Personal Injury Solicitors

Totnes Blue said:
Just like the good old USA.They are nothing more than ambulance chasers.
Good point, though some more information needed. What is your personal experience of the American personal injury model ?

Should a person negligent not be liable to compensate victims ? If you think not, that would free up the courts for traffic violations, littering and nuisance noise crimes, lets face it they are the biggest blight to society

The other side of the coin is that people with genuine injuries are forced to seek legal advice and medical reports to get the compensation they deserve. There are also a lot of people who just don't bother claiming. The fraudsters grab the headlines, but not everybody who makes a personal injury claim is a crook.

mammutly said:
The other side of the coin is that people with genuine injuries are forced to seek legal advice and medical reports to get the compensation they deserve. There are also a lot of people who just don't bother claiming. The fraudsters grab the headlines, but not everybody who makes a personal injury claim is a crook.
there's good and bad in every profession and the good solicitors who work tirelessly to get a payout for someone who's been seriously injured deserve credit.It just seems that there are far more of the bent one's,thats not from reading 'the Sun' or any tabloid paper its from speaking to people over the years,solicitors included.

talkativesprout said:
Totnes Blue said:
Good point, though some more information needed. What is your personal experience of the American personal injury model ?

Should a person negligent not be liable to compensate victims ? If you think not, that would free up the courts for traffic violations, littering and nuisance noise crimes, lets face it they are the biggest blight to society

There is a distinct point of difference between the British and US models of compensation, namely that in the US courts can and frequently do impose punitive sanctions on unsuccessful defendants, whereas our system merely seeks to put people back in the position they would have been if it were not for the injury they sustained.

I believe it is why we don't have a treaty with the US recognising civil debts that have been awarded in US courts.

unsworthblue said:
mammutly said:
there's good and bad in every profession and the good solicitors who work tirelessly to get a payout for someone who's been seriously injured deserve credit.It just seems that there are far more of the bent one's,thats not from reading 'the Sun' or any tabloid paper its from speaking to people over the years,solicitors included.

I agree, mate. Both sides have solicitors and they play a game between themselves that benefits nobody but themselves. Did you know that a lot of them charge £200 an hour? An hour is made up of 10 x 6 minute blocks, which is the minimal charging period. So literally, if they spend 20 secs reading an e mail, that is £20 on the bill. So even the £200 an hour figure can be a massive understatement of the actual charges. Sometimes the legal bill can easily be twice as much as the settlement. Often insurance companies will pay up £500 or so without asking any questions -just to avoid paying the lawyers.

Electric Blue said:
pm me pal I have had very good service from a Mcr based firm for my family twice in the last 18 months-very professional and efficient
nice little referral fee for you there pal,if you get the gig

gordondaviesmoustache said:
talkativesprout said:
Totnes Blue said:

There is a distinct point of difference between the British and US models of compensation, namely that in the US courts can and frequently do impose punitive sanctions on unsuccessful defendants, whereas our system merely seeks to put people back in the position they would have been if it were not for the injury they sustained.

I believe it is why we don't have a treaty with the US recognising civil debts that have been awarded in US courts.

Far beyond my understanding, but i do recognise a daily mail reader when i see one ;)

mammutly said:
unsworthblue said:
mammutly said:

I agree, mate. Both sides have solicitors and they play a game between themselves that benefits nobody but themselves. Did you know that a lot of them charge £200 an hour? An hour is made up of 10 x 6 minute blocks, which is the minimal charging period. So literally, if they spend 20 secs reading an e mail, that is £20 on the bill. So even the £200 an hour figure can be a massive understatement of the actual charges. Sometimes the legal bill can easily be twice as much as the settlement. Often insurance companies will pay up £500 or so without asking any questions -just to avoid paying the lawyers.
i remember the other year when (without going into detail) i took somebody to court and after years of legal wrangles and receiving my solicitors bills (with a breakdown of the charges) i decided i will do my utmost to never have to deal with solicitors ever again,the firm of solicitors stretched out the process beyond belief,my own stupid fault for trusting this firm but thats how i used to view solicitors,as people who are there to help you out for financial gain of course,unbelievable the depths these people will lower themselves to all for money

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.