing very fast in the server market.

At work we use Linux on servers and desktops.

If you are learning it then I would install it, either as a desktop or server if you have a spare machine, if you have a good modern fast pc you could also use vmware and install linux that way so you dont have to replace your current desktop.

I can find links or explain anything you need to know about Linux, although not much this week, I'm in the UK and wont be home until next week. I have only every really used Linux so I know more about this and Unix than windows, started using it in 1997 and to be honest, once you learn it and understand it there is no way I could ever justify using windows. Why use something that does not do what microsoft say and is a constant problem with viruses and at the same time costs you a lot of money.

All help greatly received, I got book on networking/servers from the lcoal library.

Cheers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.