Peter Doherty

My Dad loved Colin but always said Peter D was better
I used to talk older City fans in the early 90's who has passed about the City games I'd just been to he was 85 and losing his sight, I never saw Peter Doherty play but old Joe always said Peter Doherty was the best City player he'd ever seen.
The best goalkeeper he ever saw was Bert Trautman and the best player he had ever seen was Duncan Edwards.

Looking at the fifa pes stats for Peter Doherty and George Best. Best looks a much more gifted footballer.
Always thought it weird that Best only won 37 caps for Northern Ireland (scoring 9 goals) and that was in a team that never achieved anything significant during his playing time. If he was that great he'd have won many more caps.

I used to talk older City fans in the early 90's who has passed about the City games I'd just been to he was 85 and losing his sight, I never saw Peter Doherty play but old Joe always said Peter Doherty was the best City player he'd ever seen.
The best goalkeeper he ever saw was Bert Trautman and the best player he had ever seen was Duncan Edwards.
My dad thought Frank Swift was better he couldn't believe the size of his hands but loved Peter Doherty so stylish, Colin was next on his list and top of mine.

My dad thought Frank Swift was better he couldn't believe the size of his hands but loved Peter Doherty so stylish, Colin was next on his list and top of mine.
Joe told me he found out about Bert Trautman unloading bricks in St Helens some Scousers told him City had one better than Swift now he didn't believe them at the time, he also loved Frank Swift, he just felt Bert had something special about him. I'm sure they were both great.

Always thought it weird that Best only won 37 caps for Northern Ireland (scoring 9 goals) and that was in a team that never achieved anything significant during his playing time. If he was that great he'd have won many more caps.

Come on Stan, you should know why he didn’t achieve more. Hic

That’s Roy Clarke

Yes,manager of the City social club when I went in the 70s.
I appreciate that lads.

By the way...I'm getting presented with a winners medal for the Holgate shield.

The guy at the back is Eamonn O Neil who was our teacher/coach. You might remember him from Granada TV and GMR amongst other things.Eamonn is the managing editor of MEN Media. Previously he was executive producer, head of regional programmes and acting director of broadcasting at ITV Granada. He was executive producer of ITV's flagship daytime programme, This Morning and one of the launch executives for Manchester United Television.

My late Dad was a difficult man to please, but whenever he mentioned Peter Doherty he went very dewy eyed and emotional, he said he was the best player he has seen in our shirt by a long way.

PS: My Dad also said the fee was around 10,000 pounds at the time that was crazy money and the older fans though it was outrageous the club had paid that sum, Doherty made the fee look like a bargain.

Last edited:
I appreciate that lads.

By the way...I'm getting presented with a winners medal for the Holgate shield.

The guy at the back is Eamonn O Neil who was our teacher/coach. You might remember him from Granada TV and GMR amongst other things.Eamonn is the managing editor of MEN Media. Previously he was executive producer, head of regional programmes and acting director of broadcasting at ITV Granada. He was executive producer of ITV's flagship daytime programme, This Morning and one of the launch executives for Manchester United Television.
Just had a closer look at that and it is haha, he’s a very good friend of a very good friend, I may pass that on if ok mate ?

A friend of mine's dad always said Doherty was the greatest he saw.

One of Maine Road's highest attended games was an FA Cup semi final between Derby and Birmingham and apparently the gate was swelled by many City fans going to see Doherty who at that time had transferred to Derby.

His son used to produce the sports programmes for Granada and I think even the early City videos.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.