Pension Choice

That vision looks a way off reality as things stand but if my NIO shares finally take off then I might be in luck!
Now that is a pipe dream!

I bought a few based on the giddiness in here - I must have bought at the peak $48.

Not moaning - I invested £1400 in total across a few shares. money I could afford to lose - and they're currently worth about £700 !

Now that is a pipe dream!

I bought a few based on the giddiness in here - I must have bought at the peak $48.

Not moaning - I invested £1400 in total across a few shares. money I could afford to lose - and they're currently worth about £700 !
The peak was around 66$ I think so you never know. In many ways, it's still a fledgling company with huge potential for growth.

My average buying price is around 42$. I daren't tell you how many I bought!

You are correct about the 25% tax-free.

However, you can then leave the other 75% invested and "draw-down" what you need each year.
So, for example, you could take out £10K a year and it will all be tax-free (providing you don't have any other income or state pension).

The theory is that you can take what you need to top up your state pension and whilst leaving it invested, it will last a lot longer than handing over all your money and buying an annual pension.

FWIW, I agree with you paying your debts first.

My view is that people have had it drummed into them to save, save, save for your pension without considering that you will need way less money in retirement than you do now (whilst paying a mortgage, paying for family holidays etc.) This is why I prefer the balanced approach of putting a small amount in your pension whilst making sure you do the big things now (whilst you are fit, able and have all your marbles!)
That's exactly what I did for 3 years until I started getting my state pension 3 months ago.
I was taking £1,000 per month, but now I have a state pension of £825 per month, I am only taking £550 per month from my personal pension.
It's now projected to last me until I'm 96 years old,which will probably see me off.
It also means that my wife can retire in 3 months (age 64.5 years) and we can live very comfortably until she gets a similar state pension in 18 months time.

That's exactly what I did for 3 years until I started getting my state pension 3 months ago.
I was taking £1,000 per month, but now I have a state pension of £825 per month, I am only taking £550 per month from my personal pension.
It's now projected to last me until I'm 96 years old,which will probably see me off.
It also means that my wife can retire in 3 months (age 64.5 years) and we can live very comfortably until she gets a similar state pension in 18 months time.
With the lifestyles we've had mate ....96? Spend it quick ;)

That's the kind of figures I'm thinking about. I'm 54 now and am looking to retire any time between 62-65 depending on how the figures are looking

Looks like you'll have about £10K state pension each with an extra £6k or so to top it up. Sensible figures for which you probably haven't had to shove too much in over your working life.

That's the kind of figures I'm thinking about. I'm 54 now and am looking to retire any time between 62-65 depending on how the figures are looking

Looks like you'll have about £10K state pension each with an extra £6k or so to top it up. Sensible figures for which you probably haven't had to shove too much in over your working life.
Great post.
My state pension is £9,919 at this moment in time,with maybe another 10% on top from next April.
The wife is about £20 per month less ( much to her chagrin) but I paid more into SERPS than her.
It will give us somewhere between £2300/2500 per month, which is plenty for our lifestyle.
And don't forget half price season card,free public transport and £200-500 to pay our winter gas bill.

Im 55 in December & looking to do the following so that i can help my Children with deposits etc, anyone know the tax implications of the below ?
I have an appointment with the pension advisor next week but just wanted to see if what i think is correct, actually is.

Salary - 33k
Pension 1 has 18k in it.
Cash in pension 1 =18k, 25% is tax free
Pension 2 has 100k in it.
Take 25% of pension 2

Thanks for any help

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.