Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by twosips, 23 Jul 2019.

1. @BluePhil8

@BluePhil8

Why is the League your only measurement? The Cups are just as important, how many minutes has he had overall? I'm willing to bet he and Garcia will start and play 90 mins vs Fulham.

2. Bazzmand Show

Bazzmand Show

Which players were those...? Lionel Messi was playing before Pep as an FYI.

3. @BluePhil8

@BluePhil8

[​IMG]

Looks like plenty of minutes to me? If he keeps going he will likely finish the season on about 1500 minutes - the equivelant of 16 full 90 minute games. I don't see anything wrong with that when we have Gundogan, Silva, Bernardo, Kevin, Rodri and Fernandinho available in midfield.

I would like to see him start more league games in tge second half of the season - but posting only League minutes is pretty poor.

alexmcity and karen7 like this.
  4. Clercqs

Clercqs

Games against Preston (b team), Port Vale, Oxford and Fulham aren't really that attractive for his development. It's better than nothing but I'd say 15 minutes in a competitive PL game will give him more than 90 minutes against Port Vale.

5. Tugay One Cup

Tugay One Cup

That's not something he's repeated since. And, when you look at it, there was literally one teenager in his squad, Bojan, who played 30+ games for the first team in the season before Pep joined. The only one he can seriously take credit for giving their first opportunity is Busquets. The season after he started giving Pedro a go.

He improves nearly every one he coaches but I think he sees giving kids a chance as too much of a risk. I understand that, up until now he's been a short term manager, but if ever there was a season to take that risk then it's this one.

6. Tugay One Cup

Tugay One Cup

It's about trusting him against decent opposition, for me.

The bulk of his games have come in Europe and the League cup, against pretty shite opposition. The reason why it's frustrating is because he has shown himself in nearly every game to be way, way above their standard and then we've got experienced first team players who have repeatedly looked piss poor in the league.

7. karen7

karen7

They are not trying to get into a team like ours,kev said phil is playing more total mins than he did at his age

8. domalino

domalino

Kev has a shit memory.

He'd played 4577 minutes before turning 20.

Which means Foden needs to play 26 full 90 minute games before the end of the season to have played as much as Kev had at the same age.

To put that in perspective that would mean him playing 90 minutes in every league game, the League Cup semi and final, the FA Cup all the way through to the final and both legs of the Champions League last 16, quarter- and semi-finals.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2020
  9. FromPollockToSilva

FromPollockToSilva

Bringing players through at Barça was also totally different as he’d coached all of them in competitive second division games for the B team. His record at Bayern and now City are much more indicative of his views on promoting young players

10. domalino

domalino

The reassuring thing about you Karen is that I know you will say Pep is right not to play him until the day he gets fed up and walks out the door.

And when he does you will have all the excuses ready and then claim it was the right decision by the club, and you'll maintain that even if he went on to win multiple Ballon d'Or and go down as the best english player in history.