Pep’s new tactic - the 3-1-6 (or 3-1-3-3)

Tricky_Trev

I appreciate not everyone cares for the finer details of exactly what Pep is up to, but for anyone that’s interested, I feel like this video is a fantastic breakdown of some things to look out for as the season progresses.

I think we’re all used to the idea of a ‘box midfield’ now - everyone has copied it. Well, true to form, Pep is one step ahead again and is already evolving to the next tactic that everyone will copy in time.

And probably the key player that enables it to work is Rico Lewis, so great news for him :)

This was actually what Pep's 3-1-6 started out as.

When Pep switched to the 3-1-6 setup (Haaland's debut season), he rotated between the diamond midfield and box midfield (single pivot vs double pivot). Eventually, he settled mostly on the box version, much like everyone else that copied that tactic, because it gave more stability in midfield.

The video does show a good analysis on how Pep cracks Chelsea's double pivot. There's a likelihood we might see more of the diamond shape this season with more teams seemingly favoring the double pivot/box midfield.

This is great, nice one.

I couldn't work out what spaces Rico was taking up but just about knew it wasn't exactly the same as the box. I also knew the system was designed to create space for the wingers without fully doing the counter-attack of early City Pep.

This video probably explains why we aren't desperate to go into the market either. There's cover in all the key positions that make the system work.

I appreciate not everyone cares for the finer details of exactly what Pep is up to, but for anyone that’s interested, I feel like this video is a fantastic breakdown of some things to look out for as the season progresses.

I think we’re all used to the idea of a ‘box midfield’ now - everyone has copied it. Well, true to form, Pep is one step ahead again and is already evolving to the next tactic that everyone will copy in time.

And probably the key player that enables it to work is Rico Lewis, so great news for him :)

It's an interesting video and take on a potential evolution. It may also simply be it was a formation/style that worked with the players we had available
I wouldn't read too much into it after playing a Chelsea side who were disjointed at best, and still working on things under a new manager (Sorry @Vialli98 )
Let's see what happens in the next few outings.

That performance from Lewis yesterday helped make this system work. He really was that good in attack and defence, with and without the ball. Interesting to see if captain walker can match the youngsters football intelligence.

Reckon when full squad is available Rico might be used a lot more this season hate to say it but it could be walkers last 1 with us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.