Penalty shoot out order

Tourist since 1971 said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
That's good but practicing them at Carrington and taking them at the Swamp under pressure are two different things.

As the rags found out.
Of course it is different but there is evidence that shows that the more you have practised an activity the better you hold up when you are performing under severe pressure. Practise is the key and putting your calmer, better pen takers nearer to the end of the 5 where the pressure gets even greater. I never fancied our takers against Gillingham but Royle, to his immense credit, had them practising pens all week and boy did it show. It gets right on my tits when you hear dinosaurs like Alan Shearer who trot out the usual "there is no point practising pens" line, it's exactly that kind of thinking that has meant England have been also rans for years and why in penalty shoot outs I don't fancy the English players to score. Of course it is difficult to account for players like phil jones whose basic technique when it comes to kicking a ball is utterly hopeless. I remeber watching a documentary about the science of penalty shoot outs years ago and they put a load of evidence to Shearer who was only in 30s at the time, that practising was important and that the better takers should go nearer the end. His response was just "rubbish, no point practising and the better ones should go first." I thought at that moment, he will never be a good manager, narrow minded and the brain of an 80 year old when he was 30.

Absolutely agree. Of course you can't replicate the pressure of a shoot out or the fatigue, seeing as you have probably already played 2 hours of football before taking your pen, but you can certainly practise the technique of actually kicking th eball to the right place.

If you have the mechanics of the penalty in your muscle memory then the stress is the only thing you have to worry about. If you never practise them you've got the stress of the situation combined with the additional thought processes of 'where am I going to put it?' 'should I place it or twat it?' 'am I going to look where the keeper is?' etc.

Following the logic of Shearer, why bother practising anything if all you need to do is turn up and play, just because you were the best kid in the playground? Idiotic. Just get it practised so its a natural physical process and enjoy the glory of smashing the winning penalty past Neuer in Lisbon in May.

The weird thing about Shearer is that he doesn't just reserve it for penalty shoot outs, it is just penalties full stop that he bizarrely seems to think are unaffected by practise. I have heard him say in the past (not referring to a shoot out) that there is no point in any footballer practising penalty taking because it is a skill you either naturally have or you don't. Very very strange attitude and I assume he doesn't have that opinion on any other skill in the game. Shearer was a very good player but conversely he sums up everything that has been wrong with English football over the years. And there are plenty of old school cretins about in the English game who have similar views.

I'm surprised that Fernandinho doesn't feature in many of these posts - I've not seen him take a pen but he comes across as a cool, composed character and strikes the ball well.

Tourist since 1971 said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
That's good but practicing them at Carrington and taking them at the Swamp under pressure are two different things.

As the rags found out.
Of course it is different but there is evidence that shows that the more you have practised an activity the better you hold up when you are performing under severe pressure. Practise is the key and putting your calmer, better pen takers nearer to the end of the 5 where the pressure gets even greater. I never fancied our takers against Gillingham but Royle, to his immense credit, had them practising pens all week and boy did it show. It gets right on my tits when you hear dinosaurs like Alan Shearer who trot out the usual "there is no point practising pens" line, it's exactly that kind of thinking that has meant England have been also rans for years and why in penalty shoot outs I don't fancy the English players to score. Of course it is difficult to account for players like phil jones whose basic technique when it comes to kicking a ball is utterly hopeless. I remeber watching a documentary about the science of penalty shoot outs years ago and they put a load of evidence to Shearer who was only in 30s at the time, that practising was important and that the better takers should go nearer the end. His response was just "rubbish, no point practising and the better ones should go first." I thought at that moment, he will never be a good manager, narrow minded and the brain of an 80 year old when he was 30.

Absolutely agree. Of course you can't replicate the pressure of a shoot out or the fatigue, seeing as you have probably already played 2 hours of football before taking your pen, but you can certainly practise the technique of actually kicking th eball to the right place.

If you have the mechanics of the penalty in your muscle memory then the stress is the only thing you have to worry about. If you never practise them you've got the stress of the situation combined with the additional thought processes of 'where am I going to put it?' 'should I place it or twat it?' 'am I going to look where the keeper is?' etc.

Following the logic of Shearer, why bother practising anything if all you need to do is turn up and play, just because you were the best kid in the playground? Idiotic. Just get it practised so its a natural physical process and enjoy the glory of smashing the winning penalty past Neuer in Lisbon in May.

Perhaps the nearest experience in sport to taking a penalty in a shoot out is walking out to bat in test cricket. In his autobiography, Ricky Ponting disclosed the 16 point checklist he went through from the wicket falling to receiving his first ball. Some of it is banal ("take chewing gum out of mouth") and there's a touch of OCD about it (saying "watch the ball" twice as the bowler runs in). But there's a lot of stuff about the how he walks to the wicket ("with pace and purpose") and his routine at the wicket. Everything was geared to making sure that his state of mind was just right when he faced the first ball.

The thing that struck me about the penalties on Wednesday was the run ups. Only one was smooth and a decent pace and that produced the best penalty. The rest all charged at the ball or put in short stuttering run ups. It didn't appear that many of them had worked out in advance how many paces they were going take and where they were going to place the ball.

1. Yaya
2. Kolarov
3. Aguero
4. Milner
5. Nasri

6. Navas
7. Hart
8. Negredo
9. Jovetic
10. Garcia
11. Fernandinho

I think we'd be very good in a penalty shoot out, only thing to maybe worry about is that in my opinion Hart's not great at saving pens.

Anyone know if there's anything which shows the penalty records of players because I imagine most of our players will have near perfect records?

SrilankanBlue said:
neel said:
As we are still on all the 4 cups there may be a chance we may face penalty shoot out in one of the cups....As this requires players who are calm under pressure,what do you guys think should be order of penalty takers from our squad....Personally I would go with below

1) Toure
2) Kolerov
3) Nasri
4) Aguero
5) Kompany
6) Zabelleta
7) Milner
8) Negredo
9) Silva
10) Navas
11) Fernandhino
12) Demichelles
13) garcia
14) jovetic
15) Dzeko
16)Rodwell
17)Clichy
18) Hart

Aguero
Toure
Kolarov
Milner
Negredo
Jovetic
Nasri

Silva/Dzeko would be below Hart in my pecking order, abysmal when they've taken penalties

The last and only pen (I think) he took was just marginally better than the Wellshite and Jones pens t'other night. Better only in that it was on target!

Nasri seems to be popular in many lists here. Is he really that good in penalties?

People do realise that Negredo is an excellent penalty taker right?<br /><br />-- Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:35 pm --<br /><br />People do realise that Negredo is an excellent penalty taker right?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.