Pep Guardiola - 2023/24

Both Newcastle goals were great strikes, it's telling you are resorting to such examples.

No example vs our direct rivals, Arsenal and Liverpool, though...
Great strikes that Walker should have stopped them taking and would have done in previous seasons Anyway Kyle Ill leave it here as this was supposed to be about Pep

Ake more mistakes than Walker really
Players vote for the senior player as Captain IMHO I dont think he is a good choice
Ake has not made more mistakes than Walker, just a fact. But it's not the back 4 that's been the big problem. It's how we keep setting up in front of them. Rodri has been left on his own more than once in big games this season. Bernardo is clearly better out wide on the right these days than in the "Gundo" role. Foden can do it very effectively, albeit differently, and that's been proven time and time again this season. Kovacic has been rock solid overall supporting Rodri. Alvarez did a good job when KDB was out, but when he's asked to play anywhere else on the pitch aside from as a 9 or as a second striker it just doesn't work. With KDB playing basically as second striker himself now Rodri needs better in support than Alvarez. Either Kovacic due to his excellent technical ability or Foden due to the fact that he's so good on the ball and forces the opponent into a much greater defensive posture. If Pep keeps playing Alvarez in the midfield or on the wing in any remaining critical games we will not win anything, simple as. Pep being the greatest club manager perhaps ever notwithstanding, I am praying he doesn't choose this hill to die on. IMO we are still the best squad in Europe and I see no reason why we can't win the league, the CL, or both in the next few months.

Last edited:
The backroom changes this year mean there is no one to correct the many voices that bounce around in peps head.
Yet here he is, still in every important competition and on course for another exceptional season.

I suppose he could watch games on a potato like your good self and figure out all the issues you manage to see on a weekly basis.

Yet here he is, still in every important competition and on course for another exceptional season.

I suppose he could watch games on a potato like your good self and figure out all the issues you manage to see on a weekly basis.

Some people have this insane expectation just because we did treble last season then it will be a norm to do treble every fucking season from now on.

Are they just plain insane or what?

Some people have this insane expectation just because we did treble last season then it will be a norm to do treble every fucking season from now on.

Are they just plain insane or what?
I had a look at our form from January 1st till mid-March last year, and we're actually doing a lot better. We've conceded just 12 goals in our last 18 games, are on a 21 game unbeaten run, and have scored at well over 2.5 goals a game in that time.

We had that crazy month or so in the Spring of last year, where we crushed Liverpool, Bayern, Arsenal and Real Madrid, and I think those memories are clouding a lot of people's judgement of this year.

Wish he'd just go all in on Foden. Now De Bruyne is back (was back) Foden gets punted to the wings. Play him in the middle WITH De Bruyne.
then who will come deep to help Rodri as an 8? Kev or Phil? neither of them can defend as a holding midfielder like Gundo Bernado or Kova do.

shall we just accept that kev and phil are two world class players in the same no 10 role? let them have a competition like all other players in this team to keep them fresh. currently pep is running both of them down.

Same goes for Halaand vs Alvarez.

Ake has not made more mistakes than Walker, just a fact. But it's not the back 4 that's been the big problem. It's how we keep setting up in front of them. Rodri has been left on his own more than once in big games this season. Bernardo is clearly better out wide on the right these days than in the "Gundo" role. Foden can do it very effectively, albeit differently, and that's been proven time and time again this season. Kovacic has been rock solid overall supporting Rodri. Alvarez did a good job when KDB was out, but when he's asked to play anywhere else on the pitch aside from as a 9 or as a second striker it just doesn't work. With KDB playing basically as second striker himself now Rodri needs better in support than Alvarez. Either Kovacic due to his excellent technical ability or Foden due to the fact that he's so good on the ball and forces the opponent into a much greater defensive posture. If Pep keeps playing Alvarez in the midfield or on the wing in any remaining critical games we will not win anything, simple as. Pep being the greatest club manager perhaps ever notwithstanding, I am praying he doesn't choose this hill to die on. IMO we are still the best squad in Europe and I see no reason why we can't win the league, the CL, or both in the next few months.
Agree. The midfield for me was a big problem in the Liverpool game.

then who will come deep to help Rodri as an 8? Kev or Phil? neither of them can defend as a holding midfielder like Gundo Bernado or Kova do.

shall we just accept that kev and phil are two world class players in the same no 10 role? let them have a competition like all other players in this team to keep them fresh. currently pep is running both of them down.

Same goes for Halaand vs Alvarez.
We have Stones pushing in next to Rodri. If we deploy the box midfield like last season, Foden should be Gundogans replacement.

Currently Alvarez gets the role. Does he drop deep and help? It makes no sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.