Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
As if the team selection and formation weren't bad enough, his post match explanations were shocking. If we were so afraid of their pace and our lack of pace through the centre why pick that defence playing the high line? Why play your two fastest defenders as wing backs - and therefore further up the field when we're being countered? If pace was the biggest fear why not play Mendy and Cancelo as wing backs and play Walker in the back 3? Why play Garcia and Fernandinho in the back 3 of a high line when they both turn slower than milk?

If pace was the biggest fear why didn't we defend from the front and stop counters before they've even started as we did v Madrid? Why did our two hardest working players not get a single minute?

This shit has happened time and time again this season and just when you think we've finally nailed it v Madrid he picks a team and formation like that. It's absolutely inexcusable.

This is true, unfortunately.

If he was just led away, waving his arms about, & taken for a pint or a curry, whenever the defence was being coached, then a bog standard defensive coach trained them to operate with the 4 best defenders in a back 4, when he came back, half his problems would be miraculously solved.

You can see from the personnel he's using now & how they play, that Jonny Evans was most likely a serious target, not a joke. He's bigger, older Garcia.

Pep is looking for total control of central defence, to do his changing tactical bidding & play like a midfield, rather than noticing we need (preferably big) fast fuckers who know how to defend & can rescue us when our attacking play gets caught out, then pass it to our better players. His fixation with midfielder defenders is actually fucking up his whole attack, who have to compensate for it & are made nervous by the extra responsibility that we have to score at least twice. We actually dropped attackers, & played extra midfield plodders, in order to pick passing defenders.

We could also do with a supreme athlete in front of them, for protection, which in itself might give him the option of playing a shit cb who is good at passing the ball, in some games.

It's a perfect storm of shite & his thinking has basically gone mad.

But, Ake for example, is fast & very good 1v1, & good on the ball, so we have already improved there. Another similar one, who is also better aerially & we are starting to get to the point where we don't have to play offsides, to save ourselves from having to run.

I don`t think there is a bigger fan of Pep than myself.
Unfortunately Pep on this occasion you got the team selection completely wrong.
This isn`t a knee jerk reaction as most of us in my local said exactly the same.
How on earth can you leave not one but three playmakers on the bench !! We were crying out for a David,Bernardo and or Phil and yet you chose not to employ one on.
Dreadful team selection Pep and I sincerely hope you learn from this "bad day at the office".

no mate I thought we were certs to win . Lyon were just hugely over priced last night !!
As much as I love us the odds were wrong.

still wanted to smash my tv up when raz missed though

Good eye. That was honestly easy money for the price. Fair play for betting more than I did.

I was numb the whole game. Absolutely baffled the entire time. That’s all on Raz, but sadly expected it. The Laporte pass and then a goofy trip and below average shot stopping...don’t really believe in typical city but what the hell???

This is true, unfortunately.

If he was just led away, waving his arms about, & taken for a pint or a curry, whenever the defence was being coached, then a bog standard defensive coach trained them to operate with the 4 best defenders in a back 4, when he came back, half his problems would be miraculously solved.

You can see from the personnel he's using now & how they play, that Jonny Evans was most likely a serious target, not a joke. He's bigger, older Garcia.

Pep is looking for total control of central defence, to do his changing tactical bidding & play like a midfield, rather than noticing we need (preferably big) fast fuckers who know how to defend & can rescue us when our attacking play gets caught out, then pass it to our better players. His fixation with midfielder defenders is actually fucking up his whole attack, who have to compensate for it & are made nervous by the extra responsibility that we have to score at least twice. We actually dropped attackers, & played extra midfield plodders, in order to pick passing defenders.

We could also do with a supreme athlete in front of them, for protection, which in itself might give him the option of playing a shit cb who is good at passing the ball, in some games.

It's a perfect storm of shite & his thinking has basically gone mad.

But, Ake for example, is fast & very good 1v1, & good on the ball, so we have already improved there. Another similar one, who is also better aerially & we are starting to get to the point where we don't have to play offsides, to save ourselves from having to run.
We have the supreme athlete to play cm - he's called Bernardo Silva.

The qualities that we need at cb are the exact qualities that pep loves in Kyle Walker. I can't get my head around playing a back 3 because of a lack of pace but then playing your three slowest players there. England used Walker in that position a few times and he would have been ideal for mopping up at the back when we're turned and have 30 yards of open space between back line and keeper. The fact we also have two players perfect for the wing back role just shows how clouded his judgement was. He sat on that team selection for a few days and still decided it was the right thing to do. Insanity.

I don`t think there is a bigger fan of Pep than myself.
Unfortunately Pep on this occasion you got the team selection completely wrong.
This isn`t a knee jerk reaction as most of us in my local said exactly the same.
How on earth can you leave not one but three playmakers on the bench !! We were crying out for a David,Bernardo and or Phil and yet you chose not to employ one on.
Dreadful team selection Pep and I sincerely hope you learn from this "bad day at the office".

When he brought Mahrez on ahead of Foden and Bernardo that was the final kick in the balls.

Hope I’m proven wrong but I don’t think we are going to win the CL with him in charge. Same thing each season he’s been here but this one has got to top the others.

Starting to get big Bony / Manuel vibes. We can obviously see the entire set up was wrong, and a large part of that was the lack of legs in midfield. Despite that he continues to pick his favoured Gundogan and leaves the energy of Bernardo and Foden on the bench. Weird.

We have the supreme athlete to play cm - he's called Bernardo Silva.

The qualities that we need at cb are the exact qualities that pep loves in Kyle Walker. I can't get my head around playing a back 3 because of a lack of pace but then playing your three slowest players there. England used Walker in that position a few times and he would have been ideal for mopping up at the back when we're turned and have 30 yards of open space between back line and keeper. The fact we also have two players perfect for the wing back role just shows how clouded his judgement was. He sat on that team selection for a few days and still decided it was the right thing to do. Insanity.

I think his 'solution' was that Garcia was basically an old school sweeper, who was supposed to cover Laporte & Fern then step forward & pass the ball through. Which he did, until he didn't.

The desire from Pep isn’t there anymore this is why he said his 4th year in Barca was a mistake, his intense management style burns his desire and the teams desire out after around 3 seasons and that’s his shelf life. There is no doubting how great the football has been we have played under him but if he was to walk away tomorrow his time here would be deemed a failure unfortunately. Yes he’s won 2 league titles in amazing fashion but he’s been given the funds to achieve that as a minimum and obviously the domestic cups are a nice bonus too but the main thing he was brought in for was the Champs league and he has failed worse than I could ever of imagined.

The scary thought is that every single City fan looked at that team when it come out last night and knew we was in trouble from the get go every single city fan but pep? Do you think Bayern Munich would have changed their style and whole formation that they haven’t played all season to ‘adapt’ to Lyon? Would they fuck they’d play their way and say deal with this and make them change their set up to deal with Bayern. Lyon was already mentally 1 up when they will have seen he changed our full way of playing before a ball was kicked.

Pep has his loyal fan club and rightly so (I’ve never really been in it) just can’t warm to him as a person more than the football side he’s dug the fans out a few times in his time here about attendances etc but when his time is done here I understand why the majority will be devastated but there will be a manager out there better suited to us we just need to make sure we get it right!

In a weird way for me it’ll be refreshing when he leaves as for example I want to be signing a centre half because he can defend first and foremost then play well with his feet not the other way round. Peps system for 2/3 years is the best in world football but after that it’s a spent force. He’ll do next season and leave but I’m not expecting anything from it we look shot and uninspired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.