Pep's Formations for 2016/17

BlueMoonz1977

Don’t normally create any threads but I was intrigued as to how Pep would be setting us up to play next summer, and did a little digging whilst bored in work on his formations and how his squad is utilised in different positions.

I think the amount of tactical awareness that Pep is actually going to bring to our club will be welcomed and the players that he will be targeting once his arrival is cemented in the summer.

The major factor that is going to dictate the direction that will be approached towards summer signings, will be the formations that Pep utilises on different occasions. These formation changes can be dependent upon 2 factors.

1. The style the opposition plays geared towards their own strengths

2. Any injuries to our own squad.
Now if you do some research you will see that during Pep’s time at Bayern he has setup the team to play in around 9 different formations throughout the course of the Bundesliga season. Maybe more but these are the ones that I have managed to find.

4-3-3

------------------------------Neuer-------------------------------

Lahm-----------Boateng-----------Alaba-------------Bernat

Vidal-----------------------Alonso----------------------Thiago

Douglas Costa----------Muller------------------Gotze----

4-2-3-1

----------------------------Neuer---------------------------------

Lahm---------Martinez----------Alaba-----------Rafinha

------------------Alonso----------Thiago-----------------------

Coman------------------Muller---------------Douglas Costa

-----------------------Lewandovski--------------------------

4-2-2-2

---------------------------Neuer---------------------------------

Lahm--------Boateng----------Badstuber-----------Alaba

---------------------Rode-------Shaqiri------------------------

--------------------Alonso------Gotze-------------------------

--------------------Muller------Lewandovski-----------------

4-1-4-1

-------------------------------Neuer----------------------------

Lahm------------Boateng-----------Alaba----------Bernat

-------------------------------Alonso---------------------------

---Muller--------Thiago--------------Vidal----Douglas Costa

----------------------------Lewandovski------------------------

4-1-2-1-2

-------------------------------Neuer---------------------------

Rafinha----------Bernatia---------Dante---------Bernat

-------------------------------Alonso--------------------------

---------------------Lahm--------------Alaba----------------

-------------------------------Gotze----------------------------

---------------Lewandovski---------Muller-----------------

4-1-3-2

------------------------------Neuer-----------------------------

Rafinha--------Boateng-----------Dante----------Bernat

------------------------------Alonso----------------------------

Gotze---------------------Robben------------------Ribery

-----------------Muller---------------Lewandovski---------

3-5-2

-----------------------------Neuer--------------------------------

Rafinha------------------Boateng----------------------Alaba

Robben-------Lahm-----Gotze-----Alonso--------Bernat

--------------------Muller------------Lewandovski-------------

3-4-3

----------------------------Neuer--------------------------------

Benatia-----------------Dante-----------------------Alaba

Rafinha------------Lahm--------Alonso---------Bernat

--Robben------------Lewandovski------------Shaqiri—

3-4-1-2

--------------------------Neuer-----------------------------

Lahm-------------------Dante--------------Badstuber

Robben-------Gaudino------Alaba---------Bernat

---------------------------Gotze--------------------------

--------------Muller----------------Lewandovski--------

3-1-2-1-3

----------------------------Neuer-----------------------------

Boateng----------------Martinez------------------Alaba

----------------------------Alonso----------------------------

------------------Lahm----------------Thiago---------------

-----------------------------Muller---------------------------

-------------Gotze------Lewandovski---------D.Costa

As you can see from the above there are some extreme formations in those 9, and we cannot be sure that Pep will utilise all of these in the Premiership. But this will be down to the players at his disposal. These formations have worked because not least that the Bayern players have bought into the style and tactical approach of Pep, but that Pep has recognised that these players can play a variety of positions on the pitch and can fulfil his instructions at the same time.

We are going to see some of these formations (if not all) during his management of our club, what we have to ask is who at this present time will be able to carry these formations and tactics out.

