Peter Barnes

Peter Barnes what a player ,him & Tueart causing mayhem on the wings.
Always remember when he won young player of the year & went up to receive his trophy .
He was a shy white ashen faced lad ,If i remember correctly the words he muttered out were ?
I would just like to say ,i would just like to say then silence ,he couldn't get his words out .
I was only 11 at the time, but i wanted the ground to open up & swallow him to save him from the ordeal he was facing .
Didn't affect him though ,now he can speak his head off talking all football matters , especially City .

Has a chat with Peter at Southampton 0:0 a couple of years back. We talked about the huge missed opportunity in '77... should have won the league.. would have really changed everything
Swales was a nutter but definitelycwas a blue which is a big help. Peter reckoned he would have really kicked us on with quality investments.. might not have led to where we are now though of course
Swales wasn’t a blue he was an opportunist City we’re just unlucky it was us he worked his way in to

Peter Barnes what a player ,him & Tueart causing mayhem on the wings.
Always remember when he won young player of the year & went up to receive his trophy .
He was a shy white ashen faced lad ,If i remember correctly the words he muttered out were ?
I would just like to say ,i would just like to say then silence ,he couldn't get his words out .
I was only 11 at the time, but i wanted the ground to open up & swallow him to save him from the ordeal he was facing .
Didn't affect him though ,now he can speak his head off talking all football matters , especially City .
Dickie Davis, the MC on the night, just stood there why he didn’t step forward and help Pete I never know Pete said all he could hear was Kevin Keeghan saying “Peter just say anything”

Swales wasn’t a blue he was an opportunist City we’re just unlucky it was us he worked his way in to
I think he threw a fair at it..unwisely in a lot of cases...i think he was a blue
.peter and ken thought so too..according PB

Remember Barnes's goal against Jennings? Jennings had superb timing in coming out when a player was through, and was extremely canny in knowing exactly when to block a shot with his legs. Saw him do it time and time again. Peter knew that, and his phenomenal acceleration gave him time to think. Waited. Drew the gesture from Jennings…
Then just dinked him. Easy peasy.
I was on the Kippax for that one, but at the far end, and didn't quite realise how good it was until I saw it on telly. A golden memory. Crystal clear, even at a distance of about half a century.
I was in north stand
Glad you remembered that goal
Buzzing

Comparing then to now, we were a bizarre basket case of a club. It was apparently Swales' utter hatred of ManUre that drove him on to do what he did.

He wanted City to become a behemoth & put our dough where his mouth was. Unfortunately he entrusted these millions to Allison who was often spoken of as being a coach who was ahead of his time, but he was a shit manager who thought he was playing with Monopoly money... :-/
Allison clearly wanted ro build his own team but the wholesale clear out of experienced internationals who were proven, top flight players and two highly regarded young players was madness. The fact that these players were sold and snapped up by other teams for relatively modest fees and replaced at huge expense by vastly inferior players (£300,000 for Bobby Shinton from Wrexham !) shows how deluded Swales and Allison both were.

Allison clearly wanted ro build his own team but the wholesale clear out of experienced internationals who were proven, top flight players and two highly regarded young players was madness. The fact that these players were sold and snapped up by other teams for relatively modest fees and replaced at huge expense by vastly inferior players (£300,000 for Bobby Shinton from Wrexham !) shows how deluded Swales and Allison both were.
But surely there were others who pointed out this madness to Swales & Allison in the boardroom?

After all Book had done & achieved, Swales completely overreacted by bringing in Allison, just because we were in 9th at the halfway stage after finishing second the season before. NUTS!!

Swales & Allison went for revolution over evolution... :-/

I was in north stand
Glad you remembered that goal
Buzzing

Funny thing is, my memory's playing tricks on me. I distinctly remember that as being scored at the Platt Lane end. That's why I say I was at the far end of the Kippax. I always used to stand just to the left of the stanchion underneath Trumann's For Steel — that is, north stand end (or scoreboard end, as an old timer like me prefers to call it!). I'd elbow people out the way as I moved down the terraces. Usually worked. When it was absolutely rammed on the Kippax I'd occasionally have to stand to the right of the stanchion. But I'd be disgruntled about it!
So I was in fact pretty much level with it. But that's not how I remember it. Must be thinking of another brilliant goal by Peter, scored at the other end.
Do you remember that scintillating set-piece goal scored by Franny in the Charity Shield match with West Brom (summer, ’68)? I think it was probably the slickest set piece goal I've ever seen scored, by anyone. Normal, City's nickname in the press at the time was the City Slickers.
It was a free kick, from just beyond the box. Franny combined with Nelly, I think. West Brom simply didn't know whether they were coming or going. If you normally stood in the scoreboard end, you would have had a perfect view of the whole thing. But perhaps you're not a FOC like me, and it's before your time…

He wanted City to become a behemoth & put our dough where his mouth was. Unfortunately he entrusted these millions to Allison who was often spoken of as being a coach who was ahead of his time, but he was a shit manager who thought he was playing with Monopoly money... :-/

Classic case of a man who needed a senior partner with more gravitas, and a deeper knowledge of the game, to be effective. That man was of course Joe.
Some comparisons with the Clough/Taylor partnership possible there.

Classic case of a man who needed a senior partner with more gravitas, and a deeper knowledge of the game, to be effective. That man was of course Joe.
Some comparisons with the Clough/Taylor partnership possible there.
Joe Mercer and John Bond said this. Allison had the ability to make players better but when he had sole (the main) responsibility for managing a team he couldn't do it. What did he achieve at City after Mercer left and in 2 spells at Crystal Palace (an FA Cup Semi in 1976 after relegating them to the old Division 3) ? Definitely a good coach but never a manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.