Pellegrini struggling to match Mancini's transfer hit-rate

Re: Pellegrini struggling to match Mancini's transfer hit-ra

leech said:
Dribble said:
leech said:
Mancini's best signings were back when we had near unlimited funds to throw around at players.

When he had to work on a budget he brought in Garcia, Nastasic, Maicon, Rodwell and Sinclair.
Events at the time show what you're saying is plainly wrong? Mancini wanted RVP, Hazard and Di Rossi and I'm sure if he was told 'You've only got £55m to spend' he would have chosen 2 from 3 and ustilised the squad he had.

Mancini was at war with Marwood over the timing and the quality of our signings that summer and history has proven him right as less than 3 years later, all those players are all but gone. If you look at Mancini's transfer footprint, you can still see that many of the players he bought AND the ones he inherited and nurtured still form the core of our team today, so aside from Maicon who he'd worked with previously, why would he have gone against his normal recruitment policy and bought that load of dross?

That 2012 transfer window has to go down as our most disastrous one post Sheikh Mansour and we are still feeling the effects of it today and counting the cost in terms of trying to get rid of the players bought and so meekly surrendering our title to one of the worst ManUre squads in their modern history and I for one don't blame Mancini for any of it.
But you'll happily blame Pellegrini for the players Begiristain helped buy? Not that I would say any of the players we've bought have been flops to the scale of those bought in 2012.

Mancini had long coveted Garcia and Nastasic before 2012, and intimated that Manchester City had "worked well" on the last day of the transfer window despite being too slow before. Never one for blaming other people for his mistakes, I'm sure Mancini himself had nothing to do with us losing out on the easy-to-get top quality signings he earmarked such as De Rossi, Hazard & co despite it often being a manager's job to do a large part of the wooing himself.

2012 was the first year Mancini and team didn't have an unbeatable large pile of cash to throw at all their transfer conundrums and came up short, that is the bottom line. More so than Pellegrini/Begiristain ever have.

You've nailed it there.

leech said:
Dribble said:
leech said:
Mancini's best signings were back when we had near unlimited funds to throw around at players.

When he had to work on a budget he brought in Garcia, Nastasic, Maicon, Rodwell and Sinclair.
Events at the time show what you're saying is plainly wrong? Mancini wanted RVP, Hazard and Di Rossi and I'm sure if he was told 'You've only got £55m to spend' he would have chosen 2 from 3 and ustilised the squad he had.

Mancini was at war with Marwood over the timing and the quality of our signings that summer and history has proven him right as less than 3 years later, all those @players are all but gone. If you look at Mancini's transfer footprint, you can still see that many of the players he bought AND the ones he inherited and nurtured still form the core of our team today, so aside from Maicon who he'd worked with previously, why would he have gone against his normal recruitment policy and bought that load of dross?

That 2012 transfer window has to go down as our most disastrous one post Sheikh Mansour and we are still feeling the effects of it today and counting the cost in terms of trying to get rid of the players bought and so meekly surrendering our title to one of the worst ManUre squads in their modern history and I for one don't blame Mancini for any of it.
But you'll happily blame Pellegrini for the players Begiristain helped buy? Not that I would say any of the players we've bought have been flops to the scale of those bought in 2012.

Mancini had long coveted Garcia and Nastasic before 2012, and intimated that Manchester City had "worked well" on the last day of the transfer window despite being too slow before. Never one for blaming other people for his mistakes, I'm sure Mancini himself had nothing to do with us losing out on the easy-to-get top quality signings he earmarked such as De Rossi, Hazard & co despite it often being a manager's job to do a large part of the wooing himself.

2012 was the first year Mancini and team didn't have an unbeatable large pile of cash to throw at all their transfer conundrums and came up short, that is the bottom line. More so than Pellegrini/Begiristain ever have.
Who mentioned Pellegrini or Begiristain? It's you who are overtly making a lame attempt to turn this into something completely different, so do us all a favour fella and pack it in because its a silly argument that doesn't interest me in the slightest. Let's look at the facts:

1. Was Bigiristain here in the summer of 2012?
2. Was Pellegrini here in the summer of 2012?
3. Was Soriano properly insitu in the summer of 2012?

