Pep's Press Conferences - Watford (A) Post Match (Page 129)

I thought the EXACT opposite.

I thought he actually gets it today. And he wasn't afraid to get his point across. I suspect he came to England thinking, with the best will in the world, that the English game was different stylistically but ultimately decent and fair. I think he's realised a while ago that that is bollovks and we have one of the most institutionally racist and corrupt professional sports leagues anywhere in the world.

Days like today tell me he actually is here for the term because he cares and ive thought the opposite recently. Until today in fact.

It was great to see him so angry and combative. He will I'm sure convert this anger into a siege mentality with the squad.

I can't wait to stick it down these bastards throats. They can't wait to suggest Pep has been bested by geniuses such as Pulis/Dyche/Bruce.

I was proud of him today.

quite agree mate, think he has had enough of the constant snide digs, the constant of highlighting anything perceived negatives about our club, think we are going to see a different pep from here on in

I think the main problem lies with the fact peps whole philosophy on football is based on playing out from the back. The amount of training they must do with the defence having the ball, playing it out and midfield/forwards knowing their role when the defence are playing it out. Our problem is that or defence aren't good enough at football to base our whole tactical system around.

Only bemusement or rather shock he is under is how corrupt the football is here with FA + media + referees controlling how select teams get the decisions regarding yellow/red cards or fouls. With the select teams still not performing up to expectations to maintain worldwide ratings and fan-base for revenue streams to continue flowing they have extended the calls to allow offisde goals for some of these teams.

Short term this farce will work but eventually PL will lose all credibility and will become one of those reality shows/competitions where everyone knows who the winner would be before any game is played.

You mean like the German, French and Spanish leagues?

Watched the post game press conference in full, not that any of the media outlets have picked up on it but it wasn't that much shorter than most, and he actually said quite a bit.

Anyone else pick up on Pep's response to begin asked a 'football' question? He seemed astounded that an English journo wanted to ask him about football rather than the referee, a players personal habits or some juicy gossip. What a sad state of affairs it is. I, like many others, am genuinely interested in hearing Pep's ideas, his philosophy, his thinking. Instead we miss out because the press are far more interested in sound bytes and stirring up crap. You literally have to wait for the Spanish press to get their allotted two questions maximum, before you get an intelligent question and response.

I fear Pep will get disillusioned sooner rather than later with the role of a Premier League manager purely because the coaching aspect of it is nowadays not even secondary. He wants to coach players a certain philosophy, and gets joy from seeing the football flow, not from answering daft questions or being baited into fines. That said, I also think he won't walk away from us without bringing success.

And anyone who thinks that the Premier League don't see themselves as special and on another level, and actually damaging our own game and reputation because of it, should consider the performance of the England team at the Euros and World Cups. We expect special treatment because we do play by our own rules. The glaring example to me was always Peter Crouch when he pulled on an England jersey - his gangly, elbow led charges on the keeper were never put up with on the International scene and he more often than not failed to make any impact other than gifting free kicks to the opposition. Another example is the treatment the FA give to English internationals - Rio Ferdinand, Steven Gerrard, John Terry, Alan Shearer, all excused at various points for unidentified reasons from very questionable actions.

We are the English Premier League and we are special, just look at how much money we bring in and how many people watch our league, so stop speaking of a hidden agenda and go and place your bets with one of our official sponsors, there's a good supporter.

"We expect special treatment because we do play by our own rules"

Good post that, and I agree with a lot, but if what you say about English / Prem league style being out of sync with rest of the world, and Crouch etc being shown up at international level were true, why is it that English referees are so feted at international level, and have had so many of the big games in recent years? (or maybe it just seems that way). Surely if we did play by our own (interpretation) of the rules, our refs wouldnt be getting those jobs?

