Pep's new approach

As soon as we start taking our chances properly we’ll be fucking unstoppable
This.

We look as good as a defensive unit as I can ever remember. In 18/19 we were god defensively but mainly because the other team never had the ball and we pressed so high.

We’re giving teams a little more possession these days but giving ourselves the option of a counter attack.

If we can find a clinical centre forward to gobble up our chances we are in serious business.

As soon as we start taking our chances properly we’ll be fucking unstoppable
I'm sorry to say it but I think the biggest culprit and the biggest failure at the moment is Raheem Sterling, when he gets in good positions he seems to either run into people , fall over or lose possession giving the opponent's a chance to break.
I just feel we could do with someone in that position who could turn those opportunities into goals.

The occasional brain fart in defence is what cost is in Europe every season. You can’t make mistakes at that level in the latter stages you always get punished. I honestly believe we would of won the CL in 18/19 if it wasn’t for silly mistakes in that Spurs game
What?
In the first leg Aguero missed a penalty .
2nd leg they had a clear hand given as a goal and then City given offside 10 seconds from the end

We have been praising our defensive pairing of Stones and Dias a lot (rightly so), but I think the main reason for this change is Pep. After the Laporte mistake vs spurs, He got pissed of heavily and started pressing on clean sheets a fuck a lot.

Benching Laporte and saying in the press conferences multiple times that "Make a mistake and you are out" drilled home the message. We were giving away lot of stupid penalties and goals which seems to have dried these days completely. It feels like the defenders have a no-nonsense approach these days. If the opponent wants to score vs us they should be using their skill and break us down, we should not be gifting them. Pretty sure Pep drilled this home.

Said, this in the post-match thread, worth quoting again as relevant here I think--
'Credit to Pep. He took a gamble and worked on the defence at a sacrifice to forward play (injuries aside) and look how Stones emerged and Dias became the fuckin man. We took a few hits with this switch of focus, a dip, and we all felt it, but now we are on that upward curve and its a fuckin joy to watch once again. Top work Pep, I squirmed but never doubted you.'

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.