What was being discussed was the players bought during that period NOT Pellegrini being to blame for the players Begiristain bought since. I don't even know where you've picked that Pellegrini/Begiristain crap up from and I find it incredible you've levelled it at me as if its a conversation I've ever held or a statement I've ever made.

Pray tell me where Mancini said he'd 'long coveted Garcia and Nastasic'? All I can remember from that summer is Mancini spending the first part of it telling anyone who'd listen that he wanted Di Rossi, Hazard and RVP and never once can I recall he or anyone else ever mentioning Nastasic or Garcia. He was even reportedly summoned to Abu Dhabi and told to button it by SM because he was so pissed at our lack of transfer activity.

If ever there was a transfer window for us to consolidate our position and drive home our slender league advantage, then this was the one. As you correctly mention FFP, was looming large on the horizon so apparently £55m was the most we could spend, so are you seriously trying to tell me that Mancini would have said 'Bollocks to RVP, Di Rossi and Hazard, its quantity I need not quality so I think I'll turn my covetousness away from 2 out of those 3 and pursue Garcia, Nastasic, Rodwell, Maicon and Scott fuckin Sinclair instead'?

In 2012 we came up short like you said, but when asked in an interview about our transfer activity that summer, Mancini told the press to go ask Marwood as he was the man in charge of transfers not he. No matter how unpalatable that may be for you to absorb (as you seem intent on blaming Mancini for everything that went wrong that summer), it is what it is. Mancini warned we'd regret what happened that summer and so it was proved as we meekly surrendered our title to ManUre and have spent the subsequent 2 years trying to jettison the players bought that summer.

Now tell me again if all that sounds like a move Mancini would have made? He may have had his faults like we all have, but he's not bollock-brained enough to go out and buy that lot over trying to land RVP, Di Rossi and RVP. As for Marwood, our embarrassing 2012 transfer window sounds like something an unqualified football manager would have done, so that's the dots joined up and the picture painted for you.

Dribble said:
leech said:
Dribble said:

Mancini was at war with Marwood over the timing and the quality of our signings that summer and history has proven him right as less than 3 years later, all those @players are all but gone. If you look at Mancini's transfer footprint, you can still see that many of the players he bought AND the ones he inherited and nurtured still form the core of our team today, so aside from Maicon who he'd worked with previously, why would he have gone against his normal recruitment policy and bought that load of dross?

Who mentioned Pellegrini or Begiristain? It's you who are overtly making a lame attempt to turn this into something completely different, so do us all a favour fella and pack it in because its a silly argument that doesn't interest me in the slightest. Let's look at the facts:

What was being discussed was the players bought during that period NOT Pellegrini being to blame for the players Begiristain bought since. I don't even know where you've picked that Pellegrini/Begiristain crap up from and I find it incredible you've levelled it at me as if its a conversation I've ever held or a statement I've ever made.

Pray tell me where Mancini said he'd 'long coveted Garcia and Nastasic'? All I can remember from that summer is Mancini spending the first part of it telling anyone who'd listen that he wanted Di Rossi, Hazard and RVP and never once can I recall he or anyone else ever mentioning Nastasic or Garcia. He was even reportedly summoned to Abu Dhabi and told to button it by SM because he was so pissed at our lack of transfer activity.

If ever there was a transfer window for us to consolidate our position and drive home our slender league advantage, then this was the one. As you correctly mention FFP, was looming large on the horizon so apparently £55m was the most we could spend, so are you seriously trying to tell me that Mancini would have said 'Bollocks to RVP, Di Rossi and Hazard, its quantity I need not quality so I think I'll turn my covetousness away from 2 out of those 3 and pursue Garcia, Nastasic, Rodwell, Maicon and Scott fuckin Sinclair instead'?

In 2012 we came up short like you said, but when asked in an interview about our transfer activity that summer, Mancini told the press to go ask Marwood as he was the man in charge of transfers not he. No matter how unpalatable that may be for you to absorb (as you seem intent on blaming Mancini for everything that went wrong that summer), it is what it is. Mancini warned we'd regret what happened that summer and so it was proved as we meekly surrendered our title to ManUre and have spent the subsequent 2 years trying to jettison the players bought that summer.

