Pep's contract situation

If Pep is to stay at City I think there are two key factors.

1) Pep is in complete control of everything he wants to be. At both Barcelona and Bayern boardroom politics soured some of the success he had at both clubs. Does he want to risk going back to Barcelona or a new project where the same toxicity appears? He will never have better conditions to execute his ideas than he does right now.

2) The Premier League. The big 6. Leicester & Wolves. Newcastle. He's not going to get bored anytime soon. Chelsea in his first season and Liverpool this season have bettered him. If it was all too easy he'd easily move on. But it's still proving to be a challenge, and much more varied than he's going to get anywhere else.

I bet he loves it here. I would be surprised if he moves on.

Exactly, I would be surprised as well.

The challenge is the greatest in the premier league. That’s why all the best managers and players are drawn here.

In terms of managers the gap in quality is the largest from all the other top leagues. You could even argue that England has more top managers than Spain, France, Germany and Italy have combined.

The structure at our club is perfect for Pep. He’s working with friends in high positions for a forward thinking club that has a clear plan and the means needed to achieve it.

Looking at the other options.

France is a farmer’s league. Tuchel is leading PSG, where he can even rest stars every week and still comfortably win. Judged only on the Champions League. Not an option.

Italy-Juve dominance, Inter has Conte who will likely stay. The other clubs like Lazio and Milan have no money and are bound to challenge for top 4 at best. Lazio is doing something amazing this season but it will be a shock if they keep their best players and challenge again. Again only judged on the Champions League.

Germany- Bayern dominance, can’t see him going back. Problems with the board, player power is another issue. Again a failure unless you win the Champions League.

Spain- Barcelona? What many think is the most likely option for Pep. Looking at how bad they’re run now explains why Pep left in the first place. The club lack any clear plan and are living off of Messi. Sometimes we get it wrong in the transfer market but Barca recently are masters at throwing big money at players they don’t need, don’t fit or just flop. Coutinho €140m, Dembele €120m, even Griezmann at €120m is questionable. Just now in the winter they bought Braithwaite for €18m, shocking move. Before that Malcom €40m, Andre Gomes €37m, Paco Alcacer €30m. A lot of questionable moves.

They haven’t had a good transfer market in years. De Jong and Arthur are the only good signing they’ve made in a while. Frenkie is pure class though.

They’re in for a massive rebuild. Messi is 33 years old in a month. Pique is 33, Alba 31, Busquets 31, Suarez 33. Even Griezmann is 29. Then they have squad players Vidal 32, Rakitic 33.

Pep could honestly could ruin his legacy by going back there.

He has the conditions needed to stay. If he does step down, I could see him doing so only to take another sabbatical or manage a national team. Both seem unlikely right now imo. Too young to take over a national team. No need for a sabbatical as he doesn’t seem overly stressed, tired or lacking motivation to continue.

The challenge Liverpool have brought especially has ignited a fire in him.

I think he extends again.

Last edited:
As unfortunate as it is, it's the nature of the beast.

KDB, Bernardo and Estiarte are simply letting suitors now that they may be interested should our ban stand I suspect, keeping their options open, it's the nature of football. I fully expect the club to overturn it and then we'll see these stories go away (until contract negotiations are due anyway) even if it transpires to be just a one year ban we should be fine.

Guardiola is mentioned in the Andy Capp cartoon in the Mirror, 19 May. Andy complaining his football coach has as many rules as Pep does. Is this a sign Pep has finally made it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.