Phil Brown

Yes. Their circumstances didn't warrant it at all. There was no 'great escape'. This was a team that had plummetted from a seemingly safe position at Christmas due to some shocking management, and only managed to stay up because Villa beat Newcastle. The guy seems to have no humility whatsoever.

Football365 summed it up perfectly:
Did anyone else's opinion of Phil Brown and his public pep-talk at Manchester City come into immediate and profound review upon watching him strut on to the pitch without a hint of humility and serenade the Hull fans in the wake of his side's defeat to a youth team? That the song sung had a personal theme - "this is the best trip I've ever been on" - seemed disconcertingly apt.

"I've never done that before," he continued afterwards. "I've never conducted 25,000 people before. Well, maybe in church. And this is my church."

God help them then.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8742_5347284,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 84,00.html</a>

I know they survived and to be fair it is an achievement. The vast majority of people tipped Hull and Stoke as certainties for relegation. But after only one victory in the last twenty two matches (more that half a season), I honestly think it was an embarrassment to be out there celebrating

To be honest, I think there's something wrong with the bloke. They escaped relegation on the final day of the season simply because both Newvastle and Boro have been by far the worst advert for Premier League football since Derby County and Sunderland under Mick Mcarthy.

The Deila Smith bit can, to a certain extent, be forgiven: she was trying to rouse the troops and she'd obviously been freely imbibing (we've all been there, surely?). But Phil Brown was strutting about as if his side had just clinched a Champions League berth instead of being beaten at home by a bunch of 2nd team stiffs.

I think this particular episode is going to come back and haunt the mahogany one in years to come.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.