Now tell me again if all that sounds like a move Mancini would have made? He may have had his faults like we all have, but he's not bollock-brained enough to go out and buy that lot over trying to land RVP, Di Rossi and RVP. As for Marwood, our embarrassing 2012 transfer window sounds like something an unqualified football manager would have done, so that's the dots joined up and the picture painted for you.

giphy.gif

Amen.
You have hit the nail on the head, nothing more to add to your analysis.

Dribble said:
leech said:
Dribble said:

So you don't blame Mancini or Pellegrini for the transfer windows they were manager for? What on earth are you doing posting in this thread then?

To dissect some of your other points-
Of Nastasic - "Nastasic will be one of the top players for a long time"
Of Garcia - couldn't find a direct quote but BBC reckoned "City boss Roberto Mancini made 25-year-old Garcia a priority after Daniele de Rossi decided to stay at Roma and Nigel de Jong moved to AC Milan"
As you said in your previous post he already knew Maicon from his time at Inter - "We are talking about one top player in Maicon, because he has experience"
Of Marwood & co - "I was frustrated as it is difficult to do everything in one week or 10 days, only this reason. Now I think they have worked very well in the last two weeks"..."But if I get these players [his 2012 summer signings], I am happy". He changed his position again when things started going wrong mid-season of course.

It's well acknowledged he wanted De Rossi, Martinez, the guy from Top Gun & everyone else that Megapockets Ltd chases but where a manager really makes his corn in the transfer window is his second-choices, the bargains, Kompany/Zabaleta/Demichelis that can do just or close to as good a job as the Hollywoods on your A-list. It would be quite easy for Pellegrini to identify Pogba/Reus/Cavani as his top 3 signings this summer then publicly throw his toys out of the pram at every opportunity when he doesn't get them, but that's not predominantly where the transfer market will be won and lost.

If you think a manager isn't involved at all in the recruitment process and is therefore automatically blameless when things go wrong, you are a fool.

Not wishing to tip the deluded over the edge.........
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-transfer-news-javi-1282682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... vi-1282682</a>

FantasyIreland said:
Not wishing to tip the deluded over the edge.........
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-transfer-news-javi-1282682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... vi-1282682</a>

thankfull that is an older article or one might think that we are back in for Javi reading the URL only

leech said:
VOOMER said:
leech said:

Your not making sense, are we not blaming Pellers, but blaming Tixxi, blaming Bobby, or blaming Marwood, for Tixxi's deals, or blaming Mancini for everything ? Why weren't yaya, nasri, sergio, silva, clichy , Mario, or Milner put of coming when Bobby was in charge?
I'm saying let's not fawn over Mancini's transfer prowess, money brought those players in.

I don't think we can blame, or praise either for our signings as there was either Marwood, Tixxi, or another involved. However, Bobby had some real pulling power and that batch of Nasri, Silva, Sergio, Yaya, Milner and Clichy have been crucial to us and all involved with those signings should taker a bow. Also Nigel, AK, Vinnie, Zabs, Johnson, Nasty, Navas, Beast Fern and Sagna, have either been good value, or turned around with help. I feel the role of Football Director doesn't work and is being jettisoned at most big clubs in favour of what is usually 3 man group with the manager having the final say, because he is usually the one facing the chop. Fungus didn't need a director, Jose doesn't have one and Wegner doesn't.
I feel that Peller's is not to blame for any perceived bad signings, as he doesn't have the final say and I would say the same for Bobby. Anyone who saw the difference he made to Zab's, Vinnie and Yaya, should appreciate he is a good manager. Also think about RSQ & Ade, nearly £45 million of inherited waste from a really dodgy transfer window. I feel Tixxi's track record to doesn't warrant him being involved with our club and his buddy, should get of his high horse and understand we aren't Barcelona and if we are to surpass them we have to win a fair few titles and CL, but I guess that may be an unfair comment, its just the impression I get of him. Khaldoon seems more accessible. All in all though its the scum in Uefa who have had the biggest impact on our transfers, can't wait till Dupont wins his case.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.