Pep's contract situation

Pep came in, we started with a bang - but it's clear we are going backwards. Whereas you could tell what Liverpool were building towards.

I am just not really clear on what the plan with the team is at the moment, we lack any urgency and it all just feels quite stale.

I said this yesterday. Its like we have hit a brick wall. Maybe im over thinking things but Peps body language in interviews at the moment isnt great and there doesnt seem to be the same togetherness. Although i do get that the current situation with covid isnt great especially for Pep losing someone close.

Pep came in, we started with a bang
I think you must have forgotten what happened when "Pep came in", because we were rather fortunate to qualify for the CL that season is my recollection, only securing the place on the final day, though we did finish the season well after drawing with soon to be relegated middlesbrough with 5 games to go.

I think Pep has a cycle for a reason. He is a highly strung guy and I think after a few seasons he burns himself out. I don't think he will sign and I can see a sabbatical on the horizon for him for a year and then he will see out his managerial days in Spain with Barca and then maybe the Spain national team. He has had a lot to deal with and it's showing.

Watch the Amazon documentary back and look at how happy everyone looked back then. It’s all very depressing at City at the moment, from the manager downwards. I don’t see the same togetherness.
I think Vinny was the glue that held them together. We need someone else to step up to the plate.

With the contract situation the longer we drag it out the more it’ll affect the players. Unless they know already. If he’s going that could explain some of the brain farts this season. Players grieving etc.

Well if Pep's going to pick team like that and manage a game like that answer is hopefully no.
Rabbit in a cars headlights type stuff.
He looks like he's done to me.
Worse than Everton away in his first season.

I don't see a point in him signing/extending new contract. In my view, all top managers are one-trick ponies and as soon as the trick stops, they walk. And right now, that trick became self-delusion. The system that he created made us one of the most beautiful and ruthless sides in the history of modern English football. But it also gradually corroded and then destroyed the ability of our players to think for themselves and outside that system. And once our system is breached we just end up collapsing like a wet, smelly beach towel.

I just get the impression his influence on the players is starting to wane and there are the first stirrings of discontent behind the scenes. Perhaps not so much discontent but a bit of meh, they've heard it all before and it's not having the same galvanising effect? He's so intense, must be difficult to keep the pace up.
Defensively, we are not in good shape.

I think he may be done as well. To say that we need a change is not to ignore his previous brilliance or pay enough respect to what he achieved here. Nothing lasts forever and there is a palpable sense that things have gone stale at the club. As others have observed, there is never a Plan B with him. Other teams have cottoned on to us and we have not kept moving forward. The Lyon debacle typified it all for me.

During Mancini time, City was hard to beat many times we didn't lose by more than 1 goal margin.

Even during those 2 season CL, city never lost a game at home.

Quiet poor away but a fortress at home

It says a lot when we find hard to offload players, Otamendi and co not many teams want them

What he's achieved at City is remarkable. I know we haven't won the CL but between 2017-2019 we had more success than any other club has had domestically in a short space of time, you cannot take that away from him.

But managers have cycles with squads. Still love the guy, and life after Pep is obviously not going to be as successful but it just feels all a bit flat and all a bit inevitable at the moment. Without sounding too extreme, yesterday felt a lot like Leicester at home in 2016 when they won the title in that with Pellers the writing was on the wall. I am not comparing them two as managers, I just think that it was clear in 2016 that MP had taken us as far as we could go under him.

I do not see City starting with him as manager next season and I think if we're well off the pace by the November international break then he might even be gone by Christmas. 33/1 for him to be the next manager to go is unbelievable odds I reckon. I don't think he'd leave his mates in the shit and just walk tomorrow but you can't see it being far off. Which is a shame because overall he's been magnificent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.