Pick one retired player, living or dead, to add to the current team.

Pity you didn’t stipulate ex City players only. If that were the case I would go for a left back as that is the most obvious area of weakness.
Willie Donarchie would do a better job than Mendy ever could - bombing down the wing and putting crosses in.

However, Nelly (Glyn Pardoe; my favourite player as a kid) would do a job as a right footed left back. He’d fit into Pep’s system no problem.

Nelly at left back and Cancello at right back would give great balance as inverted wing backs when in possession.

As a kid I was one of those scruffy urchins selling the MEN (in the days before it became a rag fanzine) half time and final score papers at the match out of the back of the big yellow MEN printing van. Maine Rd one week and that shit hole the other. I was at the Derby when Nelly got his broken leg. We (scruffy paper selling kids) never got inside the ground until they opened the gates at three quarter time and I was walking round Old Trafford when I saw an ambulance. I walked over at the same time Glyn was being put into it. I didn’t say anything but waved, shyly, to him and he smiled back. I have a vivid picture in my mind of him laying on the stretcher (down to the beads of sweat on his face) and can still smell the lineament which filled the air whenever I think about it.

Anyway, Glyn Pardoe at left back.

Pity you didn’t stipulate ex City players only. If that were the case I would go for a left back as that is the most obvious area of weakness.
Willie Donarchie would do a better job than Mendy ever could - bombing down the wing and putting crosses in.

However, Nelly (Glyn Pardoe; my favourite player as a kid) would do a job as a right footed left back. He’d fit into Pep’s system no problem.

Nelly at left back and Cancello at right back would give great balance as inverted wing backs when in possession.

As a kid I was one of those scruffy urchins selling the MEN (in the days before it became a rag fanzine) half time and final score papers at the match out of the back of the big yellow MEN printing van. Maine Rd one week and that shit hole the other. I was at the Derby when Nelly got his broken leg. We (scruffy paper selling kids) never got inside the ground until they opened the gates at three quarter time and I was walking round Old Trafford when I saw an ambulance. I walked over at the same time Glyn was being put into it. I didn’t say anything but waved, shyly, to him and he smiled back. I have a vivid picture in my mind of him laying on the stretcher (down to the beads of sweat on his face) and can still smell the lineament which filled the air whenever I think about it.

Anyway, Glyn Pardoe at left back.
I enjoyed that post

If we didn't already have three quality CBs, I'd say Ronald Koeman. Free kicks and penalties would suddenly be sorted out.

Apologies for this - I feel dirty as I write it - but I think fake Ronaldo aged around 27 would be the player to make the team invincible.

He was fast, a great finisher, could take penalties reliably and very strong in the air - the only worry would be whether his ego would allow him to put the team first.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.