Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the big personalities have left - I mean the respected ones, not clowns like Mendy.
He wasn't the best player but Delph was one to look at with respect and want in the thick of things with you. Obviously Kompany and going back to Tevez and NDJ. We now have a team of very gifted individuals on their day but not when the going gets tough.
Tough school on here - Wasn't the run in last season tough enough for you?

Thought he got things pretty much spot on today. Slight tweak in the shape with Gundogan alongside Rodri and De Bruyne ahead of them, and I thought we outplayed them through the midfield. Sterling and Silva did a decent job of occupying the fullbacks - Robertson made one telling contribution with a great cross, otherwise the two of them posed no threat. Only questionable decision perhaps was Angelino, which didn't really pay off. And he perhaps could have changed things sooner in the second half.
Though Angelino was alright nearly scored and was involved in the goal he was certainly better than walker. Practically every team in the league and in Europe outplay Liverpool's midfield as this is how their system intends it to be. Gundog was poor and should have been hooked after the third and replaced by Fodden or Marhez. You are right Sterling was good and had an excellent second half and led the comeback.

How do you know all these things were the right things to do? Is he being stubborn because he doesn't know what to do or because he knows what to but somehow prefers not to do it?

Again, he's stubborn because he's sticking with the same things that have failed numerous times.

You can talk about bygone times as much as you want but that doesn't address what's happening this season.

Have you heard about Dunning-Kruger?

No and I don't care; I've seen the term used enough to know it gets bandied about by people who have either studied A level psychology for two weeks and/ or want to pretend they're intelligent during internet debates.

Again, he's stubborn because he's sticking with the same things that have failed numerous times.

You can talk about bygone times as much as you want but that doesn't address what's happening this season.

No and I don't care; I've seen the term used enough to know it gets bandied about by people who have either studied A level psychology for two weeks and/ or want to pretend they're intelligent during internet debates.

Let me sum it up for you: The best manager in the world can't understand that he makes a mistake and repeats it again and again but Tugay from the internet who has never mananged even a school team can understand that it is a mistake and is angry at the manager that he is being stubborn. This is a clasic example of Duning-Kruger: foolls don't understand their limitations and think they know better.

Let me sum it up for you: The best manager in the world can't understand that he makes a mistake and repeats it again and again but Tugay from the internet who has never mananged even a school team can understand that it is a mistake and is angry at the manager that he is being stubborn. This is a clasic example of Duning-Kruger: foolls don't understand their limitations and think they know better.

It's not at all, it's sometimes hard to realise you are making mistakes and takes others to recognise it.

It's pretty clear to see that as brilliant as Guardiola is, he does have flaws in his approach.

It's not at all, it's sometimes hard to realise you are making mistakes and takes others to recognise it.

It's pretty clear to see that as brilliant as Guardiola is, he does have flaws in his approach.

Any approach has flaws, but strengths and weaknesses are often closely linked and it's not like you can preserve the strengths and remove the weaknesses. Also, it's not easy to spot the weaknesses when you have never managed a team. Pep works with other people and discusses tactics, weaknesses, decisions, etc. with them. To think he isn't open to any suggestions and has a tunnel vision or something like that is to overestimate one's intelligence and underestimate his and also that of the people he is working with. Generally, the problems a manager has to solve are much more complex than fans realise. Fans tend to reduce the complexity of the problems to whether to use one or another player and don't know all the intricacies regarding the tactics, the fitness of the players, their personal problems, their experience, etc.

If X plays and we lose, then it wouldn't be any worse to play Y, the fan reasons, even if Y is 18 y.o. and has no experience at that level. That's a stupid way of thinking.

Last edited:
Yes and some are more detrimental than others, such as a refusal to make changes when things are not working.

Pep told them at half-time that they were playing well and were unlucky to be 2 goals down. We created enough chances, finishing was poor, not the ability to create. And Aguero was subbed for he wasn't taking his chances. You seem to underestimate Pep's judgement and overestimate your judgement. Have you thought about this possibility? Or you are absolutely certain that he made a mistake and you are right?

Though Angelino was alright nearly scored and was involved in the goal he was certainly better than walker. Practically every team in the league and in Europe outplay Liverpool's midfield as this is how their system intends it to be. Gundog was poor and should have been hooked after the third and replaced by Fodden or Marhez. You are right Sterling was good and had an excellent second half and led the comeback.
Take your point on Liverpool not really playing football through midfield, but disagree that we usually outplay them (as I understand it) there. In a majority of our recent games at anfield, our midfield has been bullied all over the shop, which didn’t happen yesterday.
On Angelino - he’s obviously a good footballer, tidier than Mendy on the ball, and plenty of potential. Thought he did fine going forward. But ultimately he should have done better on all three goals. Of course, whether Mendy would have done any better is hard to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.