Pep’s new tactic - the 3-1-6 (or 3-1-3-3)

What Pep has done, as he developed his core group of players, is create numerous OPTIONS on how we are going to play…often utilizing multiple options (formations) in a game.

We see this especially when making subs, as we often don’t make a like for like substitution, but a tactical sub that changes the formation. This then causes the opposition to respond…and then Pep makes another sub that changes the formation again (sometimes back to what it was, just with different personnel!) and it leaves opposition players not knowing who to mark, where to cover, and now the players are different.

To me, this is a key reason Pep wants the players to be footballers first and positional players second. He needs to have the trust in you to be able to option yourself into the formation by playing a slightly different position in a slightly different way. It appears Rico understands these formations and shifts better than most, as Pep lauds him greatly for his head game. In fact, it’s why Bernardo is so, so important to the team. Not only is his technical ability supreme, but he can play about 8 positions on the park…most of them in the same game, if needed.

This is where the young talent has to “get it” or get moved on.

Players talk about football under Pep being simplified at the same time as it becomes revelatory to them. He opens their eyes to the field, the space, and their function within that space.

Over the last decade, we have watched ONE COACH completely change the way the game is played in England and completely change the requirements to be a goalkeeper in the game…amongst other less obvious things.

Wonderland is real, we are all living in it, and Pep is the Mad Hatter!

Last edited:
@Tricky_Trev Thanks for the videos!!

Another visual proof why Gundo on a free is a no brainer.

For Rico, I said some time back he can go the Phillipp Lahm route and last Sunday he already looked like prime Lahm. What a wonderful player, fighter and humble decent person. Incredible.

Last edited:
Thing I take from this isn’t Pep coming up with this stuff, its how he’s assembled players that can pick up these tactics and understand exactly what their positioning should be. Shows how important football intelligence is for players we buy over just ability.

I think every season Peps been at City he’s tweaked the tactics slightly but effectively. Imagine what’s going through his mind during his summer holidays? Must drive his Mrs mental, the freaky genius.

The only season his tactical tweak didn’t work was 19-20. But that was largely due to Kompany leaving not replacing him and an injury to Laporte.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.