Pep Guardiola - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the extra CL games we need a bigger squad
As I mentioned above, we don’t need a bigger squad, just better and certainly more dependable players. We should also be accepting that certain players (Stones/Ake) are unlikely ever to play more than 3,000 minutes. Similarly, this will be the first time since 18-19 that de Bruyne has played below 3,000 minutes, so there can be no guarantee that he will come back stronger and as dependable. The number of dependable players within the squad next season needs to be bigger.

As I mentioned above, we don’t need a bigger squad, just better and certainly more dependable players. We should also be accepting that certain players (Stones/Ake) are unlikely ever to play more than 3,000 minutes. Similarly, this will be the first time since 18-19 that de Bruyne has played below 3,000 minutes, so there can be no guarantee that he will come back stronger and as dependable. The number of dependable players within the squad next season needs to be bigger.
But you can’t advocate for injuries, if Haaland is out for a long period we only have Alvarez, KDB will be not be first choice next year I think Foden will be ahead of him anyway.

But you can’t advocate for injuries, if Haaland is out for a long period we only have Alvarez, KDB will be not be first choice next year I think Foden will be ahead of him anyway.
I think you can allocate for injuries. Last season was unique in that we had a crop of players who were all at or reaching their peak, helped through with a sprinkling of youngsters. To have so many go through unscathed was quite an achievement, yet that is simply unsustainable (physically and psychologically) every year. With the Euros and Copa America, we can assume that there will be injuries again next season.

The Foden/de Bruyne question is an interesting one, but I’m unconvinced that it is an either/or. Foden comes inside and gets goals, which everyone enjoys, but de Bruyne has 14 assists in 1,130 minutes and Foden has 10 in 3,680, the vast majority of which came when he played wide. Getting the maximum from both is the challenge Guardiola faces.

I think you can allocate for injuries. Last season was unique in that we had a crop of players who were all at or reaching their peak, helped through with a sprinkling of youngsters. To have so many go through unscathed was quite an achievement, yet that is simply unsustainable (physically and psychologically) every year. With the Euros and Copa America, we can assume that there will be injuries again next season.

The Foden/de Bruyne question is an interesting one, but I’m unconvinced that it is an either/or. Foden comes inside and gets goals, which everyone enjoys, but de Bruyne has 14 assists in 1,130 minutes and Foden has 10 in 3,680, the vast majority of which came when he played wide. Getting the maximum from both is the challenge Guardiola faces.
I think Foden would have more if he played central more, if anything I’d play KDB more in the right, let him get those crosses in to Haaland he can track back but has the back up if a right back as well, I don’t think he can get up and down the middle to support Rodri as much as Foden could. I do think Doku will be used more on the right as that’s where Pep ultimately sees him.

I think Foden would have more if he played central more, if anything I’d play KDB more in the right, let him get those crosses in to Haaland he can track back but has the back up if a right back as well, I don’t think he can get up and down the middle to support Rodri as much as Foden could. I do think Doku will be used more on the right as that’s where Pep ultimately sees him.
I'm not sure Foden would have as many assists playing centrally, especially when faced with the masked ranks. In recent weeks, we've started to see greater fluidity in players than we have done before, with Foden/Doku/Bernardo/de Bruyne/Alvarez all shifting across the line during games; such a change from previous seasons and clearly something Guardiola has been planning. The only constants have been Grealish/Haaland/Rodri. If anything, I think that will be the way we continue to evolve next year, so the protests about 'playing somebody in his best position' might become old hat.

I don’t envy the situation - attracting the quality of players we want but perhaps not being able to guarantee the playing time they’re looking for given then absolute quality of the squad (if they’re playing behind Rodri for example). Add to that some settling in time.

I think the defense rotation has worked decently this year from a playing time standpoint - you’ve got seven flexible players for four spots. But that’s harder in other positions. And I think some would complain there has been defensive instability due to the lack of a set back four.

I don’t envy the situation - attracting the quality of players we want but perhaps not being able to guarantee the playing time they’re looking for given then absolute quality of the squad (if they’re playing behind Rodri for example). Add to that some settling in time.

I think the defense rotation has worked decently this year from a playing time standpoint - you’ve got seven flexible players for four spots. But that’s harder in other positions. And I think some would complain there has been defensive instability due to the lack of a set back four.
That’s why we will fail to attract a world class replacement for Rodri, they won’t want to sit on the bench, maybe someone who is in the twilight of their career who would be happy with a decent wage but not loads of game time.

That’s why we will fail to attract a world class replacement for Rodri, they won’t want to sit on the bench, maybe someone who is in the twilight of their career who would be happy with a decent wage but not loads of game time.
We'll be able to attract Neves and either play him behind or even ahead of Rodri. We'd also be able to use him instead of Rodri if we have someone the likes of Paqueta/Bernardo/Kovacic aside him. As I mentioned above, I expect to see the roles of players adapt, which can happen as long as we identify the correct types of player. There's also no reason why Rodri cannot drop into the back line in certain games and play 'the Stones role'.

You can't adorate for injuries that's very true but also you have to be realistic and sensible, we have several players in our squad that are injury prone and have been for a majority of their careers.

Stones, Ake, Kovacic,Doku ,KDB and to an extent Haaland are all examples of this.

That's a big part of a small squad and that needs sorting either in a bigger squad or sacrificing some of the players who suffer constant injuries.

Needs to tweak things next season to speed us up a bit. Think that may have been an intention this season when bringing in ball carriers but just not worked out as well as maybe hoped. Testament to his quality and the qualities he instills in players that we're where we are this season with one of our weakest squads under him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.