#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love to be proven wrong, but I still think he’s going to struggle to get minutes in the league this season, especially if De Bruyne, Gundogan and Silva stay fit. He might not even make the bench for our first few league games.
Tend to agree. With Rodri coming in it probably means Gundogan will be used more further forward so there's a bit more competition than last season. Also, you have to factor in KDB who barely played last season.

Hopefully we will see him slowly take more and more of Merlin's minutes,as we phase him out of the side.

I’m not sure he’ll be phased out as such, I could still see him starting 26-28 league games. The Rodri signing basically means Gundogan will no longer be needed as a DM, so he’ll now be first choice to come in when KDB and Silva are rested.

Watching him walk down to the Liverpool end with all the whistles and boos, and see him dispatch that penalty showed what great strength of character he has. Really think this year will be his year to really break into the team on a regular basis. He’s ready!

He is a 19yr old City fan, who is playing for his boyhood team. When he walked up to take that penalty in front of all those scouse twats, not at any point did he look nervous or like he was going to miss. We all know that given the opposition it was a serious matter winning that game.

Many on here seem to worry about him getting in the side and even suggesting he may go or be better going out on loan. Pep seems to have made pretty clear about his thoughts on how good Phil is, he also seems to be pretty clear on how he loves the lad, I dont think Pep likes letting him out of his sight let alone out on loan. He will play more this season than last and will continue to improve.

I am convinced we have the perfect manager to make sure he becomes an absolute legend for both City and England and given his age it might just be that Phil Foden is the reason our manager stays at Manchester City longer than most expect.

Pep Guardiola on @PhilFoden: “He is smart. He plays with Kevin De Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo [Silva], [Ilkay] Gundogan, Fernandinho, Rodri. If a young player goes to Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, it is not easy to play regularly...” #MCFC

"His passion is he loves to be here. He had a lot of minutes [last season] and will have a lot of minutes, a lot of games. I'm sure he is going to help us and hopefully we can help him to be a better player...”

“Of course he is a big talent but he has many things to improve. He is open and we will do it together."

I’d love to be proven wrong, but I still think he’s going to struggle to get minutes in the league this season, especially if De Bruyne, Gundogan and Silva stay fit. He might not even make the bench for our first few league games.

when we play spurs next week fernandinho will be back, and foden will be out of the 18.

can see de bruyne making 30+ starts, silva 25 and gundogan 15, which would leave around 5 free for foden (even then, that's assuming bernardo is played exclusively on the right). so outside of the cups, this will be another quiet season for him.

in 20/21 however, we'll have an attacking midfield four of de bruyne, bernardo, gundogan and foden, with foden picking up an extra 10 games where bernardo is rotated on the wing with sterling. 15 starts aged 20 would be very encouraging, and if all goes according to plan he should get promoted to undisputed 3rd choice (aged 22) once gundogan is moved on in 2022, very much knocking on the door of the first team.

obviously all depends on whether he fulfils his early potential but the point is, given silva's age and bernardo's versatility, he's got a pretty clear path to borderline first team football (as in 25+ starts) by the time he's approaching his mid-20s, provided he puts in the performances to earn that status.

he's a nice level-headed kid who likes fishing, and he'll have the good sense to remain patient for another year.

Incredibly excited to see our lad kick on this season.

Ridiculous talent. He had 7 goals but only 2 assists last season, which seems oddly skewed for a midfielder, but when you watch that video, you realise that the only reason he had so few assists is because the player who received the final ball tended to make a complete hash of it, even when it was put on a plate. He really should have had about 10+ assists.

Hopefully we will see him slowly take more and more of Merlin's minutes,as we phase him out of the side.

Doesn’t that depend on how well Silva plays? Pep will obviously manage his game time to keep him fresh, but if he delivers the goods he’ll still be a regular starter in most Pl and Cl games

Doesn’t that depend on how well Silva plays? Pep will obviously manage his game time to keep him fresh, but if he delivers the goods he’ll still be a regular starter in most Pl and Cl games

Based on his useage of Silva and Fernandinho last season, when we were all screaming about resting them but he just continued to play them 3x a week, I think Pep will use Silva as much as possible until he completely runs out of steam.

I think best case scenario for Phil is something like Bernardo's first season when he comes off the bench almost every game and starts about 5-10 league games, 7 or 8 cup games and a couple of CL games if the draw goes our way.

Which would mean 40+ appearances and 15-20 starts which at 19 years old would be loads.

Based on his useage of Silva and Fernandinho last season, when we were all screaming about resting them but he just continued to play them 3x a week, I think Pep will use Silva as much as possible until he completely runs out of steam.

I think best case scenario for Phil is something like Bernardo's first season when he comes off the bench almost every game and starts about 5-10 league games, 7 or 8 cup games and a couple of CL games if the draw goes our way.

Which would mean 40+ appearances and 15-20 starts which at 19 years old would be loads.

There will be an inevitable injury at some point which means Foden will get a few starts here and there in a short spell in the league I think. He'll get more than last season, yet again, and that's all we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.