Photograhing the Northern Lights Advice Please

Lrrr

In December we shall be heading out to Finnish Lapland to have xmas dinner with Santa and hopefully catch a display of the Northern Lights. I am not particularly familiar with cameras, just have a normal low end digital camera for everyday sort of general shots. Now I appreciate that this will not be suitable but really have little idea as to what I should be looking at, I gather low ISO for long exposure shots is one of the features I should look for. Therefore could anyone advise on cameras (by budget would be approx £300 top) or camera shops where I would gain some decent advice without being fleece into buying something unsuitable for too much money. Thanks

Lrrr said:
In December we shall be heading out to Finnish Lapland to have xmas dinner with Santa and hopefully catch a display of the Northern Lights. I am not particularly familiar with cameras, just have a normal low end digital camera for everyday sort of general shots. Now I appreciate that this will not be suitable but really have little idea as to what I should be looking at, I gather low ISO for long exposure shots is one of the features I should look for. Therefore could anyone advise on cameras (by budget would be approx £300 top) or camera shops where I would gain some decent advice without being fleece into buying something unsuitable for too much money. Thanks

I do a bit of amateur photography but I'm no expert so what follows is my opinion on what you should be looking to use.

Canon or Nikon is the way to go imo, you can get a 600D or a D5100 for around £400. These generally come with a kit lens, the 18-55mm wide angle would be ok for a start. Try digitalRev, all products are sourced in Hong Kong so you get quite a hefty reduction off the UK high street price...probably why Jessops went under!!

You will need a tripod and probably some off camera lighting to get the shots you want. You will need to know enough to set the camera up manually, some trial and error with long exposure times will be needed..and some patience. In general you should keep the aperture stopped down and the ISO as low as possible without introducing lots of noise, with long exposure times you should get crystal clear images particularly if you introduce some off camera flash.

I'd love to see the shots you get..

Sounds like a good trip.

I'd ask myself though is it worth spending that much on a camera to capture something that may not happen. If it does happen then will you get a decent shot and still enjoy the moment instead of just trying to make sure you get the best shot?

I'd always go Nikon as they are more solidly made and won't fall apart if you drop them.

About 70 seconds exposure is what I used to use, but that was because my fingers then started to freeze! Northern Lights is the reason I went over to digital, just to save wasted film.

Thanks for the replies, they have given me some ideas as to what to look for. Hopefully will decided which to get well before we go and have a good practice well in advance.
It will be a dissapointment if we don't see the northern lights but have decided to buy a reasonable camera regardless.
I can never get a good shot at night with disposable cameras so have decided not to consider that option thanks!

Spend the money to get on the DSLR ladder - Canon or Nikon, it doesn't matter. I bought a 600D in December (just before Jessops went under) and am loving the power/flexibility its brought to my photography - I'm still thrashing about a bit but its coming slowly - you can practise at home first by doing some night time star photography - the first time you get a decent star shot you'll be well chuffed. You might have to wait for the current inclement weather to pass though :-(

No mate, you want HIGH ISO not low, you want to increase the sensitivity of the CCD so that your exposure time is less. That's if you are taking .jpg if yoe are taking RAW it doesn't matter.

All in here, read it before you go:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.alaskaphotographyblog.com/how-to-photograph-the-northern-lights-with-a-digital-camera/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.alaskaphotographyblog.com/ho ... al-camera/</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.