Peak Man City vs Great Historial teams

And Champions League winners.

Its a UK site calculated using the same methodology most sporting rankings use.

The methodology favours temporary form over trophies, which makes it somewhat dubious. Liverpool had a fantastic period in 19/20 and dropped only 2 pts in the first 29 games. But ultimately they failed in the other competitions and shouldn't be so high. The Centurions did better than them over the whole season, same with the Fourmidables, not to mention great sides from the past like Sacchi’s Milan.

The methodology favours temporary form over trophies, which makes it somewhat dubious. Liverpool had a fantastic period in 19/20 and dropped only 2 pts in the first 29 games. But ultimately they failed in the other competitions and shouldn't be so high. The Centurions did better than them over the whole season, same with the Fourmidables, not to mention great sides from the past like Sacchi’s Milan.
Yes Alex. All your comments are correct.

The system takes no notice whatsoever of trophies but looks back at a period which best predicts future results (in this case about 18 months) It looks at the strength of opposition played, the result and the margin of victory/defeat and isn’t designed to take notice of anything else.

While that might seem a bit strange it has to do that to remain objective. A team could have won a mediocre domestic league by a small margin and had an easy run in the CL but won it for example, whereas another team might have done well in the best league in the World and lost the CL final. The first team gets two trophies whereas the second gets none and, as a result, doesn’t get remembered as easily.

The best National team I ever saw was Brazil 1982 yet they won nothing.

I‘m not saying it would necessarily be my personal list but it is an objective way to compare a team’s peak.

It’s almost impossible to objectively compare teams from different eras but it is possible to compare levels of dominance peaks from different eras. Perhaps the elo ranking is answering a different question than the one asked on this thread which is up for debate of course.

I loved the Centurions team too. Completely by co-incidence the second Jesus’ goal crossed the line to get us 100 points was the first time in history most ranking sites recorded us as the best team in the World.

You might like this:

Last edited:
It's all very conjecture based and the 2nd best team ever didn't win the CL yet the 4th has. Go figure it's an argument for the nerds.

How does the Man City from March - May last season stack up against some of the recent great teams in history? I am of the belief that in general, the game moves on, new tactics and styles are developed. Teams from today, face far more in terms of opposition pressing than teams did from 15 years ago. Pep's Barcelona was the early adopter of current styles employed by top teams today and played futuristic to other teams back then, I am not convinced that version of 'tiki-taka' with a bunch of 5'6 players today would not get bowled over by a peak Klopp pressing team.

Barcelona 2009/2010
Bayern 2012/2013
Barcelona 2014/2014
Real Madrid 2016/2017
Bayern 2019/2020

Pep has improved over the years and we have the best version of him availiable. He has experienced different leagues and has moulded his team to have little to no weaknesses, last year he went with big, athletic players. I could see the current City bullying the early Barca team who wouldn't be used to someone matching them in ability (almost) and overpowering them in physicality.
65-35 City

Bayern from 2013 was a great team, but lacked a lethal finisher like Haaland, they had Mario Gomez as their top striker, so City over them, definitely out class them on a squad level too.
60-40 City

Barcelona with the trident of Neymar, Suarez and Messi is a problem. They could be physically out matched by this towering inferno though.
55-45 City

Real Madrid with BBC would be a good natural counter to peak City. Real match up physically and demonstrated an ability to beat teams similiar to current City that year.
50-50.

Bayern with Flick found some kind of goal scoring cheat code, this is another even tie.
50-50
Those are some mad predicted scorelines!…:)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.