I haven't really found time to watch Pep's interviews much this year so don't know if this has been building up but is this a clash of what he expects the press to ask vs. the British press culture? They always ask about the red, Pep said he didn't see it in the post-match but in the tunnel wouldn't give the guy the time of day with it, though he seemed to be venting frustrations about the press getting on Bravo's back. It's what they do to sell papers and the football press here are generally complete dullards. Fernandinho was a red, the high accumulation of reds this season are due to idiotic instances we don't usually have (Sergio, and Nolito's). I presume he's pissed off as the rags have got away with two footed tackles (e.g. Rojo) but that is normal inconsistency to be expected here and there (plus it's the rags). I just don't see any difference in reporter questions to warrant issue and fuel the responses on this thread about making it us vs. them. Pep's not the first to insinuate there are different rules for City, Kompany has talked bluntly about the governing bodies several times in the past but I haven't felt there's been an issue recently. Maybe it's frustration coming out that several of the players aren't able to play the football/tactics he wants reliably. Or maybe his system isn't slotting into the league's style here quite how he expected.

It's not the first time Pep has talked about the supporters needing to do more (I think it's at least the 3rd if you include him talking about CL attendance) - 1) I doubt he has any clue about the issues behind this, not at all helped by the club. 2) When compared to the league as a whole, he surely can't think we're behind others in this respect? Especially aways. 3) I know a lot of German teams have good atmosphere helped by the obvious differences, but compared to Barca especially and Bayern is it really at the point he needs to address it more than a couple times? I just sense disappointment in his voice when he talks about the fans but I doubt he's thought about why this is considering he's a newcomer to the league.

He's frustrated because he is clearly seeing the referees and media judge City differently to other teams. Referees are supposed to be impartial but there are far to many instances this season where they have tried to screw us over.

Nolito gets banned for a petulant slight headbutt. Fabregas gets away with slapping Fernandinho in the face.

Aguero gets a retrospective ban against West Ham. Vertonghan and Ibrahimovic both escape retrospective action for violent conduct.

The referees choose when to apply the laws of the game. Look at the statistics over the last 3 seasons. Our foul to yellow card ratio compared to our opponents is staggering.

Lee Mason can happily allow help from the 4th official to send off Fernandinho, but Anthony Taylor cannot wait to dismiss Aguero's claim for a foul when Luiz should have been sent off.

We put a dominant 2nd half performance in against Arsenal and the media focus on the legitimacy is the goals, whereas United score two offside goals which were far more blatant than ours and the media narrative is totally different.

Klopp constantly screams and waves at the crowd at Anfield to make more noise and that is seen as passion. Pep does it and it's seen as a dig at our fans.

Pep is finally calling the FA and media out for what they are and every City fan should get behind him. We all know they're biased and bent and we have a gaffa who will fight the cause.

He's frustrated because he is clearly seeing the referees and media judge City differently to other teams. Referees are supposed to be impartial but there are far to many instances this season where they have tried to screw us over.

Nolito gets banned for a petulant slight headbutt. Fabregas gets away with slapping Fernandinho in the face.

Aguero gets a retrospective ban against West Ham. Vertonghan and Ibrahimovic both escape retrospective action for violent conduct.

The referees choose when to apply the laws of the game. Look at the statistics over the last 3 seasons. Our foul to yellow card ratio compared to our opponents is staggering.

Lee Mason can happily allow help from the 4th official to send off Fernandinho, but Anthony Taylor cannot wait to dismiss Aguero's claim for a foul when Luiz should have been sent off.

We put a dominant 2nd half performance in against Arsenal and the media focus on the legitimacy is the goals, whereas United score two offside goals which were far more blatant than ours and the media narrative is totally different.

Klopp constantly screams and waves at the crowd at Anfield to make more noise and that is seen as passion. Pep does it and it's seen as a dig at our fans.

Pep is finally calling the FA and media out for what they are and every City fan should get behind him. We all know they're biased and bent and we have a gaffa who will fight the cause.
Brilliant post, bravo blue.

spot on mate

"We expect special treatment because we do play by our own rules"

Good post that, and I agree with a lot, but if what you say about English / Prem league style being out of sync with rest of the world, and Crouch etc being shown up at international level were true, why is it that English referees are so feted at international level, and have had so many of the big games in recent years? (or maybe it just seems that way). Surely if we did play by our own (interpretation) of the rules, our refs wouldnt be getting those jobs?

A good question to consider. I do recall our refs being regarded as better at dealing with simulation. Plus, not many occasions that English teams or the national team have been involved in big finals!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.