Here is a link to a piece written by Varun Madhavan on one formation that pep used 2-3-5. It gives an insight as to how it works and what Pep expects from its use.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/tactical-analysis-pep-guardiolas-2-3-5-at-bayern-munich

Looking at our current squad and the formations above, who can we see being able to fit this. For me the following are safe and I can see playing in the way that Pep would want:

Hart
Kompany
Otamendi/Mangala – (depends on who Pep feels has the best ability)
Fernandinho
Silva
Sterling
De Bruyne
Iheanacho
Aguero
(I have not included any of the EDS lads because we know some will be brought through anyway by Pep)

We are definitely going to need a LB and RB with the exception of bringing in Angelino from the EDS for cover plus the fact he can actually play in midfield which makes him very important and in the same mould of Alaba who can play both defence and midfield. As we can see from the above formations Lahm and Alaba are utilised in a variety of roles and positions – something Kolarov and Sagna for me cannot fulfil because of age and lack of ability. Zabba may be able to but again age is against him but may be kept on for cover for the first choice RB next season.

We are going to need a midfield powerhouse, Yaya for me will probably not stay past this summer, and the alternative candidate who stands out is Pogba, young, energetic and a box to box player who can both create and score.

The problem we have with Fernandinho at the moment is that he is a box to box midfielder, but this season especially we have seen very little of that being done by him. Very rare have we seen him bursting the midfield opposition ranks, or getting into a goal scoring position. Because of the defensive frailties this season we are more accustomed to seeing fernan playing as an out and out DM, which for me is a waste of his actual talents. Maybe this is something Pep will rectify come the summer.

What Pep asks for all the time is that his players make themselves available for the pass at all times, if you watch our games of late you can notice the lack of movement into the spaces to receive the pass especially any movement between the defence line and midfield line. This has resulted in a stagnant play which creates very little in terms of breaking teams down.

Just thought I would kick off a little debate in terms of the actual formations that Pep is known for using and who we think can be kept for this style of play.

I think it is safe to assume that Pep will not target any of the Bayern players, as he did with Barcelona when he left them. I also think that we have to understand that Pep will not get a full summer training to get the squad totally ready, due to the European championships coinciding with him taking charge, so it could take a little longer to get the squad playing the way he wants

What are everyone else’s thought’s ?

I think as far as the prep goes it will be interesting to see what the fixture list is. Do we get the first three away games at the teams that finished in the top six? If we get a reasonable set of early fixtures it might just be the breathing space he might need.

Our argies will be at the Copa America Centenary Games and are always late back which is a pain,hopefully the whole squad will be gagging to get back from the various tournaments,it's the olympics as well so maybe a few of the EDS will be there,not a great start for pep

I think as far as the prep goes it will be interesting to see what the fixture list is. Do we get the first three away games at the teams that finished in the top six? If we get a reasonable set of early fixtures it might just be the breathing space he might need.

That's a good point. No doubt the powers that be will ensure the fixture list is (cough) transparent and we end up royally shafted

It will be a later start to the league next season always is. I think with the preseason will always have the young guys there and showcasing what they can do to Pep. Also feel the African Nations lads might well find that they may well be moved on. With Pep I think the football is going to be like MP but with a proper defensive setup too. The likes of Sterling and KDB will come on and get better and better with him. The likes of Fernando to some extent will look better than he has been while at the club with a better team unit at the go next year will be good and be a huge test for Pep to get things right and in his way.

think it will be great to finally have the best forward thinking manager in charge come next season. One that lives and breaths football to the extent that he will do his homework on the opposition so we can exploit their weaknesses.

Excellent research & very interesting article. It'll be nice to see one or two inventive formations & tactics alike. As much as I respect MP his faith in one system has turned into blind faith & a lack of fluidity across the board.

I really like the idea of playing 3 - 5 - 2. I think if it's done correctly it would really help us dominate games plus I think we've got the perfect players for the formation.

I would love to start off next season with something like this

............................Hart........................

.....Stones......Kompany.....Otamendi...

Zabaleta............................................Alaba

........................Gundogan...........................

..............Fernandinho.....Silva....................

..............................Kdb.................................
............................Aguero.............................

This discussion is pretty pointless.

“Guardiola has no time for these schematics and dismisses them as ‘lists of telephone numbers’. One of his mentors, Juanma Lillo goes further: ‘You’ll never see players in those positions, not even when they first come out onto the pitch.’

I really like the idea of playing 3 - 5 - 2. I think if it's done correctly it would really help us dominate games plus I think we've got the perfect players for the formation.

I would love to start off next season with something like this

............................Hart........................

.....Stones......Kompany.....Otamendi...

Zabaleta............................................Alaba

........................Gundogan...........................

..............Fernandinho.....Silva....................

..............................Kdb.................................
............................Aguero.............................
I don't think there's any chance alaba comes here any time soon

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.